What's your next brew

Bit late to post about my "next" brew, as it is already bubbling away...but it is my very first (after 11+ years) pilsner!
I have my system down pretty well and hit all of relevant numbers consistently, but I am still very nervous about this one. It is a SMASH and I don't have any experience with Saazer hops...and I am worried that the local water is not the best for a pils.
....will see how it turns out. :)
I rekon two things that go great together Pilsner Malt and Sazz hops :)

Yeast well that's recommended.
What yeast did you use?

I rekon two things that go great together Pilsner Malt and Sazz hops :)

Yeast well that's recommended.
What yeast did you use?
Kept it real simple: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1289231/2022-06-pils-1-real-p-
The harvested yeast is about a good 1/2L of W-34/70 slurry from a previous brew. Was still healthy and active and fermentation took off quickly.
Probably going to prime with a bit more sugar at bottling though. I like a fairly "flat" beer most of the time, which is why only 125g are planned, but think a pils could do with a bit more CO2.

Kept it real simple: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1289231/2022-06-pils-1-real-p-
The harvested yeast is about a good 1/2L of W-34/70 slurry from a previous brew. Was still healthy and active and fermentation took off quickly.
Probably going to prime with a bit more sugar at bottling though. I like a fairly "flat" beer most of the time, which is why only 125g are planned, but think a pils could do with a bit more CO2.
Looks tasty will test your brew skills.
That'll be pretty crisp too.

I’m a few points from FG already. Low OG, Some invert, and a full pouch of Imperial Pub=A ripping fermentation. It will condition for another 8-9 days and then I’ll pull a pint.

I’m a few points from FG already. Low OG, Some invert, and a full pouch of Imperial Pub=A ripping fermentation. It will condition for another 8-9 days and then I’ll pull a pint.

Yeah cool!

I'm putting in an order this week and should be brewing mild this weekend.

I'm gunna try some chocolate rye malt as the roast in it still gunna no chill some dates too.

I used a combo of chocolate malt and pale chocolate malt. I’ve read lots of people like chocolate rye. Need to try it. @Sunfire96 has been brewing with some rye malt as well
I've been loving pale rye. I used chocolate rye in a batch and wasn't a big fan. I remember it being ashy and not a subtle roast
Screenshot_20220626-220624_Chrome.jpg

I've been loving pale rye. I used chocolate rye in a batch and wasn't a big fan. I remember it being ashy and not a subtle roast
View attachment 21265
No way true hmmm might have to double think it.
It's gladfields malt so maybe better their descriptions were smooth espresso Creaminess maybe I just needed a coffee but that had me salivating.
Limited release atm they have crystal rye too.
I'm thinking maybe 50/50 with some gladfield choc malt then they do light and dark choc malt I'm leaning towards dark choc malt I want the colour to be nice and dark not brown.

Last edited:
I'm going to brew either a Kolsch or an American Wheat this coming weekend. Not sure which yet. I want to try Summit Hops and think they might go nice in an American Wheat. I haven't had a good grapefruit tasting hop in a while. I like Chinook for this reason. Anyone use Summit? How might it compare to CHinook?

I live by those spunding valves and the "all rounder" fermenters! Got two on the Maple Stout at the moment! Yeast is chewing through the maple syrup at nearly 8 psi!
I bet the yeast love that stuff

No way true hmmm might have to double think it.
It's gladfields malt so maybe better their descriptions were smooth espresso Creaminess maybe I just needed a coffee but that had me salivating.
Limited release atm they have crystal rye too.
I'm thinking maybe 50/50 with some gladfield choc malt then they do light and dark choc malt I'm leaning towards dark choc malt I want the colour to be nice and dark not brown.
I have been using malted rye in a few beers. Be careful though. I had to dump one last year. Went way too much rye and the spicyness was beyond bitter. In small amounts it gives a somewhat spicy sweetness to your brew.

I'm going to brew either a Kolsch or an American Wheat this coming weekend. Not sure which yet. I want to try Summit Hops and think they might go nice in an American Wheat. I haven't had a good grapefruit tasting hop in a while. I like Chinook for this reason. Anyone use Summit? How might it compare to CHinook?[/QUO

Look at Strata Hops for something different.

Look at Strata Hops for something different.
No... Sorry. Does not sound like anything I'd like. Grapefruit - yes. Strawberry, cannabis and "dank" are not something I'm into. I typically don't like a lot of assertive American Hops. Chinook is an exception - as is Cascade though I don't consider Cascade "assertive".

I'm going to brew either a Kolsch or an American Wheat this coming weekend. Not sure which yet. I want to try Summit Hops and think they might go nice in an American Wheat. I haven't had a good grapefruit tasting hop in a while. I like Chinook for this reason. Anyone use Summit? How might it compare to CHinook?
Used Summit in one of my first brews, but it wasn't a great beer so I can't speak to the value of the hop :) I'm a big fan of Citra. Centennial or Amarillo have some nice citrus flavor as well

Getting ready for my base malt comparison brews. First up is pale ale malt vs Maris Otter. And then hopefully before I kick the MO batch I can also do Golden Promise. Same SMaSH recipe and process, but different base malts
Golden promise is a beautiful malt always love the Beers I brew with it.
I bought a sack of Marris otter when I first started brewing but couldn't really make comparrisons on past expierences at that stage in my brewing.

Will be great to hear what you like or dislike about them

Back