Wiring for 2 chugger pumps

It should be noted that the question is not one for brewers but for electricians. :D :D :D
For the sake of safety (not to mention potential liability), it's probably best for the OP to get some help locally.

Well that sounds like no fun at all!

I appreciate all the feedback. I am all about the DIY but not going to just start cutting into wires. I get the working idea in my head, look for some opinions on here, watch some YouTube and then bounce it off a couple of local guys who help walk me through it.

So now still deciding between a dual switch combo or separate outlet/switch setup. But I’ve been too busy to start anything yet. Have the pump wiring and keggles to build (HERMS and BK) a whole pile of ball valves and fittings waiting for me

It should be noted that the question is not one for brewers but for electricians. :D :D :D
For the sake of safety (not to mention potential liability), it's probably best for the OP to get some help locally.
At this point I know a lot more about wiring than brewing but you can take that for what it is.:confused:

At this point I know a lot more about wiring than brewing but you can take that for what it is.:confused:
My point is that when we all get into internet-advice mode we sometimes go way beyond our pay grades and may be helping somebody get in over their heads.The "conflicting opinions" that the OP found pertaining to to only grounding one pump is a perfect example. o_O

That's pretty much why I suggested the OP might find a solution that doesn't involve any cutting, splicing or otherwise rewiring. We can give advice all day but we aren't the ones potentially getting hurt. Whatever you do @Texcali75 be safe! Good luck.

Reactions: J A
I appreciate all the feedback. I am all about the DIY but not going to just start cutting into wires. I get the working idea in my head, look for some opinions on here, watch some YouTube and then bounce it off a couple of local guys who help walk me through it.

So now still deciding between a dual switch combo or separate outlet/switch setup. But I’ve been too busy to start anything yet. Have the pump wiring and keggles to build (HERMS and BK) a whole pile of ball valves and fittings waiting for me

The separate outlet/switch setup is still an option and also not too difficult. Just follow the wiring diagram I posted from the web and the pigtail advice. I could try and draw up a diagram for that too if I find time.

I do electrical on the outside so it seems simple enough for me but I understand the concerns of others and possibly your hesitation as well.

Almost wish I lived close enough to just pop over and help you out with it!

That's pretty much why I suggested the OP might find a solution that doesn't involve any cutting, splicing or otherwise rewiring. We can give advice all day but we aren't the ones potentially getting hurt. Whatever you do @Texcali75 be safe! Good luck.
Yeah...just using a couple of surge protector/power strips is totally viable in this situation.

Yeah...just using a couple of surge protector/power strips is totally viable in this situation.
There you go, two power bars, they have switches on them, easy peasy!

True, but I really do enjoy the experience learned by wiring it up. Makes me feel like I actually did something.
I think just about every one of us here fall into the same category but it would be irresponsible to not give warning. You know the risks involved, but I'm sure you'll do fine with the direction you've been given. Being in the trades, Lord knows I've been lit up like a Christmas tree a few times.

Damn, thanks man. That’s totally doable. I’m a visual learner and that’s awesome. Appreciate the effort making that.
You are very welcome! Glad I can help :) Making videos has been a new fun little thing for me. I made a few on how to use features in brewers friend - posted them in the Help wanted thread of the videos category.

Pretty cool stuff!

One thing I didn't mention in the video is that you should really plug that extension cord "whip" into a gfci protected outlet considering you are working with liquid...

Good luck buddy and keep us posted of the progress!

One thing I didn't mention in the video is that you should really plug that extension cord "whip" into a gfci protected outlet considering you are working with liquid...
Definitely!!! That should be the first order of business! Get your power source for whatever current is going to your brew area on a GFI protected circuit!!

Good point J A...We don't want to get anyone in BF messed up with any overly litigious types not willing to be responsible for their own poor judgement! What you or I might know how to do, could really get F'ed by someone with more ambition then smarts! Two nuggets of wisdom try to live by....

If there is a question, then there is no question....

and

A good handy man (diy'er in this case) knows when to call a professional!

Last edited:
Good point J A...We don't want to get anyone in BF messed up with any overly litigious types not willing to be responsible for their own poor judgement! What you or I might know how to do, could really get F'ed by someone with more ambition then smarts! Two nuggets of wisdom try to live by....

If there is a question, then there is no question....

and

A good handy man (diy'er in this case) knows when to call a professional!
And a smart man knows what he does not know.

We take brewing as a hobby for granted but between the hazard of third-degree burns from boiling wort, life-threatening lacerations from breaking carboys and the potential for electrocution from wet-environment electrical devices, we have to be extremely vigilant. :eek:

And that doesn't even take into consideration the extreme danger of a spouse's wrath when she learns about the new fermenter that cost many hundreds of dollars. :D:D

life-threatening lacerations from breaking carboys

And that doesn't even take into consideration the extreme danger of a spouse's wrath when she learns about the new fermenter that cost many hundreds of dollars. :D:D
For me those are the 2 most concerning ones. I'll probably never go glass...
So far my wife has been very supportive of my hobby but there is definitely a spending level that will be a breaking point and I don't want to find it

So far my wife has been very supportive of my hobby but there is definitely a spending level that will be a breaking point and I don't want to find it

And while we are at it......Happy Wife...Happy Life! :D:D:D

Back