I brewed today!

Which yeast were they Ward I didn't catch it pls?

I had a couple of harvested jars from the last 2 batches that were giving me the guilts. While not the recommended yeast, I think they will do the brew justice as it calls for a fruity POF so I used the Voss and the Wpl080. The older and lesser amount of Voss was off gassing in about an hour post pitch and the White Labs took off over night but I am yet to peek in on what kind of a krausen is there....stay tuned! I'm counting on the Voss to finish faster so I'll break up the bottling and get the longer lead on the 080 since the beer is supposed to be consumed young, I'm just postponing the 2nd batches birthday...at least that's my rationalization....let's see if it works that way!

I had a couple of harvested jars from the last 2 batches that were giving me the guilts. While not the recommended yeast, I think they will do the brew justice as it calls for a fruity POF so I used the Voss and the Wpl080. The older and lesser amount of Voss was off gassing in about an hour post pitch and the White Labs took off over night but I am yet to peek in on what kind of a krausen is there....stay tuned! I'm counting on the Voss to finish faster so I'll break up the bottling and get the longer lead on the 080 since the beer is supposed to be consumed young, I'm just postponing the 2nd batches birthday...at least that's my rationalization....let's see if it works that way!

I remember once a batch was made with two yeasts. Each batch was different with particular notes And I decided to bottle 3 versions, one per batch and a third with a cut 40 -60% of the previous batches. This cut was the most valued of the three according to my friends. Do you plan to make any mixture of them?

Hmmm, no I hadn't thought about that...but now I have....interesting idea there VC...timing is gonna bee key.

I brewed 2 beers today and I am very tired lol. This imperial wheat is helping :) the IPL is no chilling in the keg overnight, and I've got a real wort starter with wyeast 2206 Bavarian lager chugging along to dump into it tomorrow. The Baltic Porter is chilled and on top of a hefty yeast cake of 34/70 on its 3rd generation. I would like it to be colder than it is but the kegerator is slowly doing its job. I put the spunding valve on at 5 psi until it gets below 60F. Now for some kettle shots of the wort!
The IPL before flameout. The only bittering hop addition was a 20 minute whirlpool of Triumph for approx. 30 IBUs. Will dry hop with Citra and Triumph soon
20220511_111453.jpg

And the Baltic Porter right before transferring to the fermenter. Expected OG was 1.075 and I managed to get 1.072. I don't think I'll be making another big beer anytime soon lol
20220511_153849.jpg

I brewed 2 beers today and I am very tired lol. This imperial wheat is helping :) the IPL is no chilling in the keg overnight, and I've got a real wort starter with wyeast 2206 Bavarian lager chugging along to dump into it tomorrow. The Baltic Porter is chilled and on top of a hefty yeast cake of 34/70 on its 3rd generation. I would like it to be colder than it is but the kegerator is slowly doing its job. I put the spunding valve on at 5 psi until it gets below 60F. Now for some kettle shots of the wort!
The IPL before flameout. The only bittering hop addition was a 20 minute whirlpool of Triumph for approx. 30 IBUs. Will dry hop with Citra and Triumph soon
View attachment 20620

And the Baltic Porter right before transferring to the fermenter. Expected OG was 1.075 and I managed to get 1.072. I don't think I'll be making another big beer anytime soon lol
View attachment 20621
I applaud your efforts.

Bunyip is in kegmentor chilling with 30g each of Vic Secret (never used that smelt passionfruit and intense) and simcoe.
20220514_161426.jpg

Don't know about my numbers no hydrometers lol.
But this is 6th gen on the Bunyip so I know I'll be 2 or more points within target.

Last edited:
Looks like someone 's been brewing....hope that last shot with the "something fresh" is at the start of clean up....3 of them and that job is menana!

Unfortunately that ¨´something fresh was while solving a bomb jam. Forget to put the hop in the bag.:rolleyes:

Finished brewing that ginger beer.
Bagged up the 50g ginger boil additions to keep it out the RWS.
20220521_115922.jpg

So pulled this chunk of ginger out the front garden and 17 lemon Myrtle leaves not pictured that went In was a fresh kafir lime leaf.
220g the ginger weighed
20220521_121855.jpg

Threw them back in that ginger boil bag to whirlpool with pump on for half hour.
This will steep overnight
20220521_123645.jpg

30 min boils go QUICK!

Oh yeah flying blind again on gravity I'm not concerned I know it'll fall withing a couple of points of predicted target.
Man I forgot to add my brew salts to the mash today lucky I remembered when the boil hit.

Finished brewing that ginger beer.
Bagged up the 50g ginger boil additions to keep it out the RWS.View attachment 20774
So pulled this chunk of ginger out the front garden and 17 lemon Myrtle leaves not pictured that went In was a fresh kafir lime leaf.
220g the ginger weighed View attachment 20775
Threw them back in that ginger boil bag to whirlpool with pump on for half hour.
This will steep overnight View attachment 20776
30 min boils go QUICK!

Oh yeah flying blind again on gravity I'm not concerned I know it'll fall withing a couple of points of predicted target.
Man I forgot to add my brew salts to the mash today lucky I remembered when the boil hit.

LOL, i got the mash ok but forgot to add salt and acid to the sparge

IMG_20220522_112334.jpg

I brewed today! Made a 10 gallon batch but did something a little different... Made my Father's Day Porter but without the dark specialty grains (Choclate, Brown, Carafa II)... I steeped those and added them to the second fermenter as I racked the beer! So I should have a Pale Ale of sorts and a Porter! I'll try and remember to post the results in a few weeks!

Best Bitter, pushing ESB/Strong Bitter territory. First time using Golden Promise (how is that possible?!) and got a bit more than I was expecting. That color is 99% GP, 1% Carafa II.

View attachment 20806
Yup it's got great extraction potential that grain and oh such a beautiful rounded malt profile I believe you'll be delighted In the flavour.

View attachment 20812
I brewed today! Made a 10 gallon batch but did something a little different... Made my Father's Day Porter but without the dark specialty grains (Choclate, Brown, Carafa II)... I steeped those and added them to the second fermenter as I racked the beer! So I should have a Pale Ale of sorts and a Porter! I'll try and remember to post the results in a few weeks!
My Tolbooth 80 shilling is 97% GP. Super nice malt

My Tolbooth 80 shilling is 97% GP. Super nice malt
GP is my - hands down - favorite malt for English beers. Last spring bought Irish Ale malt and while it isn't bad , it isn't GP. This beer used the last 17 lb of the Irish Ale Malt... I just picked up my GP this weekend - looking forward to the next English beer I make!

I just used GP in a west coast style IPA yesterday. I'll use it in any beer except maybe a wheat beer.

Back