I brewed today!

image.jpg
Brewed up a nice hoppy amber ale today.

Your making a bit of a habit of this there brewing thing hey Herm :D.
I find it quite enjoyable, from creating a recipe, to collecting the ingredients (and drinking professionally made craft beer at lhbs), then the process of brewing, and finally getting to drink the results of my own creation. A great hobby!

I find it quite enjoyable, from creating a recipe, to collecting the ingredients (and drinking professionally made craft beer at lhbs), then the process of brewing, and finally getting to drink the results of my own creation. A great hobby!
Here Here! :)

Indeed Herm!

Are there other callings that combine cooking, biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, agriculture that have been around for a few millennials.... AND get to call it Art? I don't think so!

By nature, I am a patient person. Another aspect that I love - Homebrewing, at least the way I practice it, forces me to patiently wait for results from the process. Patience is required during the mash. Patience and attention are required during the boil. Fermentation and bottle conditioning are all about patience. I really enjoy finding success at the end of all of the waiting. So far, I have been rewarded with always drinkable beer. Never have I dumped a batch.

I brewed with my friend yesterday.....was a long day on a new system with what seemed like an endless number of "challenges". However we managed to get about 190 liters of a SMASH IPA in the fermentor at the end of the day. Would I do it again.......hell yeah!
View attachment 20840 View attachment 20841 View attachment 20842 View attachment 20843 View attachment 20844 View attachment 20845 View attachment 20846
Tidy looking brewspace there Robert so your friend runs a craft brewery.
One of them conical fermentors would be nice:)

Tidy looking brewspace there Robert so your friend runs a craft brewery.
One of them conical fermentors would be nice:)
Yeah, he just started a small craft beer brewery / bar a few months ago......He just got delivery of this system and yesterday was the first beer ......I have to tell you.....what could go wrong.....pretty much went wrong..... but with perseverance we managed to get the beer in the fermentor.

Yeah, he just started a small craft beer brewery / bar a few months ago......He just got delivery of this system and yesterday was the first beer ......I have to tell you.....what could go wrong.....pretty much went wrong..... but with perseverance we managed to get the beer in the fermentor.
Awesome sounds like a trying but satisfying day in the end.
Hope it turns out great for you both

I brewed with my friend yesterday.....was a long day on a new system with what seemed like an endless number of "challenges"

I had a brewer's assistant tell me that the only difference between him and the head brewer was the head brewer knew what to do when $hit went wrong!! Glad ya had a good day! Sounds like things there are easing up or were you guys making lemonade outta the lemons the city was delt?

I had a brewer's assistant tell me that the only difference between him and the head brewer was the head brewer knew what to do when $hit went wrong!! Glad ya had a good day! Sounds like things there are easing up or were you guys making lemonade outta the lemons the city was delt?
That is so true......nothing like experience to guide you through all the challenges. Things here are ok......all restaurants and bars are "take away" service only so......it's a good time to catch up on a few other things such as brewing beer. So far.....not much has changed for me....but hey I am not not locked down like a few others I know. Being trapped inside would make the days difficult.

American Barleywine is in the fermenter. Long day and rather taxing, but there is something very reassuring and satisfying about hitting numbers precisely on a very big beer. I’ll bottle this in a few weeks and hopefully enjoy one around Christmas. :)

EF1AC3A9-8D95-48CF-8171-1CA04B4CC4A0.jpeg

American Barleywine is in the fermenter. Long day and rather taxing, but there is something very reassuring and satisfying about hitting numbers precisely on a very big beer. I’ll bottle this in a few weeks and hopefully enjoy one around Christmas. :)

View attachment 20882

You really have a lot of patience!
(Or a lot of other beers in stock)

View attachment 20882
That is large, 1.096+/- good on you for hitting your target. I hope it turns out well for you, and I appreciate your patience.

Thanks!
The grain bill pushes my 8-gal kettle to its limits and draining the bag pushes me to my limits! :)
I mash for 90 and boil for 90, and of course a Barleywine needs to bottled. So this beer requires a lot more time and effort than everything else I brew.

But last years BW has been very enjoyable (I still have about 10 left) and it would be nice to build up a vintage series in the beer cellar. Once a year though.

Back