What are you doing with homebrew today?

Just pitched yeast on an extract pale with 100% Azacca. Also have 3 quarts of primitive cider going in the back
View attachment 19277
I had to bail on your stream before the boil ended, thanks for doing that though!
Have you thought of doing a multi episode series on a batch to show the packaging, and then the tasting of a particular brew?

I had to bail on your stream before the boil ended, thanks for doing that though!
Have you thought of doing a multi episode series on a batch to show the packaging, and then the tasting of a particular brew?
Yep!

Woke up to a half attenuated batch of beer. S04 is a magical thing :)
20220205_082109.jpg

I bottled my weevilly wheat with lime peel and coriander.
I knew it was only a small batch but I figured it was more than the 2 litre I got.
I poured apple juice on the trub and when I went to put the fermenter in the cooler, I noticed that the spigot was leaking.
And I saw a lot of beer in the cooler :(
Brought the fermenter back, gave a quick rinse to a 18 ltr water bottle and threw the contents in it. Spilled quite a bit.
Then fabricated some form of airlock.
It's too big for the cooler, so is standing under the kitchen table, dressed in a T-shirt.
And while all this happened, an enormous thunderstorm started and I had to keep re-assuring my oldest Jack Russell that it was OK.
I was going to bottle an other small batch, but today is not my day, so that is postponed...

Just finished up my Blue Moon clone. I went ahead and added one pound of rice (just for the heck of it) but the rest of the grains were already measured out and mixed together so the rice just went in as extra. Gravity looks like it will be a bit stronger than my last batch at 1.063. I also added a small bottle ( 1 OZ.) of orange extract. The recipe called for 3 ounces of orange peels I only had about 2 ounces off three oranges. No telling what it will turn out as.

Just finished up my Blue Moon clone. I went ahead and added one pound of rice (just for the heck of it) but the rest of the grains were already measured out and mixed together so the rice just went in as extra. Gravity looks like it will be a bit stronger than my last batch at 1.063. I also added a small bottle ( 1 OZ.) of orange extract. The recipe called for 3 ounces of orange peels I only had about 2 ounces off three oranges. No telling what it will turn out as.
For future note, if you want to make the orange really pop on that, add enough lemon essence which is about 1/3 amount of orange peel. I do a Blue Moon clone all the time (Rapier Wit) and tweak the citrus in it If I'm in no hurry to build up my stock. That's my go-to beer. I also found out that fresh orange essence is a lot better than dessicated orange peel.

I was going to do a batch with satsuma essence, but all of 'em ruined before I could use 'em. What was the purpose for the rice, btw? Flocculent? Can you post a link to the rice conversation? Sounds like a good read.

Pulled the slurry ball on my Rapier WIt today, which I guess classifies as starting of secondary fermentation. That critter bubbled like crazy for 3 days. Today, it's silent, and the bell in the air-lock has settled to the bottom (no pressure in fermenter). Captured the slurry and may pick up another Rapier Wit recipe this week and drop it in as soon as I get this one out. I'm thinking another conical is in my future. Sure made bottling a breeze last time.

Tried one of my oatmeal stouts. Still not quite fizzy enough. Getting there, though.

For future note, if you want to make the orange really pop on that, add enough lemon essence which is about 1/3 amount of orange peel. I do a Blue Moon clone all the time (Rapier Wit) and tweak the citrus in it If I'm in no hurry to build up my stock. That's my go-to beer. I also found out that fresh orange essence is a lot better than dessicated orange peel.

I was going to do a batch with satsuma essence, but all of 'em ruined before I could use 'em. What was the purpose for the rice, btw? Flocculent? Can you post a link to the rice conversation? Sounds like a good read.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/brewing-with-rice.15364/

I find that adding fresh orange zest (in hop spider after minor scrubbing and dipped in vodka) in the keg works great.

I graded the peel off the orange fairly fine that I did put in the brew, no spider. Got into the pump and kind of plugged things up a bit.

Thanks heaps! Duly noted. Looks like for American Pales, a good number is 4:1 mix of malt to rice. Might have to try this one day. Now, I'm assuming that 1 lb dry weight means 1 lb BEFORE cooking. Does one dump boil water and everything into the mash? I can see the benefit of an extended mash, as well, especially where recirculation is possible. I think we might be zeroing in on a new flavor for me to try out.

I graded the peel off the orange fairly fine that I did put in the brew, no spider. Got into the pump and kind of plugged things up a bit.
I'm assuming vodka so that it would add no other flavors to the peel? I'm not real impressed with the desiccated peel I've been getting, so may switch to fresh grating. The only problem with that is making sure I time that with a need for 4 or 5 skint oranges in something the missus is doing. I love 'em, but they give me horrible acid reflux, so eating them by myself is out of the question. I'm gonna go out on a limb, though, and suggest some have used orange flavoring of some brand and quality as well. There seems to be one of those for nearly every flavoring additive.

Dunno why, but we bought a bottle of apricot flavoring when we did the apricot wine. Didn't need it, period. Now I gotta figure out what to do with it, as well as some yeast nutrient that also was apparently not needed. However, I put a teaspoon of that in the black currant batch we have going, and it definitely fermented a lot faster with a much lower SG at transfer to secondary. Sumpin tells me that's gonna be some DRY wine which the missus will have me dumping sugar in to fix it. Neither of us likes a dry wine.

Anyone use apricot for flavoring in a beer before?

Thanks heaps! Duly noted. Looks like for American Pales, a good number is 4:1 mix of malt to rice. Might have to try this one day. Now, I'm assuming that 1 lb dry weight means 1 lb BEFORE cooking. Does one dump boil water and everything into the mash? I can see the benefit of an extended mash, as well, especially where recirculation is possible. I think we might be zeroing in on a new flavor for me to try out.

Yup, I added 1 pound precooked weight. This was about three pounds cooked weight (I was curious too). As for adding boil water, there is none the rice absorbes it all. No telling what I will end up with but it is bubbling along nicely.

Yup, I added 1 pound precooked weight. This was about three pounds cooked weight (I was curious too). As for adding boil water, there is none the rice absorbes it all. No telling what I will end up with but it is bubbling along nicely.
Here's hoping we can soon ship sample to friends/acquaintances on here. That should have some pretty wicked alcohol content, too. That's a lotta malt and starch, and not a very big batch.

Now I'm gonna have to try one, just for grins and giggles.

Moving the fermenting keg to the garage tonight to start lagering/crashing. It will sit there for a bit before I transfer to a serving keg.

Moving the fermenting keg to the garage tonight to start lagering/crashing. It will sit there for a bit before I transfer to a serving keg.
That’s funny. Where I live in sunny socal, our condo unit faces north and east, with neighbors on walls to south and west. Winter is cold inside (why I have used WLP090 in the closet) while the south facing garage is the place to seek warmth. Fortunately, our home stays relatively cool in the summer, such that we very rarely ever run the AC. I do bottle conditioning in the garage, usually giving me carbed beer in 1+ week.

It is weird to have windows open in February, but that is the case here. In the middle of winter, we are looking at nearly 2 full months without rain. Yet the rainfall recorded is already near double what fell last year. Kind of like in a desert.

Last edited:

Back