Water/Grain Ratio

It’s a solid basket, except only the bottom is a screen. That’s a lot of water that has to go through the entire basket just to get out. I think I had a 1-2 gallon/minute flow rate going. I’m happy with that.

I did notice that the grains were packed tighter than they usually are, but that makes sense with all that sort pushing down on them.

That’s one thing I didn’t pay much attention to today. I had other things going on. Tomorrow I’ll brew another. Hopefully I can spend more time watching it.

I hit 70% on this batch again. Lower than my BIAB, but less trub as well. That means I’m able to have an ending kettle of 6 gallons instead of 6.5. I hit my expected OG, so I’m happy. I just didn’t want to have to buy more grain to get my OG where it needs to be. It’ll be interesting to see if there’s a difference in clarity with this beer. I’m not looking for suggestions on improving efficiency. I’m doing what I’ve alway done, and I’m still happy with the results. Lower efficiency but less trub, so less wort required. Kind of a push, right?

Yup just m as make sure your using finings to drop the rest and your set for clearer beer, good luck

I did notice that the grains were much more compacted than they were in my previous batches. I found that interesting. Overall, I’m glad I made the switch. Much more comfortable in the basement.

Yea and the compacting grain is your filter and why theirs less trub

My previous Mash & Boil brews (no recirculation) have also had less trub than my BIAB batches.

Back