Brewing with Ceoliac Disease

Ben, I know jumping in with both feet is your style. But you're still not even sure you need to.
Maybe you could find a maltster somewhat close and give them a call and plan a tour and visit.
I have visited multiple and they all seem eager to share information and help out.
In the meantime, maybe put a bandaid on the wound instead of cutting it off!
Good luck with whatever though
Cheers
Brian

Ben, I know jumping in with both feet is your style. But you're still not even sure you need to.
Maybe you could find a maltster somewhat close and give them a call and plan a tour and visit.
I have visited multiple and they all seem eager to share information and help out.
In the meantime, maybe put a bandaid on the wound instead of cutting it off!
Good luck with whatever though
Cheers
Brian
Thanks mate your right I'm overthinking it.:)

Just exploring options before I get the green or red light.

As for maltsters I don't know of any within cooee of me now that would be a fascinating tour!

Last edited:
Thanks mate your right I'm overthinking it.:)

Just exploring options before I get the green or red light.

As for maltsters I don't know of any within cooee of me now that would be a fascinating tour!

Barrett Burston have a malthouse in Brisbane - https://bbmalt.com.au/our-company/our-locations/pinkenba/. I know they do tours at their various locations, but I think you have to organise it yourself. You may be able to tag along with one organised by another group (home brew clubs seem to do tours fairly regularly).

Definitely not within cooee, but Voyager do tours if you're ever driving down to the Murray - https://voyagercraftmalt.com.au/our-facility/

Barrett Burston have a malthouse in Brisbane - https://bbmalt.com.au/our-company/our-locations/pinkenba/. I know they do tours at their various locations, but I think you have to organise it yourself. You may be able to tag along with one organised by another group (home brew clubs seem to do tours fairly regularly).

Definitely not within cooee, but Voyager do tours if you're ever driving down to the Murray - https://voyagercraftmalt.com.au/our-facility/
Cheers Mark :).

Been malting some green mulch grains looks like a mix of sorgum and beans and such
20221217_135057.jpg

Just mucking around and getting my head around the process my Chook love this stuff I've found:p.
20221217_135112.jpg

This looks like it's working I see some shoots in them grains.
This is 3rd day soak rinse cycle.

Been malting some green mulch grains looks like a mix of sorgum and beans and such View attachment 23460
Just mucking around and getting my head around the process my Chook love this stuff I've found:p.View attachment 23461
This looks like it's working I see some shoots in them grains.
This is 3rd day soak rinse cycle.
A few more days and that'd be awesome in a stir fry!

Loving these posts, and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Good luck with this!
Thanks Megary it means alot:).

Just faffing about with this ATM.

It seems its just a patience and process thing I'm cool with this.

Si with the kilning part I've read not too high or you dentature the enzymes and reduce the modification...

It looks just like my mung bean sprouts :D

Looks good Ben

Last edited:
Cassava is poisonous when raw.
So are cashew nuts and a fair bit of other food items, so don't worry too much about it but treat it with respect. (Actually, distilling can be dangerous as well if you are not aware of methanol)

I'm sure it can grow or grows in Australia.
It's always been sort of a back up crop in Africa. Esp the bitter varieties as they don't get many pests and diseases and are drought tolerant
You plant it and forget about it. Only to use in case of famine.
And sometimes a famine has been too long ago and the people who know how to prepare it have passed away. And with them the knowledge how to treat it..

Here's how she faired

20221219_155500.jpg

And in the hand
20221219_155504.jpg

So the bite test on the sorgum grains did reveal the slight malt sweetness reminiscent of barley grain when you bight into it but accompanied by a nutty flavour.

I'll not be brewing anything with these grains mind you it'll be going to my chickens.

Had that Endoscopy today and yup it's Confirmed Dr Hans said you've got Ceoliac Disease.
So now it's 10 weeks without and another Endoscopy in March to see how ive faired.

So it looks like unfortunately my days of brewing with Barley- Wheat- Rye Ect are officially Over:(:(:( oh man I sure will miss that beautiful malty taste of a delicate helles style lager looks like my AG brewing buddy I know locally is gunna get a great belated Christmas bounty of grains :).
And as for my malted beer I'll be bottling like crazy and giving it away as I know I'll give into temptation especially with that NZ pils I got on tap it's a magnet after a hot day at work:rolleyes:.

So I got 12lt of cider happily filling my brew space with a sweet over ripe apple aroma ATM.

And other than that I've got 2 Bays brewing beer to track down.

Now to get serious on the DIY malting front:)!

Shame man, was hoping it was a wrong diagnose.
But you're already making great inroads on gluten free beverages.
I got a feeling we are going to see lots of cider & wine!

Shame man, was hoping it was a wrong diagnose.
But you're already making great inroads on gluten free beverages.
I got a feeling we are going to see lots of cider & wine!
Yeah hoping to get something GF malted and get something mashing. I love beer :)

Sorry to hear Ben,
I wonder if there is any immuno therapy for this ?
I bet you'll figure out what works for you.
I'm looking forward to hear about your innovations!

Back