What are you doing with homebrew today?

Transfered and pitched yeast for ginger beer.
21c couldn't ask for more than that.
Cleaned and put away kettle.

Now just had a perfect transfer into recieving keg
20220522_122801.jpg
bit of foam started comming out the PRV so I grabbed a cup and got this much
20220522_122822.jpg

Perfect in my books.
This is that bunyip beer I brewed for bros 40th this weekend it's tasting great I'm looking forward to seeing how this one conditions.

Last time I use this keg though that bloody gas post doesn't connect well and I loose gas yup I've changed the rubber it's out after this beer...

20220522_124930.jpg

Last edited:
I reworked my Amber Ale recipe, simplifying the grain bill to 3 grains (Pale ale malt, Dark Munich and Caramunich III), and aligning my hops additions to match that which I used in my version of MentoRed. I also decided to go with US-05 yeast this time around, given that warmer temperatures are upon us. Soon I will be heading to lhbs (Windsor) to pick up grains and yeast, and enjoy a pint of some craft beer.

What's the consensus on how long can a brew sit in primary after fermenting before it starts picking up any funk?
I'm on day 3 of dealing with the covid and fermentation was over about 4 days ago so I'm getting pretty ichy...I've had stuff fermenting in the carboy longer but that's before I had a process and had a clue of what I was doing and what tasted good. I'll most likely be ok in a few days to get to it but like I said.....itchey that I'm a week behind....lol...with a WEAK behind!

What's the consensus on how long can a brew sit in primary after fermenting before it starts picking up any funk?
I'm on day 3 of dealing with the covid and fermentation was over about 4 days ago so I'm getting pretty ichy...I've had stuff fermenting in the carboy longer but that's before I had a process and had a clue of what I was doing and what tasted good. I'll most likely be ok in a few days to get to it but like I said.....itchey that I'm a week behind....lol...with a WEAK behind!
Almost every beer I’ve made has sat in primary for about 12-14 days. Brew on a Sunday, keg 2 weekends later. There is no scientific reasoning behind what I do, it just fits my schedule. Can’t see 3 weeks being a problem either. My opinion, you have plenty of time. RDWHAHB.

Sorry @Ward Chillington to hear of your infection.

I routinely leave my beers in primary for 3 weeks, sometimes longer, with no ill effect. On occasion, I’ve gone as long as 6 weeks - clearest beer I’ve ever brewed. Never have I bottled under 3 weeks, so I think your beer will be fine. Get yourself well.

Last edited:
Last time I use this keg though that bloody gas post doesn't connect well and I loose gas yup I've changed the rubber it's out after this beer...
You can get a new post.
Weeks if not months.

Brewed batch #1 of my Rapier Wit today. Will do batch #2 as soon as I vacate the fermenter. (2-3 weeks).
As before, even though I only used half as much slurry (400 ml of 3rd generation S-33, after rinsing), I had another eruption through the air lock with nearly 10 inches of head space on this batch. Temp was 64F when it started, and has climbed to 70F in two days. That's some HAWNGRY yeast, after being locked up in a jar in the fridge for nearly a month. It was bubbling before I went to bed on Saturday. Looks like I may have to figure out a way to build a strainer or something because this crazy manic activity makes the krausen fragment and float about in the beer rather than sticking to the wall of the fermenter. The trick is to not aerate the beer, though....

Debating on whether to toss this batch of yeast when I bottle, or whether to try it again, with a lot less of it in the next batch. S-33 is proving to be a lot more active with a re-pitch than it is from the packet. Probably shoulda used some whirlfloc as well. Certainly waiting a full 3 weeks for this batch to flocculate based on the current appearance (looks like a milkshake at the moment). I'll pull the sediment bulb this Friday, and clean it out to unload most of the trub. I fill it with nothing but plain ol' tap water (after sanitizing) and get a really nice clean white yeast cake from the 'secondary' ferment.

Now might be the time to use a fresh packet of S-33 and see if I can taste any difference in the two batches, though. Hmmm, to capture, or not to capture, that is the question. It might give me a good excuse to completely fill up all the bottles I have in stock with my summer favorite, too. Tough decisions, I tell ya.

Finished mashing my amber ale with good results. Yesterday at lhbs Windsor, I made sure the clerk set the mill to the finest setting for BIAB, correcting the mistake from my previous brew. My pre boil volume is spot on, and gravity is a couple points high. That works for me. Wort looks, smells and tastes wonderful. Waiting for my kettle to boil.

Too bad my handy new digital thermometer is a bust, on its second use. On its first use, I checked it against my old broken digital, and my analog, with compatibility. Today, it reads 10F or more above the other two:(

Finished mashing my amber ale with good results. Yesterday at lhbs Windsor, I made sure the clerk set the mill to the finest setting for BIAB, correcting the mistake from my previous brew. My pre boil volume is spot on, and gravity is a couple points high. That works for me. Wort looks, smells and tastes wonderful. Waiting for my kettle to boil.

Too bad my handy new digital thermometer is a bust, on its second use. On its first use, I checked it against my old broken digital, and my analog, with compatibility. Today, it reads 10F or more above the other two:(
Well that sucks. But thanks for sharing and reminding me to check my thermometer before next use.

As before, even though I only used half as much slurry (400 ml of 3rd generation S-33, after rinsing), I had another eruption through the air lock with nearly 10 inches of head space on this batch. Temp was 64F when it started, and has climbed to 70F in two days. That's some HAWNGRY yeast, after being locked up in a jar in the fridge for nearly a month. It was bubbling before I went to bed on Saturday. Looks like I may have to figure out a way to build a strainer or something because this crazy manic activity makes the krausen fragment and float about in the beer rather than sticking to the wall of the fermenter. The trick is to not aerate the beer, though....

Debating on whether to toss this batch of yeast when I bottle, or whether to try it again, with a lot less of it in the next batch. S-33 is proving to be a lot more active with a re-pitch than it is from the packet. Probably shoulda used some whirlfloc as well. Certainly waiting a full 3 weeks for this batch to flocculate based on the current appearance (looks like a milkshake at the moment). I'll pull the sediment bulb this Friday, and clean it out to unload most of the trub. I fill it with nothing but plain ol' tap water (after sanitizing) and get a really nice clean white yeast cake from the 'secondary' ferment.

Now might be the time to use a fresh packet of S-33 and see if I can taste any difference in the two batches, though. Hmmm, to capture, or not to capture, that is the question. It might give me a good excuse to completely fill up all the bottles I have in stock with my summer favorite, too. Tough decisions, I tell ya.
What temperature are you fermenting that yeast maybe drop the ferm temp to slow down the yeast a little.

You can get a new post.
Weeks if not months.
Yeah it's a Myton Rod keg thier a bitch to clean and disassembling the posts are a nightmare with that little clip up inside the post.
I got a good deal on three of these kegs I saw a few years ago but now I'm getting over them.

Yeah it's a Myton Rod keg thier a bitch to clean and disassembling the posts are a nightmare with that little clip up inside the post.
I got a good deal on three of these kegs I saw a few years ago but now I'm getting over them.
Might make a nice flower pot.

Cleaning bottles. I would like to fill 18 bottles of Baltic Porter later today to "cellar" until winter (I don't have a room in my house at cellar temps...). My hope is that while they may get hotter than cellar temp, it will at least be dark and the temp changes won't be dramatic. And I'll give them a long condition time in the fridge on the other side. Fingers crossed

Back