Primitive cider (again)

Next batch cider gets some fresh tamarind ;)

Sorry,missed that one.
No, couldn't taste it. It's more of the smell that makes it such an awesome leaf.
Just crush a leaf, put it in the glass and pour your cider on top!!!
(Worked awesome with gin and tonic ;) ).
True that yup I'll try some this way. Cheers

I bottled today. Just 3 litres.
This batch is much clearer than the previous.
I blame it on adding juice to (active) trub. Took of like crazy. High krausen was finished in 24 hours or so!
Left for 5 days, although last 2 days hardly showed any activity.

Anyway, another 4 litres on the trub and a couple of tamarinds. Out of the pod and most stringy bits removed. Soaked in boiling water for 10-15 minutes or so, and everything added to the fermenter (incl pips).
It looks dirty! Like weak milky coffee!
But the yeast got activated almost instantly.
Couple of days and I can bottle again

Latest batch of cider 14lt fermented with Framgarden Kviek 31.5c .5c.swing 4 days spunded (let pressure build up) day 4- gravity I'm saying it's 1.002
20210225_192615.jpg

Wife rekons it smells Winey humph must be alright eh:p Not farty then lol.
This seems dryer gunna keg this weekend on 10% unfermented juice and with some lactic acid and Geletin to get some clearage..

Last edited:
My cider fermented from 1.058 to 1.002 and is dry, very dry. The plan: I've got 1/2 oz of Mosaic in there now for 2 to 3 days, then keg with about 8 oz apple juice concentrate to carb. Does this make sense?

Today I started our first batch of cider, using unfiltered juice and sparkling wine yeast. For inspiration, my wife and I enjoyed a couple ciders, both of which were quite dry. We’ll see where we end up in a few weeks.

Kegged mine just now added 10% juice to keg along with geletin and some SMB .

@Frankenbrewer I'd like to try this as well to add that extra dimension looking forward to how it turns out.

My next concern is do I add the concentrate with or with out polysorbate and refrigerate or leave at room temp in the keg. Am I over thinking this? In any event I'm hoping for a finished product by this weekend.

You are overthinking it!
If you see my set up you would laugh :)

Anyway,
Bottled my tamarind concoction today. Darker than my "standard" cider, but no longer ugly. Just the remaining foam looks dirty.
Started adding my tinned apple juice, till I suddenly decided to check the label.
It got potassium sorbate as preservative unlike the vitamin C of my other batches.
I poured 2 litres, will see tomorrow if it ferments OK.
Added complication: our temperature dropped. Hope kveik still likes it!

Now having the first bottle of the batch that went into cooling yesterday.
It's too early. It always tastes better after 2 days. But I have done it with all batches, and I'll just continu.
One more badhabit won't make a difference :p

You are overthinking it!
If you see my set up you would laugh :)

Anyway,
Bottled my tamarind concoction today. Darker than my "standard" cider, but no longer ugly. Just the remaining foam looks dirty.
Started adding my tinned apple juice, till I suddenly decided to check the label.
It got potassium sorbate as preservative unlike the vitamin C of my other batches.
I poured 2 litres, will see tomorrow if it ferments OK.
Added complication: our temperature dropped. Hope kveik still likes it!

Now having the first bottle of the batch that went into cooling yesterday.
It's too early. It always tastes better after 2 days. But I have done it with all batches, and I'll just continu.
One more badhabit won't make a difference :p
Will be interesting if it ferments out ok.

Yeah, not looking very active, but not dead either.
I think it got a chance as there was probably close to a litre slurry left and only 2 litre juice.
We'll have to wait and see

I'm gonna try again. Bought more juice to throw on top of the yeast cake when I keg the first batch tonight. We'll see how it comes out.

I'm gonna try again. Bought more juice to throw on top of the yeast cake when I keg the first batch tonight. We'll see how it comes out.
How much you fermenting there?
I'm keeping the yeast from my last 14lt batch I estimate a good 300ml of good quality clean yeast there.

Back