Water/Grain Ratio

yes and it needs to be at least once a year I've replace the impellers twice in 6 years too

Now I gotta get home and see him many amps my circuit is. I believe it’s a dedicated circuit for the washing machine. Well I know it’s the outlet for the washing machine! I’m just not sure it’s dedicated! :D If I recall, it’s a 20 amp circuit. The Mash & Boil takes 14.9 amps, and the pump takes 1.9

a 20 will work just fine as long as a dishwasher or microwave or refrigerated is not on that circuit, I have a 20 for my small rig with a 2000 watt element and its always pooping the breaker when the dishwasher is running

I know a 20 amp circuit will work fine. The total draw would be just under 17 amps. I think that outlet is on its own circuit, and my wife never does laundry on brew days. I just need to confirm what I think I remember, or I’ll have to find a nearby outlet on another circuit for the pump.

Reminds me of when we used to go RVing. We could not run the air conditioning, the water heater, and a hair dryer together. That was more than the 30 amps we had. Fortunately, the water heater could be switched over to propane. So we did that every morning when the air was on. And then switch it back to electric which, unlike propane, was included with the site rental.

I pulled the trigger on the chugger pump. I’m thinking I should be able to use it my next brew day. I hope it helps with both temp control and efficiency.

One last question: is it necessary to stir the mash if you have circulation? Currently, I stir every 15-20 minutes. (I’m using the Mash & Boil, which is a BIAB type of brewing.)

Last edited:
I only stir right when I start mashing then again half way through and that's all unless I batch sparge ill stir after the water fills up the second time

Cool. This electric kettle takes longer, but since
I’m now in the basement instead of the garage, it’s easier and more convenient to give attention to other batches that need racked or kegged. The less attention I can give to the mash, the more I can do other things, brewing or otherwise. Next brew day is Friday. I should have that pump built for my system by then.

Yeah, the one you mentioned. I’m hoping my homebrew store has all of the fittings I need. I know they have the tubing.

I saw that. Makes me wonder what the primary purpose of that pump is. Are there a lot of homebrewers using 3/4”? I doubt it!

It's because you need positive pressure leaving the pump, we just use a ball valve but they have it built in

Here’s that pic, OMB

Attachments

• DC0BEB8C-0AB1-42C5-A257-4F57970DE97D.jpeg
    DC0BEB8C-0AB1-42C5-A257-4F57970DE97D.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 145
I plan to brew both Friday and Saturday. Tracking says the fittings will be here by end of day Friday. I’m looking forward to this.

make sure you do a hot water leak test first, and when you recirculate start out very slow at first and watch it close

First run recirculating today. No leaks. Interestingly, the pump is able to suck out more wort than the basket can pass through. I backed it off to a fairly slow rate (which was the plan anyway), and it recirculated like a charm. Of course, the whole time I worried that the clamp holding the return hose would come loose, and I’d have a 6 gallon mess of wort on the floor!!

Great, next batch, if possible have them mill the grain bigger and you might not have that problem, around a credit card gap with almost no flour

Back