Primitive cider (again)

Bottled the cider after 3 weeks in primary. It's very opaque, not sure even cold conditioning will clear it, but c'est la vie. The final gravity was 1.000 and it's about 7% ABV. I'm going to add xylitol or stevia while drinking to find out how much sweetener to add next time. I've also thought about combining the cider with sweet juice or puree before drinking :)
I added unfermented apple juice to mine made it less dry but not more applely ( if that's a word) give it time and it should clear:).

That's long! @Sunfire96 !
Mine is not clear clear, but I can see yeast on the bottom and that's after 5 dsys!
I'll be bottling today. Plus throwing more juice on the trub.
Gotta try build up some stock ;)

Here's the last of my framgarden batch (the better one).
It's been a humid sweaty day and I gotta say this is quite refreshing!
I'm 80% there on pulling the trigger on a bigger batch of this stuff.
Pretty good for just store bought apple juice .
20210219_171147.jpg

I added 10% apple juice to this last bit and not sure if I can tell any difference it's a goer but!

Last edited:
Oh and 34/70 still smells of Fart :D!
But it's exceptionally clear!
20210219_173236.jpg

Ok so maybe this is my fault and I stressed the yeast out a bit. I used slurry In both batches so yeast wernt expecting cider a nutrient deficient must I think you call it.
But it might be worth a go maybe I under pitched maybe the yeast were stressed and tired.
Cheers

I'm also still surprised how ordinary long life apple juice gets to be such a nice cider!

Got 3.5 litres in bottles, from the original 4 litres apple juice.
Threw another 4 litre juice on the remainder and it looks like that will take off real quick
New batch + bottles:
IMG_20210219_144703.jpg

Are y'all taking gravity readings at packaging? I'm curious what FG's you're getting, just for comparison's sake :)

I don't have access to my hydrometerand refractometer, so I just gamble a bit.
This batch was bottled quite early.
I'll see what happens.
They are pet bottles and I drink them quite fast, so not too scared of gushers and bombers

I have a gallon of pasteurized pure unfiltered apple juice, with a mind to make a fizzy, dry hard cider. I have never made cider before. On hand, I have some dry Voss Kveik, and slurries from my own amber ale and IPA, both brewed with US-05. Today at the new lhbs, I got some Fermaid K (they were out of “yeast nutrient). My wife wants me to use a recipe. Obviously, cider is pretty simple, but would anyone care to put forth their recipe, based on what I have to work with?
TIA

I have a gallon of pasteurized pure unfiltered apple juice, with a mind to make a fizzy, dry hard cider. I have never made cider before. On hand, I have some dry Voss Kveik, and slurries from my own amber ale and IPA, both brewed with US-05. Today at the new lhbs, I got some Fermaid K (they were out of “yeast nutrient). My wife wants me to use a recipe. Obviously, cider is pretty simple, but would anyone care to put forth their recipe, based on what I have to work with?
TIA
I don't really have a recipe as I don't / can't measure at the moment
But for 4 ltr apple juice, I used 3/8 of a teaspoon Lallemand Voss Kveik, so lets say 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon and it started fermenting quickly.
My temperatures are roughly between 25 and oC
I havent used any yeast nutrient or anything else

Thanks for the feedback. I will be carbing the cider in 500 ml swing top brown bottles, so I’m guessing the bottling process is the same as for beer.

I just did a batch last night for the first time. I bought 2 gallons of Mott's pure pasteurized apple juice put it in my Brewdemon, a cinnamon stick, 8 oz of table sugar and pitched about 1/2 pack of Fermentis T-58. I did not use any yeast nutrient. Is this going to be a problem?
OG = 1.058 with the sugar. Hoping it will get down to 1.014

I just did a batch last night for the first time. I bought 2 gallons of Mott's pure pasteurized apple juice put it in my Brewdemon, a cinnamon stick, 8 oz of table sugar and pitched about 1/2 pack of Fermentis T-58. I did not use any yeast nutrient. Is this going to be a problem?
OG = 1.058 with the sugar. Hoping it will get down to 1.014
Na being fresh out the packet no problems.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be carbing the cider in 500 ml swing top brown bottles, so I’m guessing the bottling process is the same as for beer.
Yup i think you carb cider a little higer so it's effervescent:confused:lol.
But there is apple wine too:rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Since it is still winter here in So Cal, and I don’t really have temperature control, I picked up some Lalvin EC-1118 dry yeast for our cider project. Each packet contains 5 grams. For one gallon of juice, would it be wasteful (or otherwise detrimental to the cider) to use a whole packet, or would that one packet be just right? Thanks in advance.

Since it is still winter here in So Cal, and I don’t really have temperature control, I picked up some Lalvin EC-1118 dry yeast for our cider project. Each packet contains 5 grams. For one gallon of juice, would it be wasteful (or otherwise detrimental to the cider) to use a whole packet, or would that one packet be just right? Thanks in advance.
That one packet is meant for six gallons of must (grape juice). It would be a serious overpitch but I doubt it would be detrimental.

FYI: EC-1118 is a champagne yeast. It's going to dry out your cider! I'd use something like D-45, also a wine yeast, but one that tends to make a very aromatic wine.

@Zambezi Special did you get anything out of the Kafir Lime leaf ?
I've got one in the garden...
Sorry,missed that one.
No, couldn't taste it. It's more of the smell that makes it such an awesome leaf.
Just crush a leaf, put it in the glass and pour your cider on top!!!
(Worked awesome with gin and tonic ;) ).

Last edited:

Back