Wiring for 2 chugger pumps

Texcali75

Premium Member
Reaction score
7555F044-11B9-4D20-A020-E7C0BF66A13B.jpeg
3348827C-D43E-4D00-B713-2F8F3E3F9824.jpeg
Sorry but a quick search didn’t land me a previous thread about this subject though I’m sure there is one buried somewhere.

Anywho, the pics should describe what I’m trying to do.

3 white neutral wires are not in the diagram as they will be connected together with a wire nut and stuffed away. How does it look?

You don't have your ground run through to the other pump in the diagram. I'd get a combo switch/outlet for each side of the box and leave the male ends intact on the pump cords.

JA's recommendation for the pump's male ends going to a switched outlet is a good idea - easier if one dies or clogs etc. to be able to safely work on it/replace it. And he's right about the ground - you need to splice it or run a jumper like you show for the hot leg.

What are these pumps rated for amperage wise? Are you sure your switches, wiring and final outlet can handle what they may both draw at their FLA (Full-Load-Amperage)? - I can't tell from the pics and don't know much about chugger pumps... I assume they are both 1/2 horse and thus each under 5 amps?

Ok, leaving male ends intact sounds good. Pretty much limited to only this if I do cut them. As far as the jumper ground, I’ve heard conflicting opinions...‍♂️ But either way, I could. Now if I leave the male ends intact, how to wire the double switch/outlet? Would it be one double unit or 2 single switch/outlet?

pumps are around 1.4amps/each

Honestly if you're going to keep the male ends intact (which I'd recommend) they make surge protectors that have all switched outlets on them.
Might be a little more than what you're looking for but here's an example: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tripp-Li...2C9s-SKMXCaRdfWX4IvNiuSooHIYkw1waAn3bEALw_wcB
Should handle the load and it'll save you some work. Might be a good option if you don't have a great deal of comfort or experience with wiring.
If you are going to go with your original plan definitely run that ground jumper.

Ok, leaving male ends intact sounds good. Pretty much limited to only this if I do cut them. As far as the jumper ground, I’ve heard conflicting opinions...‍♂️ But either way, I could. Now if I leave the male ends intact, how to wire the double switch/outlet? Would it be one double unit or 2 single switch/outlet?

The best way to do the ground is to make a pigtail - two "jumpers" tied off to the incoming ground with a wire nut. You will need to do this with both the neutrals and the hots as well. See the image below for the switched outlet wiring diagram.

* Note - if the pigtail didn't make sense you should be able to google instructions for how to make a pigtail.

Wiring Combo Device where Built-in Switch Controls the Receptacle in it
In this wiring connection, the builtin switch controls the receptacle outlet in the combo device enclosure. To do this wiring, simply remove the break away fin tab between two hot terminals (hot side). Now, take a jumper wire and connect between the switch load terminal and lower hot terminal on the line side (As shown in fig below). Finally, connect the neutral and ground wire as shown in the fig.

This way, the builtin switch control the ON/OFF operations of the receptacle in the combo device. Note that if there is no break away fin tab between two line terminals, this connection is not possible to do then.

https://www.electricaltechnology.org/2020/06/wire-combo-switch-outlet.html

Remember that the breakaway tab needs to be taken out!

Switch/outlet:
https://www.google.com/search?q=swi...K8B&biw=1400&bih=757#spd=13265169224064282729

If you leave it as you have it drawn, one pump is grounded and the other simply isn't. I can't imagine what sort of opinion would say gound one but not the other. They both need to be grounded. Period.

Get two of these, and do it in one box. Plug the pumps in. If you wire them in hard, removing them for any reason would be a PITA. If you aren't familiar with simple wiring however, you should probably get a pro to do it

Sorry, no.
I mean no offence at all, but if you need help with wiring that is this simple, you really shouldn't attempt it on your own.

It's easy to follow a diagram. Just want to know I have it right. I can do the single, just wondering if you simply pigtail it to the second?

@SabreSteve - surge protector is probably looking like the easiest way!

I drew up a diagram if you were to use the bottom pictures of what @Craigerrr sent.

@Texcali75 DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO YOU!

REMEMBER: (for the outlet)
1. Do NOT break out the neutral side tab between the Neutral (silver) screws.
- if for some reason you accidentally DO break it - make a pigtail and provide each outlet a neutral.

2. YOU MUST break out the tab between the two hot (brass) screws.

3. Use GFCI Outlet

Here is a link on how to make pigtails: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Electrical-Pigtails/
20200730_054120.jpg

I'd go with what @Craigerrr posted. GFCI is more practical in this instance than surge protection. You could easily wire one junction box with outlets and switches hard wired in with a male end whip that can be plugged in for power. Pumps can be plugged or unplugged making them more portable. If your main power source (wall outlet) is already equipped with gfci protection, skip it on your made up box.

Last edited:
If your main power source (wall outlet) is already equipped with gfci protection, skip it on your made up box
Exactly! Everything downstream of the tech would be protected - including the switches. However, if you ever use one that isn't a tech then nothing is... Your choice.

I agree @Craigerrr solution is probably the most efficient. I just offered the surge protector as a solution for someone that (no offense) didn't seem super confident with wiring to help avoid a potentially dangerous situation. That surge protector is designed for indoor use (specifically for like a computer lab or something) so yes you would need to be careful around moisture. There are certainly other switched options that include GFCI protection and do not require any re-wiring it's just a matter of tracking them down and the cost. But yeah GFCI protection is a very good idea if you can't guarantee that you can keep the circuit dry.

Yeah, plus one Craigrrr ..... simply put, they are independent and pretty F up proof.

It should be noted that the question is not one for brewers but for electricians. :D :D :D
For the sake of safety (not to mention potential liability), it's probably best for the OP to get some help locally.

FWIW I just got a Lecky to wire in a 15Amp 240v outlet to my patio (where I brew) he wired in a fuse should I F things up;).

I'm hard core DIY but remember with electricity sometimes you don't get a second chance...

TOUCH WOOD says i:rolleyes:

FWIW I just got a Lecky to wire in a 15Amp 240v outlet to my patio (where I brew) he wired in a fuse should I F things up;).

I'm hard core DIY but remember with electricity sometimes you don't get a second chance...

TOUCH WOOD says i:rolleyes:
Lecky = Electrician in the Aussie dialect:p

Back