What are you doing with homebrew today?

I hung out with some friends on the BF Zoom meeting, then got a tap hooked up to a keg that a friend brewed for me recently. He is doing a couple more brews for me in the near future, yes, he is a good friend:D. Hoping my back continues to improve and I can do some brewing, hopefully later in the summer.
20220528_214725.jpg
20220528_214712.jpg

I zested the peels of 3 tangerines, and put that zest in a jar with a couple ounces of Tito’s vodka. That jar is in the fermentation closet until tomorrow evening, when I will add the tangerine infused vodka to the fermenter holding my American wheat beer. After an overnight melding, I’ll bottle that beer on Monday.
Meanwhile, I juiced the tangerines, a couple limes and a grapefruit. Just to make sure the vodka was good, I drank vodka and juice. It was good.

I moved 1 bottle Saison & 1 bottle Syla to the fridge. Feels like there is at least some carbonation.
I'm away tomorrow and day after. Will be tasting/testing soon after.
Fingers crossed :D

In preparation for bottling my American wheat beer, I am conducting a gravity check. Even though this wort started 5 points below projection, it has attenuated down to 1.006, which is 5 points below projection. As such, abv comes in right on target at 5.1%. Apparent attenuation is nearly 87%! The appearance, aroma and flavor are all quite acceptable. Later today, I will add tangerine infused vodka, then bottle this batch tomorrow. I hope with some carbonation, this will be a perfect summer brew.

Sampled the Viking Red Active/Sterling SMaSH today, really nice.

Just finished up brewing a batch of Shore Leave, was only off by 1 gravity point despite having a mash schedule interrupted by a beef heiffer needing help with a calf that was a little on the big side...and coming out backwards and a little twisted(everything worked out ok).

image.jpg
After dosing a few ounces of tangerine infused vodka into the fermenter last night, today I bottled my American wheat beer. Unfortunately, there is no representative sample to show off, due to equipment and operator errors. When I assembled my cleaned and sanitized bottling wand, I installed the directional spring in the wrong orientation, leading to some loss of product. Having used these tools now for 3 years, I should have the handle on that, but lesson learned. Anyway, this is the clearest beer I have ever bottled, likely a result of the Irish moss used in the boil. I think I will sample a bottle next weekend for quality control.

Edited to add: After bottling, I sanitized a clean jar and saved a full jar of slurry. The fragrance in the fermenter is just what I was trying for, so I have high hopes for how the beer turns out. I might have another go at this wheat beer to use this slurry. Also, I want to see how things go when making sure the grains are ground properly for BIAB.

Last edited:
I have my buddy coming Saturday to sort out the cabinets, and plumbing in my brewing room.
There will be a regular laundry faucet on the sink as well as a separate cold water tap, and another three way valve.
This will be for cooling water, I will divert the hot water to buckets to save for cleaning, then flip the valve and have it go to drain.
I think a plate chiller is in my future. I will be using a condenser for the boil, so the Frankenchiller will no longer be an option.
Will try to sell that on Kijiji

upload_2022-6-1_9-5-2.png

upload_2022-6-1_9-6-20.png

Moved 4 bottles each of Saison & Syla to the fridge.
I think I should bottle my cider on beer trub soon. Both the m29 and french saison.
Question, I've done apple juice on beer trub plenty time, but can you do wort on cider trub?
Of course you can, but would it work OK?
I got 2 fermenters in use now, but both for cider. Wanna do another beer this weekend.
Maybe I should free up cider m29. Throw the trub with saison cider trub and add apple juice to make triple saison cider :rolleyes:

I need another beer...

Back