Community recipe?

@Trialben @Nosybear @Yooper

We can definitely use some kind of random user chooser, there's a ton of tools like that available online.

What I was thinking, is to keep the discussion here, but move the rules (stickied/locked), signup, and selection to a separate thread (possibly under the announcements?). Then anyone interested can go and sign up in that thread and we can keep a running tally of interested users in the opening post on the thread.

We can definitely use some kind of random user chooser, there's a ton of tools like that available online.

What I was thinking, is to keep the discussion here, but move the rules (stickied/locked), signup, and selection to a separate thread (possibly under the announcements?). Then anyone interested can go and sign up in that thread and we can keep a running tally of interested users in the opening post on the thread.
That sounds like the best idea. Announcements should be the place to do so.

Please make sure I'm out, having selected Nautical Star a while back. And I'm still making that damned Kolsch! :):):)

After my German friend asked me about it on the day I was getting supplies for it, I pretty much have to.
Pity I was looking forward to that Kentucky common ....:rolleyes:
As Ned Kelly once said "such is life".

Last edited:
Matilda can't read yet, can she? ;-)

Sounds like a good plan, and whomever's name is drawn picks a recipe (one we can all see), and everyone* takes a stab at brewing it; deadline for tasting is end of March 2021, but more ideally the last Saturday of March (which is March 27) so we can chat about it at the monthly zoom happy hour.

The goal is not just to get a bunch of people to brew beer. We do that already. What this accomplishes, in part, is a shared sense of community, practice scaling recipes to your system, learning about styles you might have never thought to brew (or seeing a different way to brew what you brew all the time) and learning more about this hobby we share.

*Participation is not mandatory! You don't have to brew it if you don't feel like it. There are no Brewing Police!
you know we did a test grab yesterday with the little lass and who's name was stuck in her paw but yours but was just a test to see if she had the goods so to speak:D.

Yeah exactly you don't want to brew the recipe don't brew it.
I see this as just one more cool aspect of this already thriving brewing community forum here. Where new and old brewers alike of different experience can showcase their "OWN" fave hombrew recipie have others brew it and have a respectable conservation about the tastings of the beer in a friendly environment.
It's a win win all round.;)

Seconded (well, technically, thirded...)

who's name was stuck in her paw but yours
Ah, well, then there goes my chance. ;-(. Lightning never strikes twice, eh?
Actually that is awfully funny, I've never met her but I like the little lady already! Maybe one day I'll make the big trip down under, always wanted to see the Southern hemisphere. At least a bit of it.

Awesome stuff Priceless I knew you'd come through with the goods as always you da Man!

I had a quick squiz on Dr Google

https://miniwebtool.com/random-name-picker/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw32SVypGP4YgLHgn_p9ZN_X

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2RlWBIC-S1-pSobMKNQ3bR

I have to manually edit the names into these pitty there wasn't some click n submit name type tool built in...

I'll still get Tilda to grab one I think:)

Sounds like a plan.

Draw Results Q1.
Well you wouldn't believe who got drawn first out the tin that had me all supprised like this!
20210109_175555.jpg

NOSEYBEAR! but you wanted out right?

So in went little Matildas hand and For a Late Entry just remembering him yesterday And I hope your cool with it.
The Brewer of the Quarter is (drumroll)...
20210109_175529.jpg

@HighVoltageMan! Wooohooo!
You've got three days to confirm you want to put your hand up if not it'll be back into the formular tin for Tildy.:)

So HighVoltageman embracing the passion that is Hombrewing and Sharing ones well crafted brew with your fellow brewing piers what Recipie would you like to share?

Going on the theme so far it's your favourite beer you like to brew one your happy to have on regular rotation or one you might brew for that special occasion. The beer you like to share with other like minded brewers.

I for one am keen to see what you put forward such a well acclaimed brewer.
CHEERS to you man;).

I hope everyone is happy with this draw fully legit plucked by the hands of the innocent.
Bring on Q1 Brewersfriend community recipie!

I showed my wife the pictures and explained what Matilda was doing, her response was: "You are involving a baby in brewing beer :eek:? Is that legal?" :p

And Matilda is absolutely beautiful!
That thought did cross my mind.

And yes she don't get her looks from her old man nor her temperament lol:D.

I been kinda busy, so I wasn't watching this thread. So I guess I'm it. I had to think for a while on which beer I wanted to share. I brew a lot of lagers, but they can be a PITA sometimes, so I picked one I brew for my house beer. It's easy, fast and delicious.

The beer I brew regularly is a American Pale Ale. It's a west coast style, very hoppy, not too bitter and fairly dry. I started working on this beer back @ 2015 to compete in local competitions. The first versions were a little heavy, too bitter and lack any outstanding hop aroma/flavor. About that time I read Stan Hieronymus' book "For the Love of Hops". In it he suggested whirlpool addition to increase hop flavor and have a longer lasting aroma. Fast forward a year later, I set the hop utilization to 3% for whirlpool in the calculator and I had moved ALL the hops to the whirlpool. The beers were just as bitter, but now I could add a massive amount of hops to the beer without the excessive bitterness. I started winning regularly with this beer. It's been the AHA finals a couple of times and was served at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver under the Pro-Am in 2017 and 2018 (didn't win, but it was cool).

I use Munich malt to bring up the color and malt flavor without getting it sweet. I use S04 yeast when I brew for myself and in a competition I use WLP007. WLP007 seems to bring the hops out more and clears faster. After dry hopping I taste it so see if bitterness is right. If it's a little too sharp, I add 1/4 tsp of phosphoric or lactic acid and taste again. If still to high I add another 1/4 tsp, but no more. The pH of the finished beer increases with dry hopping, so the acid additions help bring the pH down. High pH increases bitterness. That's why I avoid Chico strains (US05, 1056, WLP001) because they have a higher finish pH than the English strains. The pH I shoot for is 4.3-4.4.

So enough rambling, below are the recipes, One is my standard 7.5 gallon, one is a 5 gallon version and one is an extract version. The volume is slightly more than the fermenter, but with this amount of hops there is a lot of wort that gets left behind with the the excessive cold break and hop residue. The hops are not fixed in stone, any fruity or citrus hops work well. Galaxy, Citra, Azacca, Mosaic, Cascade, etc. I picked a blend of Mosaic and Citra because they work so well together. The extract versions is slightly darker and I added a little sugar to keep it light.

5 gallon version:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1101261/wayner-s-pale-ale-5-gallon

Extract version:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1101267/wayne-s-pale-ale-5-gallon-extract

7.5 gallon version (original)
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/253526/wayner-s-pale-ale

Thanks everyone for letting me share this, it's a great privilege!

Brew on!

Back