Community recipe?

I been kinda busy, so I wasn't watching this thread. So I guess I'm it. I had to think for a while on which beer I wanted to share. I brew a lot of lagers, but they can be a PITA sometimes, so I picked one I brew for my house beer. It's easy, fast and delicious.

The beer I brew regularly is a American Pale Ale. It's a west coast style, very hoppy, not too bitter and fairly dry. I started working on this beer back @ 2015 to compete in local competitions. The first versions were a little heavy, too bitter and lack any outstanding hop aroma/flavor. About that time I read Stan Hieronymus' book "For the Love of Hops". In it he suggested whirlpool addition to increase hop flavor and have a longer lasting aroma. Fast forward a year later, I set the hop utilization to 3% for whirlpool in the calculator and I had moved ALL the hops to the whirlpool. The beers were just as bitter, but now I could add a massive amount of hops to the beer without the excessive bitterness. I started winning regularly with this beer. It's been the AHA finals a couple of times and was served at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver under the Pro-Am in 2017 and 2018 (didn't win, but it was cool).

I use Munich malt to bring up the color and malt flavor without getting it sweet. I use S04 yeast when I brew for myself and in a competition I use WLP007. WLP007 seems to bring the hops out more and clears faster. After dry hopping I taste it so see if bitterness is right. If it's a little too sharp, I add 1/4 tsp of phosphoric or lactic acid and taste again. If still to high I add another 1/4 tsp, but no more. The pH of the finished beer increases with dry hopping, so the acid additions help bring the pH down. High pH increases bitterness. That's why I avoid Chico strains (US05, 1056, WLP001) because they have a higher finish pH than the English strains. The pH I shoot for is 4.3-4.4.

So enough rambling, below are the recipes, One is my standard 7.5 gallon, one is a 5 gallon version and one is an extract version. The volume is slightly more than the fermenter, but with this amount of hops there is a lot of wort that gets left behind with the the excessive cold break and hop residue. The hops are not fixed in stone, any fruity or citrus hops work well. Galaxy, Citra, Azacca, Mosaic, Cascade, etc. I picked a blend of Mosaic and Citra because they work so well together. The extract versions is slightly darker and I added a little sugar to keep it light.

5 gallon version:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1101261/wayner-s-pale-ale-5-gallon

Extract version:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1101267/wayne-s-pale-ale-5-gallon-extract

7.5 gallon version (original)
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/253526/wayner-s-pale-ale

Thanks everyone for letting me share this, it's a great privilege!

Brew on!
Permission error on the 5 gallon

I will get this one into the que. Haven't actually looked at the recipe but you have ticked all of the boxes for me with your description!

Do we want a separate thread to discuss the Q1 recipe?

Do we want a separate thread to discuss the Q1 recipe?
It's up to you Sunfire probably a good Idea.

That's looking tasty @HighVoltageMan! Very approachable I'm looking forward to brewing this for sure. Havnt used Marris otter in a long while. I'm imagining just standard pale malt ain't gunna compare in this recipie?

Hi Guys,
Wow what a beast of a recipe. I have scaled it down for my kit and tweaked the values to get the stats are near as dammit to High Voltage's 5 Gallon listing. I also got the mash pH down a bit to around the 5.5 - was it intended to be much higher? On scaling it crept up to around 5.8!!
Anyway - it uses about 6 times the amount of hops I would ever use - a whopping 340g!!! admittedly it is whirlpool (not something I have done yet though I have added the gubbins to my boiler) so we will see how that turns out. This will prove to be quite expensive - £25 ($34) for the hops alone and a total of £32 ($44) which works out at £0.92 a pint, more than twice what my brews usually come out at. Maybe that's why mine are so crap and this one has won many awards!! mmmm a lesson here perhaps?

If anyone wants to use my UK scaled version it is here:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1101399/wayner-s-pale-ale

Agree that's more hops than I've used in a brew:).
Interesting load up on the Whirlpool I'll follow your lead.

Cool will start gathering ingredients.

Just tossing this out there, do we want a simple list of the community recipes on the top of the page? I'm thinking simply Recipe, Brewer, Style, link to thread for that quarter. Maybe pin it to the top. Thinking just a simple list with replies done through the quarterly threads. Just an index to make it easier to keep track and navigate the recipes.

It is two weeks tomorrow since I brewed Shady Bohemian. First week I kept it around 12C, it has been at about 15/16C now for about a week. Pitched 2 packs of Fermentis W 34/70. What should my next rest temp be? Should I warm it up to 20C for a period of time, or is it time to cold crash?

It is two weeks tomorrow since I brewed Shady Bohemian. First week I kept it around 12C, it has been at about 15/16C now for about a week. Pitched 2 packs of Fermentis W 34/70. What should my next rest temp be? Should I warm it up to 20C for a period of time, or is it time to cold crash?

I hope so because that is exactly what I did! Fermented at 68F/16C and then raised to 68F/20C for 4 days. Currently sitting at 34F/1C.

Sounds about right, I just rack it and lager in the kegs without crashing. I use top draw pickups and what yeast that is transferred seems to drop out well ahead of the pickup. Generally don't have anything but clear beer until the last pint or two.

I got a pleasant little touch of diacetyl in my Shady Bohemian - acceptable in the style. Gives it this nice warm toffee/popcorn flavor to go along with all the maltiness. Anyone else?

None for me but I did my typical. 5-7 days at low 50’s and a week at mid 60s

Sounds about right, I just rack it and lager in the kegs without crashing. I use top draw pickups and what yeast that is transferred seems to drop out well ahead of the pickup. Generally don't have anything but clear beer until the last pint or two.
I still have a couple weeks of dry January, so no rush here for me. Going to cold crash for a week, transfer to keg, carbonate, and let it be for at least another week after that

Just tossing this out there, do we want a simple list of the community recipes on the top of the page? I'm thinking simply Recipe, Brewer, Style, link to thread for that quarter. Maybe pin it to the top. Thinking just a simple list with replies done through the quarterly threads. Just an index to make it easier to keep track and navigate the recipes.
The master list would be here? I like that idea. Then if people want more details other than the recipe, they can go to that quarter's thread for more info (like all the different versions created). How do we ask the all powerful beings about that? @Pricelessbrewing would it be possible to have a list created/maintained at the top of the page of this thread? The year/Quarter, Brewer name, and link to original recipe? (Am I missing any crucial info @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews?

Back