Community recipe?

Kolsch brewers, I just switched my honey kolsch recipe to public
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/515560
This is based on a Northern Brewer recipe, but I have worked honey malt in. After a few tries I have set that at 4 ounces. The original had only honey so honey malt is not necessary if you don't want yet another grain in inventory. A lighter color of honey keeps the color more true to what they make in Koln.
I used acid malt for ph adjustment but other acid would work too. I can't remember why I added the salts that I did as no target profile is selected. If your water makes good yellow beers you might not need any.

I could do a Kolsch, I'd happily crib off whoever has the "official" recipe since I think my version kind of sucks.

If we want to go ahead with Kolsch for Q1, fine, but then I'm out for a year.
I think we should draw a brewer from the hat more random more fun and because I'm half way through putting it together.
I'll get a name drawn by your time Saturday well Matilda will ;);).

So any homebrewer with eyes on this thread if you havnt been noted in above post https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/community-recipe.13940/page-16#post-126674
please let me know and I'll add you to that list. That's what I'm drawing off...

I think we should draw a brewer from the hat more random more fun and because I'm half way through putting it together.
I'll get a name drawn by your time Saturday well Matilda will ;);).

So any homebrewer with eyes on this thread if you havnt been noted in above post https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/community-recipe.13940/page-16#post-126674
please let me know and I'll add you to that list. That's what I'm drawing off...
I hope we get to see footage of lil Tilly pulling a name! :D

This post has been deleted.

God, I love paradoxes!

So, I'm confused....again. Sounds like the general consensus is Nosy's Kolsch will be the Q1 recipe and Ben & Matilda will be selecting for the Q2 recipe? And what is the Selection Date and the Brew By Date?

L
So, I'm confused....again. Sounds like the general consensus is Nosy's Kolsch will be the Q1 recipe and Ben & Matilda will be selecting for the Q2 recipe? And what is the Selection Date and the Brew By Date?
I'll draw one of your names from a hat this weekend whoever it is is the brewer for Q1 beginning 1/1/2021 ;).
Brew it when you can. Next quarter rolls through 1st March.
Durin the quarter @Nosybear will host monthly zoom sesh discussion and tastings will unfold probably towards end of each quarter.:)

L

I'll draw one of your names from a hat this weekend whoever it is is the brewer for Q1 beginning 1/1/2021 ;).
Brew it when you can. Next quarter rolls through 1st March.
Durin the quarter @Nosybear will host monthly zoom sesh discussion and tastings will unfold probably towards end of each quarter.:)
Ben, I think you put my name in the hat. Can I sit out from the setting the recipe duties?

Feel free to keep me in there, I'll probably end up doing a porter/stout variant, or maybe a belgian. I haven't brewed a bdsa/quad in a while.

Ah sorry think I missed a post somewhere, if we're sticking to kolsch I'll sit this one out.

Feel free to keep me in there, I'll probably end up doing a porter/stout variant, or maybe a belgian. I haven't brewed a bdsa/quad in a while.

Ah sorry think I missed a post somewhere, if we're sticking to kolsch I'll sit this one out.
Hey priceless is there any way to set up some sorta brewersfriend quarterly forum user pool that randomly generates a "selected Username" / quarter?

I'm imagining things here and have no IT saviness but theoretically us forum users who would like to participate in the Quarterly brewersfriend recipie can click some sort of button to have their name added into the pool.
Sorta like the like button on a thread topic where those users who read the post can click on the botton to opt them into the Quarterly brew pool?

I'm currently writing names down on A4 bits of paper which I don't mind.
But I'm not even sure if some of the names ive mentioned want to participate.
So was thinking that way when one goes on site here and checks the forum they can of their own accord wander into the "Quarterly Brewersfriend Recipie thread" brows previous brewers of the quarter recipies and so forth and opt in to have their favourite beer recipie brewed and reviewed here :rolleyes:.

Alrighty all Mr Squiggle here has been a sqraulling away.
Names are written down (don't worry I can read it lol)!
Please let me know if I've forgotten someone.
If you see your name written down here and don't want in let me know.
20210108_155728.jpg

I'm gunna get cutting some names out and add them to a hat.
When little Matilda is up and feeling plucky I'll pop her little drewl ridden paw into the jar, hat, fomular tin probably and flick a pic in this thread tomorrow sometime revealing the brewer for Q1 ;).

In the tin we go did a test draw yep this will work nicely
20210108_162138.jpg

Last edited:
Alrighty all Mr Squiggle here has been a sqraulling away.
Names are written down (don't worry I can read it lol)!
Please let me know if I've forgotten someone.
If you see your name written down here and don't want in let me know.
View attachment 13586

I'm gunna get cutting some names out and add them to a hat.
When little Matilda is up and feeling plucky I'll pop her little drewl ridden paw into the jar, hat, fomular tin probably and flick a pic in this thread tomorrow sometime revealing the brewer for Q1 ;).

In the tin we go did a test draw yep this will work nicely
View attachment 13587
Thanks for doing this :) I hope for all our sakes you don't pull my name lol :D

Please make sure I'm out, having selected Nautical Star a while back. And I'm still making that damned Kolsch! :):):)

After my German friend asked me about it on the day I was getting supplies for it, I pretty much have to.

Matilda can't read yet, can she? ;-)

Sounds like a good plan, and whomever's name is drawn picks a recipe (one we can all see), and everyone* takes a stab at brewing it; deadline for tasting is end of March 2021, but more ideally the last Saturday of March (which is March 27) so we can chat about it at the monthly zoom happy hour.

The goal is not just to get a bunch of people to brew beer. We do that already. What this accomplishes, in part, is a shared sense of community, practice scaling recipes to your system, learning about styles you might have never thought to brew (or seeing a different way to brew what you brew all the time) and learning more about this hobby we share.

*Participation is not mandatory! You don't have to brew it if you don't feel like it. There are no Brewing Police!

Back