What's your next brew

Hmmm I was gunna brew Herms Wheat but I've got some S04 in the fermentor and that mild is tasting so good that I'm thinking of brewing a "beefed up mild maybe more around the 5.5% ABV mark and using some toasted oats in it and maybe some inverted honey that I've got sitting in my garage. Will up the choc rye and eclips editions and make this inky black too. I'll pin a recipie later.

Whatdyas think?

Being lazy if I so the herms wheat I gotta clean out the kegmenter so if I brew this I'll just transfer ontop of the cake and no chill in the kettle...

Sounds like an opportunity
Your on board with ;) sweet.
Yeah I'll see about the honey I do have cane sugar too.
Will think about it more.

I gotta get more beer into kegs with the least amount of faffing about.
With Matilda growing up it seems time spare is getting less and less so if i can skip a clean down on the kegmenter that's gold!

Here we go
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1294645/beefed-up-mild

Not 100% on crystal malt addition yet
Oh and that bicarbonate soda is to lift PH but 20g crazy so not adding that much.

Last edited:
Your on board with ;) sweet.
Yeah I'll see about the honey I do have cane sugar too.
Will think about it more.

I gotta get more beer into kegs with the least amount of faffing about.
With Matilda growing up it seems time spare is getting less and less so if i can skip a clean down on the kegmenter that's gold!

Here we go
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1294645/beefed-up-mild

Not 100% on crystal malt addition yet
Oh and that bicarbonate soda is to lift PH but 20g crazy so not adding that much.
That's a lot of flaked oats

Yeah let's just say I've got a surplus :).
Gotta use them up...
WLP001?
Nope a low attenuator I've herd would be prefect I believe.
I like the dry London on my mild. WLP013 is good too.
Less English character, more earthy and woody.
Try it out sometime

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1285340
Got it from Zymurgy and modified slightly. I had a recipe almost identical by just putting what I wanted to taste in a beer but apparently what I put in my recipe was this so I’ll call it what it is.

Not really a Marzen but close to what I was going to get ready for fall. I may of course do something else German. Either way a German lager for fall will be brewed in a week

Keep us posted...
I'm sure I can help finding some clone recipes on the Belgian and Dutch beer fora ;)
Chimay is a nice beer

one of my old standbys. have gotten many compliments on it. (it is pretty good :p)

chocolat au lait
Sweet Stout

5.5% / 14.8 °P

rich, big and malty. hints of chocolate, light carbonation and mild hop bite.

Recipe by

Bent Nail

All Grain

Batch Volume: 5 gal

Boil Time: 60 min

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.060

Final Gravity: 1.018

Malts (10 lb 4 oz)
6 lb (55.5%) — Briess Pale Ale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 3.5 °L

12 oz (6.9%) — Briess Caramel Malt — Grain — 120 °L

12 oz (6.9%) — Briess Chocolate — Grain — 258.9 °L

12 oz (6.9%) — Weyermann Munich I — Grain — 5.8 °L

9 oz (5.2%) — Briess Barley, Flaked — Grain — 1.8 °L

9 oz (5.2%) — Weyermann Carared — Grain — 18.3 °L

9 oz (5.2%) — Briess Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1.6 °L

5 oz (2.9%) — Briess Black Malt 2-Row — Grain — 369.7 °L

Other (9 oz)
9 oz (5.2%) — Milk Sugar (Lactose) — Sugar — 0 °L

Hops (1.75 oz)
1 oz (18 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 60 min

0.75 oz (11 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 30 min

Yeast
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 1098 British Ale Yeast 75%

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation as @Trialben - my Victory for Vienna is ready to rack to the keg and I'd hate to waste the yeast (and hate washing it) so I'm going to rack a Munich Dunkel on top the cake. I better start prepping the brewery for a session!
I’ve never washed yeast. I just make sure I have a good amount

I'm in a similar situation as @Trialben - my Victory for Vienna is ready to rack to the keg and I'd hate to waste the yeast (and hate washing it) so I'm going to rack a Munich Dunkel on top the cake. I better start prepping the brewery for a session!
That's the spirit!

I’ve never washed yeast. I just make sure I have a good amount
Do you decant the old beer (prior recipe) from the yeast before using it? Or do you just shake it up with whatever's on it? If I'm changing recipes, I'll rinse with bottled water, but that's not actually washing. True washing is NOT an easy process, and from what I've read, is only useful with large quantities in commercial applications for patented recipes to guarantee the yeast quality is exactly the same from one batch to the next.

Do you decant the old beer (prior recipe) from the yeast before using it? Or do you just shake it up with whatever's on it? If I'm changing recipes, I'll rinse with bottled water, but that's not actually washing. True washing is NOT an easy process, and from what I've read, is only useful with large quantities in commercial applications for patented recipes to guarantee the yeast quality is exactly the same from one batch to the next.
Pour off most of the wort, swirl and pitch for me. Whether I’m changing recipes or not.

Back