Red ale with Munich and Chocolate Malt

The Green Man

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the site and just wanted to pick your brains on my grist for a BIAB Red ale recipe. This is my 7th brew on my very small scale set-up. My BIAB is bagless because I use a big pasta pot with in-built collander. Does the job well.

The BF website says this recipe is matching the style and I imagine my final ale will approximate a biscuity, slightly coffee tasting Red. Should have some body to it, but not overly sweet, I'm thinking.

Batch size 6 Litres

Grist
Maris Otter 500g
Pilsner 500g
Munich 100g
Chocolate malt 40g

Mash 90mins at 65c
Boil 90 mins
Hops Tettnanger 5g FWH
Saaz 10g 20 mins
Saaz 10g aroma steep

Yeast Nottingham 5g

Any thoughts or impressions appreciated.

Assessing the recipe and offering feedback is easier when you share the recipe and post the link. That way all the stats, percentages, etc is all right there.
That being said, at a glance, it seems fine...I'm not fluent in metric, so I have to do a little extrapolation and guess work. :)

My last pale ale i did with MO wad a bit too thick on mouth feel i would like to try 50/50 pils/Mo to lighten the mouthfeel some without adding cane sugar.

Ive not got round to brewing a red ale as yet. The recipie looks tasty to me if not red enough this time try a little roast malt maybe.

Thanks guys. Glad that my Munich Chocolate combo in a Red Ale isn't too out there.
The recipe is listed as Kirishima Red. I need to learn how to embed it in these posts now.
Appreciate the comments, so thanks again..will probably post again here about how it turned out.
Cheers.

Just copy the link, and include it in your post. The forum will make it clickable.

Just copy the link, and include it in your post. The forum will make it clickable.
Assuming that you're using the BF calculator...
First be sure that it's public - that's the default if you don't uncheck the "Share Recipe" box near the top of the page. If it's not public, you can access the share feature in the "Recipe Tools" dropdown menu.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of Crystal malts, but I cannot imagine any Red/Amber ale without additions of Crystal malt.

If you simply want the color, then brew your favourite IPA and put some beet juice in the fermenter for the color.

If you want a Red ale, then you need some maltiness / characted in there. Maris Otter and Munich are indeed " aromatic ", but they come nowhere close to the " Red " taste.

I've made some beautiful red's with nothing but Red X malt. Just aim for a gravity around 1.050 for the most intense red color.

I am not a fan of Crystal malts, but I cannot imagine any Red/Amber ale without additions of Crystal malt.

If you simply want the color, then brew your favourite IPA and put some beet juice in the fermenter for the color.

If you want a Red ale, then you need some maltiness / characted in there. Maris Otter and Munich are indeed " aromatic ", but they come nowhere close to the " Red " taste.

I think you're probably right. A bit of Crystal malt would have probably been a good idea. I'm kind of new to this and am looking forward to seeing exactly what the final beer will taste like. I should get a good idea of the taste impact of munich and chocolate malt with this brew.
Doesn't Beet juice add some vegetable flavour?

Magnum makes a better bittering hop. I'd save the Tet for late hopping something. It's a great flavor/aroma hop.

Im betting you'll like the results Green man. Throw some crystal in next time if you think it needs it...

it seems fine...I'm not fluent in metric, so I have to do a little extrapolation and guess work. :)
well you will eventually have to learn my friend
off top of my head its
17.5 oz each MO and Pils
3.5 oz Munich
nearly 1.5 oz choc
Otherwise the posts above have covered it very well .
attached link for last red ale i did , mid strength and very popular !
keg blew in a hurry and it wasn't even at my place ( cube and starter care packages to one of my apprentices )
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/487429

off top of my head its
17.5 oz each MO and Pils
3.5 oz Munich
nearly 1.5 oz choc
Even if it's not metric, it's easier to see and evaluate the relationship between the ingredients in the calculator where percentages and IBUs are given. I think in terms of percentages more than anything else when it comes to malt bills and amounts of hops are meaningless without AA% and IBU contribution. ;)

1.7 gallon batch..
1.3 Lb. of Pilsner
1.1 Lb. of Maris Otter
2.47 oz. of Flaked oate
3.53 oz. of Munich 10L
1.6 oz. of chocolate
Did I get this right? Is it converted right as a dumb American?

1.7 gallon batch..
1.3 Lb. of Pilsner
1.1 Lb. of Maris Otter
2.47 oz. of Flaked oate
3.53 oz. of Munich 10L
1.6 oz. of chocolate
Did I get this right? Is it converted right as a dumb American?
Right or wrong, I wouldn't know, but I appreciate your effort.
Cheers!

Reporting back on this ale. Only two weeks in the bottle and already quite happy. I know it will improve with more time and that is something I'm working on (next batch will be 10 litres). The colour is not really red, but more brown. Taste wise it is quite light and dry. The hop bitterness is a bit strong, but know from another brew and comments that that will improve with time. Malty complexity is there too. Can really taste the Munich and the chocolate definitely gives it something. I'm happy with it. Think the Notty was a good choice for yeast, as my experience of reds is not estery. As was commented, a little crystal would've given it a slight sweetness that it lacks. That is the only change I'd make, plus some reddening malt... Welcome all opinions.

Back