Recipes for Azacca hops

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. Is anybody else receiving a pound of azacca later this month? I know the AHA posted an IPA recipe using them, but was curious what everyone else was planning to do with theirs. So far I have two recipes made: one is Wayner's Pale ale with azacca and Citra and the other is an American wheat with just azacca and brewed with kveik. Cheers!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1198254/wayner-s-pale-ale-azacca-citra-

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1195767/american-wveik-ii

Now I'm also thinking about a gose recipe from BYO I've wanted to try for a long time. Instead of a small amount of bittering hops at the top of the boil, putting in a 1/2 oz of azacca in for a 20 minute whirlpool to really goose the tropical flavors out. Hopefully will be nice and fruity without any fruit additions. Then fermented with Kolsch yeast for smoothness. This recipe calls for acidulated malt to create the sourness instead of kettle souring or mixed fermentation. I supposed Philly sour could also be effective here, without the sour malt.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1202524/azacca-gose

I really like your idea with the American Wheat (though I'm a not a fan of crystal in my AW). That should really showcase the hops nicely. I'd be afraid the other two recipes, while likely to produce great beers, won't really let you know what Azacca brings to the table.

It'll be great regardless.

I really like your idea with the American Wheat (though I'm a not a fan of crystal in my AW). That should really showcase the hops nicely. I'd be afraid the other two recipes, while likely to produce great beers, won't really let you know what Azacca brings to the table.

It'll be great regardless.
Do you use any specialty grains in your wheats typically? What's your go to yeast for an American wheat? (I'm not a fan of weizen yeasts...sacrilegious I know). I've heard good things about Omega Hothead and thought some kveik twang would do well in that recipe. Maybe I could sub the crystal for Spelt and make more of a farmhouse saison type beer.

I'm okay with good beers as a result :D the AHA recipe seems like it would be best for learning what the hop brings to the table

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/orpheus-brewing-azacca-ipa/

Do you use any specialty grains in your wheats typically? What's your go to yeast for an American wheat? (I'm not a fan of weizen yeasts...sacrilegious I know). I've heard good things about Omega Hothead and thought some kveik twang would do well in that recipe. Maybe I could sub the crystal for Spelt and make more of a farmhouse saison type beer.

I'm okay with good beers as a result :D the AHA recipe seems like it would be best for learning what the hop brings to the table

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/orpheus-brewing-azacca-ipa/
My AW is 50/50 Pils and a Pale Wheat. Nothing wrong with 2-Row of course.
I love BRY-97, one of my favorite yeasts, for this style. I've never used any Kveik yeasts, but in an AW, I wouldn't want twang. Clean and crushable is all I'm looking for.

My AW is 50/50 Pils and a Pale Wheat. Nothing wrong with 2-Row of course.
I love BRY-97, one of my favorite yeasts, for this style. I've never used any Kveik yeasts, but in an AW, I wouldn't want twang. Clean and crushable is all I'm looking for.
Nice I will give BRY97 a try. I've heard it's a vigorous fermenter as far as krausen height goes, have you had any issues with fermentation?

Nice I will give BRY97 a try. I've heard it's a vigorous fermenter as far as krausen height goes, have you had any issues with fermentation?
I don’t have a ton of headspace in my Speidel so i will certainly set up a blowoff for this type of beer (super fermentable, no adjuncts). If this were an American Stout (for which I also use Bry-97) I would just use an airlock.
Some people say it’s a bit slow to take off so don’t get concerned if it does putz around a bit, but I’ve never experienced that on my small batches.

I have used azacca hops many times, it is great to use anywhere that you would use Citra in my opinion

If I may suggest, use it as a single hop in one of those IPA's you make. One of the ones that I always comment on the beautiful coloring of... maybe bitter with Magnum mind you, but it brings great flavor and aroma in my opinion

Good suggestion @Craigerrr as I too am looking for best ways to use the pound of Azacca hops that should be coming my way soon.

If I may suggest, use it as a single hop in one of those IPA's you make. One of the ones that I always comment on the beautiful coloring of... maybe bitter with Magnum mind you, but it brings great flavor and aroma in my opinion
The AHA supplied an IPA recipe (the link should be in an earlier post), so I didn't feel the need to create an IPA recipe :) these are just my ideas of what else to make with the rest of the hops

I'm on the verge of bottling a three gallon batch of apa that I fermented with BRY-97 that had a little over 2 inches of krausen.

I've brewed with Azacca 4 times. All were NEIPAs with Citra and sometimes another hop. I used Azacca in the 1-2 oz/gallon range along with equal and then eventually lesser amounts of Citra and other hops. Both 8oz batches of Azacca I ordered over the last 2 years came across as mild and it took some trial and error to ensure they weren't overshadowed in the final beer. I don't have a lot of experience with these juicier hop strains in wheat beers so I can't be of much help there but by comparison the hop was mild when combined with Citra, but flavorful enough in an IPA to want to order again and adjust the recipe. You can expect something that's modern and juicy, but richer and less citrusy than Citra.

Last edited:
I’m wondering about a SMASH, using Vienna or Munich, or maybe something like Maris Otter? Obviously, this would be the simplest way to explore the properties of this new to me hop. A rethinking of Wayner’s Pale Ale is another option. Then again, I could rejigger one of my IPA recipes. I will come up with something, either of my own creation, or a play on someone else’s recipe.

Got mine today; thinking about using them in my next brew: oatmeal stout.
Then a pale ale or IPA, maybe an American wheat beer.

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_133305.jpg
    IMG_20211016_133305.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 65

Back