Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

All the best Ben. I'm sure you'll not only start feeling better but also find a way to keep your favorite hobby going.
Looking forward to following along with your brewing progress.

Had that Endoscopy today and yup it's Confirmed Dr Hans said you've got Ceoliac Disease.

I refuse to "like" this post Ben! Like others, and yourself most of all, I was hoping for the opposite result.

I refuse to "like" this post Ben! Like others, and yourself most of all, I was hoping for the opposite result.
Yeah man it Sux it really really Sux!
But I gotta change it up now I gotta find another way to brew beer be it Gluten free.

I think a ginger beer is up next and the chicha stuff with corn is sorta intreaging it's sorta a ginger beer but brewed with malted corn and sugar ginger lemon and cinnamon?

Anyhow thanks man I don't wish it on any of you guys let's put it that way.

Reveer that malted barley you got there in stock man :D!

Best wishes as you travel on this path. I am sure many folks will have a keen interest as you come up with tasty ways to brew gf. Rice, corn, sorghum, grapes, apples, cranberries, potatoes, there has to be a perfect combo!

Thinking about making something automated like this for the malting side of things.

A food grade drum on its side with a motor to turn it every hour or so to keep the 02 up to the grain cool it down and release co2.

Motor wise he's using a 12v car windscreen wiper motor pretty nifty huh.

Also want to find a easy way for drying the grain.
I was hoping just to dry it out in the sun or I could build a kiln or something out of a 44gal drum I'm thinking something along the lines of a smoker with trays of grain on fly wire mesh with a heat source at the bottom as well as a fan or blower so I can regulate temperature and air flow.

a lot goes into it actually, get it wet the right amount, lay it out on news paper flat, to dry I used a portable roaster as well as making crystal

Could you maybe use a dehydrator?

Could you maybe use a dehydrator?
Yup sure can maybe this is the most straightforward easy option for getting started.
I was just thinking volume wise.
Them food dehydrators don't look all that big.

I'll go and check one out sometime at the store.

I'd want to atleast dry 4-5kg of grain at one time.

@Trialben I know that last batch was for the hens, but when you do it for real remember they sprout at different times.

And, good decision to stay away from her clothes dryer.

It is what it is, and you'll manage. I know you adore beer but maybe some vodka or gin is in your future. Or maybe wine. :eek:

the fun part is pulling all the starts off, you can use a course screen with gloves

Maybe a bit boring, but if I were you I would probably start with a GF extract kit like the ones from Mangrove Jack.
At least then you get to know the flavours and you'll have some beers on hand ;)
Meanwhile continuing with your malting etc obviously

Grabbed some popping corn 2kg and 1kg buckwheat for my 1st batch.
20221221_153114.jpg

I hear buckwheat got some good protine content as reflected on the packet 12gish/100g protine.
Supposedly helps with the crap head you get with GF beers.
I got some of that CRYO hop I didn't get to use maybe if the malting goes well I'll give some of that a whirl in this brew...

Let's play maltster:)

Grabbed some popping corn 2kg and 1kg buckwheat for my 1st batch.
View attachment 23533
I hear buckwheat got some good protine content as reflected on the packet 12gish/100g protine.
Supposedly helps with the crap head you get with GF beers.
I got some of that CRYO hop I didn't get to use maybe if the malting goes well I'll give some of that a whirl in this brew...

Let's play maltster:)
Nice you got a place to start.

Steep day one
Buckwheat
20221222_052956.jpg

Already a difference this one's water was a little viscous almost a slimey feel and the water drained heaps slower also more dud grains or floaters In there.

Corn
20221222_052958.jpg

I rekon this is gunna take longer to reach 40% hydration.

Going off the steeping/malting guidelines on this site
https://glutenfreehomebrewing.com/advanced_malting_tutorial.php

I don't know yet how I'm gunna dehydrate all this but I'll fine a way.

Been looking at solar dehydrators you can build for drying in the sun.
Their a lot bigger than the pissy Little food dehydrator from the shop.

But I also like that one in the glutenfree malt doco he germinates then dehydrates and kilns all in the one unit this is probably where I'll go.

3 more soak n steeps:)

Cheers Ozarks yes I did briefly scan that doc prior and had another look then.

Alot to wrap my head around:)

what its saying in a nutshell is stay away from anything made from wheat, including bread, pasta and so on, and small amounts of barely can be fine for some people

Back