I brewed today!

How so you like recirculating durin the mash.
Nice clear runnings at the end hey?
I don't have the right sparge arm at the moment, still noodling around with what I want. But whirlpooling during chilling has been really helpful in a lot of ways, including wort clarity. There was a nice cone on trub in the middle of the kettle when I transferred to the fermenter

Ben, did all your equipment mods help with the GF brewing? Sure hope some of it will getcha some bennies to lessen the sting of having to give up malts.
Yeah it sure did being able to step mash sure did. Having the mash basket did too.
Seriously thinking of purchasing some enzymes for the next batch to aid in conversion though.
And maybe do an overnight mash.

Yeah it sure did being able to step mash sure did. Having the mash basket did too.
Seriously thinking of purchasing some enzymes for the next batch to aid in conversion though.
And maybe do an overnight mash.
The evolution of Ben! Adapt and overcome. I love it buddy, good for you.

Your starting to sound like bear grylls :p.

Big fan BTW:)
How does he live off two grubs and some eucalyptus leaves for two days! I bet the camera crew have plenty to eat though don't they!

How does he live off two grubs and some eucalyptus leaves for two days! I bet the camera crew have plenty to eat though don't they!
Well from the mouth of the great man himself you can go without food for up to a month water on the other hand a day or three.

He ate some poisonous stuff.
He was warned by the local guys not to.
He fell seriously ill and got helicoptered out.
You are not going to find anything back about this. We heard it from the guides and others involved.

By the way, we heard helicopters going all over for days, so he definitely is not alone

Well, you need people - lots of people - to film a tv show.

Anyway, back on topic ;)
I set up a batch of simple cider with starter from a bottle of belgian pale ale (MJ 47). Okay, that was yesterday. Today looked like it was fermenting. I'll take a gravity reading tomorrow

Exciting brew day brewing this
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1358164/wethop-beer-

Idea was/is to pic my hops and add them to my GF buckwheat/millet/ricemalt syrup beer.

Brew day was as per GF brewing what I call a step mashing marathon but this time I got some good extraction. I'm getting better thank God!

Started out beta Glucanase rest 44c then protine 55c then beta but took 8lt of wort off the top to save enzymes.
Then I took the whole buckwheat mash up to geletanisation temp 88c this is when the buckwheat bucked me a beauty and gummed up the works
20230219_094600.jpg

Almost all the wort stayed within the biab cloth on the recirc. I had to kill the element and let things drain in 10 - 20 min intervals then hit the heat then recirculate then repeat:eek:.

So I went for a swim with the daughter and let the whole mash cool back down for 2 hours.

I came back to 55c mash.
I added back the saved wort added 4ml of ondea pro Enzyme blend and hoped this would sort the gummed up sticky starchy mess.
It did!

Within 15 she was flowing almost like the usual barley mash of old and the wort looked like it cleared up just a tiny bit:)

5 brix 1.020 she got me that's 1.5kg buckwheat and 700g ish millet in a 25lt mash so this contributed half my fermentables and converted it seems cool!

60 min boil fuggles 25g to provide some bitterness no came the wet hop bit

I brought my Cascade bines down for a plesent pic
20230219_140355.jpg

20230219_140402.jpg

155g wet hops went in at 25min to go
20230219_141205.jpg

And another lupulous lot 150g went in the whirlpool for a couple hours at flame out
These went in my biab bag
20230219_141317.jpg

Never brewed a wet hop beer gluten free at that:p.

It was a good feeling picking my own hops while brewing a beer with grains I'd painstakingly malted dried and de shooted myself lol!

We've landed at 11brix 1.044OG yet to be transferred to the kegmenter (above my projected OG )for the overnight no chill but a rewarding Hombrew brew session this arvo folks like is hard but oh so Good!:D

Edit back from beach now

Transfered in after squeezing as much hoppy happy goodness out of the wet hops
20230219_183014.jpg

Yup thar wort smelt nice and hoppy

RwS is already hitting its stride mere hours on cool!
20230219_183057.jpg

I'll put this in tomorrow before work.

Now to clean that kettle and get another bevvy.

Last edited:

Back