What are you doing with homebrew today?

Had just enough grains left to make an American Wheat. And picked out some surplus hops that seemed to make sense. A relaxing brew day and a nice, purposeful turning over of inventory.
And a glass of Porter as a reward. This beer is really growing on me. It’s not there there, but it is really close.

F9F6C765-B863-4152-B12A-57784267C8FB.jpeg

Busy brew day today.

Took over the missus' kitchen for the morning because we're having typical Alabama Winter (50 F and threatening to rain [again]), Too bad Puxatawny Phil doesn't live in Alabama.

Washed bottles and bottled the oatmeal stout. First batch from the FF7.9G fermenter. Amazing clarity, no usual cloudiness. Yeast cake in collector was very white considering the dark beer. Collected the yeast and stored it for something next. It was just too purty to throw away. I'll take suggestions for repitching Nottingham, bearing in mind my boundaries for bitterness (35 IBU is about my ceiling). Was thinking either a porter or an English brown.

Cleaned out the new fermenter and made another batch of Rapier Wit. Got the Rapier Wit into the FF7.9G. About to pitch some Saf-33 in that. Hoping I get as good a result on the clarity again, but a wit beer is supposed to be a little cloudy, RE: Blue Moon. The last batch I did was crystal clear, even after chilling. Dunno how the heck I managed to do that.

Got a bit of clean-up left to do, so better get at it.

It went in the snow with the air temperature of 15F, wort temperature 170F, the snow is kind of an insulator so its taking longer than I thought to chill so 1 hour later its 90F

Wish I could post a video. I have a very happy fermenter tonight. Boogiein’ along about 3 bubbles per second through the airlock. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a batch get this excited, especially with dry yeast. I’m really starting to like my Christmas present. My only reservation is that it’s very awkward to carry and the stand doesn’t follow (it isn’t attached) so I have to get the missus to bring the stand while I curl the handle I made for it. I have a sling for the glass carboy, which is a lot better than nothing, but I don’t think I’m tall enough to lift the conical into the stand with a sling, especially with the collection ball attached. So I made a rigid handle that bolts on where the wall mount studs go. Still, that bugger is heavy, without the added effort of 14 steps to climb. No plumbing downstairs, so not much choice about bringing it up for brewing and bottling.

Wish I could post a video. I have a very happy fermenter tonight. Boogiein’ along about 3 bubbles per second through the airlock. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a batch get this excited, especially with dry yeast. I’m really starting to like my Christmas present. My only reservation is that it’s very awkward to carry and the stand doesn’t follow (it isn’t attached) so I have to get the missus to bring the stand while I curl the handle I made for it. I have a sling for the glass carboy, which is a lot better than nothing, but I don’t think I’m tall enough to lift the conical into the stand with a sling, especially with the collection ball attached. So I made a rigid handle that bolts on where the wall mount studs go. Still, that bugger is heavy, without the added effort of 14 steps to climb. No plumbing downstairs, so not much choice about bringing it up for brewing and bottling.
Brutal. The crazy shit we do to make our own beer. Be careful, man.
Glad that I only have to heft a 3 gallon plastic fermenter out of the closet 8 steps from the counter from which it will be dispensed. The sacrifices we make.

No steps for me, and heaviest lift so far has been 12 kg or so :)
I'm considering what to brew next as I'm about ready to bottle my wheat beer and want to re-use the trub.
Also got to adjust the mill gab a bit again. Wasn't really happy with the crush last time (had to re-adjust after cleaning rollers). Or leave it as is and accept less efficiency. I have to say, even double milling was a breeze, compared to the tighter setting I had before

It went in the snow with the air temperature of 15F, wort temperature 170F, the snow is kind of an insulator so its taking longer than I thought to chill so 1 hour later its 90F
My Mom grew up in Winnepegosis in the 30's, similar latitude to where @Hawkbox is.
One of her jobs in the winter was to pack snow against the outside of the house, it actually served as an insulator.

My Mom grew up in Winnepegosis in the 30's, similar latitude to where @Hawkbox is.
One of her jobs in the winter was to pack snow against the outside of the house, it actually served as an insulator.
Pretty sure the Eskimos have been on to this for a while. o_O

Back