What are you doing with homebrew today?

Can I suggest the first thing to set up is the sound system.... it makes the rest go a lot smoother
Two words, "Jobsite Radio". I use a Milwaukee, runs on AC or the same batteries as the cordless drill I use to power the mill. Mine is the old style with the aux in port...the new ones will link right to your device with Bluetooth. The great thing is they are portable, you can take them with you if you have a seperate area to hose things off.

Checked on the Chocolate Oatmeal stout again today. Temp's up another degree from yesterday, but still below 70 (67 today). Started out at 65, dropped one degree overnight, now it's on the rise. Nice looking krausen visible through the fermenter wall, something I haven't been able to see before. Can't really tell if there's significant accumulation in the catch ball yet. This stuff's got a pretty dark trub, so it may be hard to see or tell if the ball is full of trub or still beer/wort. Any suggestions when I should pull the catch ball to collect the yeast and clean it out? I'm figuring about a week, after things slow down just a bit. Bubbling pretty good today, about 3 seconds between what looks more like burps than bubbles. By next brew, I will have added a sampling spigot. Then I can pull a sample when activity slows to see where it actually is. Easy enough to watch temperature, though.

Does anyone know of a PC based application for the Tilt or other bluetooth/wifi devices available? I've looked around and everything I see wants to use my phone. I don't want it on my phone, but would love to track progress with a PC. That's probably the biggest roadblock to me buying better gadgetry.

Meant to ask but forgot. Will a spectrometer help with sampling sizes, and what all will I learn from that? I'm sure I still need to use an old-school hydrometer to check final gravity, but it wouldn't hurt to be able to do some process sampling through the ferment.
I use a Plaato airlock device, a few brews in and I'm liking it a lot.

Brewing "Shady Bohemian" right now. Upped the Cluster from .5 to .7 ounce(higher moisture content than the previous package by the looks of it),

Think I may have inadvertently jinxed the Packers last night...it was only after the 2nd blocked kick that it occurred to me that the Shore Leave I was drinking was a Steam Beer(style from San Fransisco). Won't make the mistake of breaking that out for a Packer game again.

Think I may have inadvertently jinxed the Packers last night...it was only after the 2nd blocked kick that it occurred to me that the Shore Leave I was drinking was a Steam Beer(style from San Fransisco). Won't make the mistake of breaking that out for a Packer game again.

Don't blame yourself, the only jynx the Packer's had going what their Special Teams coach! :mad:

Last Sunday bottled an ESB. Using my fermentation chamber as a bottle conditioning chamber. Looking forward to sampling this one at the next BF meeting on Saturday.

PXL_20220117_205200948~2.jpg

Transferred the Black Currant wine to the glass carboy for secondary ferment last night. I was pretty impressed with what a tablespoon of yeast nutrient did on this one. The concentrate we used for the musk produced all but nothing for trub, and the yeast was very highly flocculent, so this has a gorgeous color and clarity already. The slurry in the fermenter probably wasn't even 1/4" deep, but it didn't worry me since the SG was already at 1008. The apricot batch we did started at 1074, as did this one. 2 weeks, and the SG was at 1021 on the apricot, but this one's already down to 1008. FG on the Apricot was 1012 after 4 weeks in secondary at about 63-64 degrees F. This is already 4 points lower. It's very yummy, but a little dry already. The missus gonna make me be heavy handed with the sugar for final conditioning, I think. We put quite a bit in the apricot. Opened (and emptied) a bottle of that last night, and the longer it ages, the dryer it gets (told her it would). Seeing a little yeast in the bottom of the bottles, too. Kinda figured the hungry little buggers would wake up again after bottling.

Also checked the COS and found about an inch of clean white yeast in the collector bulb again. Nice looking yeast, not the usual brown trub. This beer should be really nice and a lot cleaner than I"m used to. I'm thinking I'll dump the slurry I pulled first and keep this for my starter. Good Nottingham, so gotta come up with another Irish/Scottish/English brew to make with it. I think I"ll get a refractometer on the way this week, and then I can pull the sediment bulb again and use what beer is in it for a sample. Should be close to FG by now, but it's a pretty big beer if I leave it to dry some. Just gotta be careful to avoid infection when I leave it in the fermenter so long.

View attachment 19045 I just bottled my Azacca pale ale. It looks, smells and tastes good. This time I increased the hops, especially dry hops, where Citra and Mosaic play a supporting role. I look forward to pouring these.
Do you have the recipe for your Azaca Pale posted public? I'd like to compare it to my LA Mud Puddle and see how similar it is. LA meaning Lower Alabama, of course, not Los Angeles. It's a spin-off / knock-off /imitation of Kona Big Wave. Don't want anyone thinking my recipe is anything like comparable to Big Wave. I'm a bit too far east for that. Big Wave is good stuff. It uses Citra and Galaxy. My LHBS is out of Galaxy at the moment, and he suggested Mosaic for a substitute. Gonna give it a spin. Any scoop on how much difference there is in Galaxy and Mosaic?

Do you have the recipe for your Azaca Pale posted public? I'd like to compare it to my LA Mud Puddle and see how similar it is. LA meaning Lower Alabama, of course, not Los Angeles. It's a spin-off / knock-off /imitation of Kona Big Wave. Don't want anyone thinking my recipe is anything like comparable to Big Wave. I'm a bit too far east for that. Big Wave is good stuff. It uses Citra and Galaxy. My LHBS is out of Galaxy at the moment, and he suggested Mosaic for a substitute. Gonna give it a spin. Any scoop on how much difference there is in Galaxy and Mosaic?
Yes, here it is https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1231330/hapa-ii I don’t remember how I came up with the grain bill - I think it was an attempt to use a new to me grain, Victory malt.
I know nothing about Galaxy hops, though I might have drunk some beers that use Galaxy.

I can certainly appreciate you sticking to your guns.

It is a good beer though, evil empire or not.

Brewing that pilsner ended up swapping some ginger for that RO water.
You know gotta Pay It Forward.
20220129_105832.jpg

No stainless mash colum just the biab bag full volume resting on the element I think it won't scortch will wait and see.
20220129_111442.jpg

The inkbird is keeping set point smakc on.
Yup my temp probe is out a few degrees...

Transfering my not so blond ale.
I love this trub cone on this batch pretty much tells the fermentation story.:)
20220129_183851.jpg

What i see bottom to top. Brew trub that's settled first then your standard hop/trub mix then check out that cool Squiggly yeast line. Then maybe first flock of Dry hop then yeast floculation once cold crash began then finally the remaining hop trub material on top oh I also finned with geletin about 24hrs after cold crash maybe this is that finnings too.
Cheers

Back