Wiring for 2 chugger pumps

For me those are the 2 most concerning ones. I'll probably never go glass...
So far my wife has been very supportive of my hobby but there is definitely a spending level that will be a breaking point and I don't want to find it
Suggestion, everytime you have a homebrew, mention how much money you are saving on beer, justify the expense. As opposed to golf on the other hand, that is just money going out with no return!

Suggestion, everytime you have a homebrew, mention how much money you are saving on beer, justify the expense. As opposed to golf on the other hand, that is just money going out with no return!
It's like I've mentioned to my wife any number of times... "Honey, homebrew is so cheap to make, we can't afford to NOT drink!". :D :D :D :D

It's only cheap if you ignore the amount spent on equipment but let's not tell our SO's that...
I mean no matter how much you spend there's in theory a break even point. The question is if you can ever reach it

he question is if you can ever reach it
It's not really a question. It's the same as the difference in buying a vacation home or renting a place once a year. paying for only what you use is always a better bargain and beer that's made 30 barrels at a time is always going to be cheaper at every point than anything we can do. We just like to keep up the illusion. :D

It's not really a question. It's the same as the difference in buying a vacation home or renting a place once a year. paying for only what you use is always a better bargain and beer that's made 30 barrels at a time is always going to be cheaper at every point than anything we can do. We just like to keep up the illusion. :D
I mean mathematically that just isn't true. If the option with the higher upfront cost has a lower recurring cost then it will always eventually break even. The break even point might be so far off it's not practical but the point still exists. Unless the recurring cost is greater or equal. Just leave out any math that doesn't support your argument. Unfortunately though my wife is a math teacher.

I'd probably break even someday if I could just stop buying craft beer (cuz I just want to try it!)... Honestly, at this point, I am wasting money on most craft beer - I hate to say it - I just think mine tastes better than most ;) - You can never beat that feeling of pride in your own work! lol

This is one of the few hobbies that that produces a product with value at the end of the day. Most hobbies give you mostly enjoyment. My brews cost between $1.00, and $1.50 in ingredients to make. The good commercial craft beer that I buy in the store is between $3.00 and $4.50. Whether the investment in equipment, gets amortized or not, I could care less.

I just realized that we have stayed way off topic from wiring up pumps, sorry, back to wiring...

My brews cost between $1.00, and $1.50 in ingredients to make. The good commercial craft beer that I buy in the store is between $3.00 and $4.50.
That's because you work for free. If you track all the cost that goes into a craft beer (unavoidable because you had to pay for it) and ignore a big hunk of the "cost" for homebrew, then you can justify it financially. A 5-gallon batch is 40 pints. Maybe a brew day is 6 hours and there's another hour of packaging, one way or another. At "unskilled" labor wages of $15 an hour that's $105 and that adds $2.60 per beer. Now you're right there at the same price range and you didn't have to pay rent out of it or amortize equipment.

Economies of scale dictate that we'll never be able to make the typical craft beer in small batches as cheaply as we can buy it.
We definitely don't brew because it saves money. :D :D :D We brew because we want to brew and because, like @Blackmuse says, our beer is better, in most instances than what we can buy. :)

PS...the wiring was solved long ago. The thread took on a life of it's own. :D :D :D

That's because you work for free. If you track all the cost that goes into a craft beer (unavoidable because you had to pay for it) and ignore a big hunk of the "cost" for homebrew, then you can justify it financially. A 5-gallon batch is 40 pints. Maybe a brew day is 6 hours and there's another hour of packaging, one way or another. At "unskilled" labor wages of $15 an hour that's $105 and that adds $2.60 per beer. Now you're right there at the same price range and you didn't have to pay rent out of it or amortize equipment.

Economies of scale dictate that we'll never be able to make the typical craft beer in small batches as cheaply as we can buy it.
We definitely don't brew because it saves money. :D :D :D We brew because we want to brew and because, like @Blackmuse says, our beer is better, in most instances than what we can buy. :)

PS...the wiring was solved long ago. The thread took on a life of it's own. :D :D :D
He's paying himself in beer. Isn't that the dream anyways?:D
I mean if you apply that logic is it cheaper to do anything yourself? Should we even bother with our own home or auto repairs if we're not saving money?

Reactions: J A
He's paying himself in beer. Isn't that the dream anyways?:D
I mean if you apply that logic is it cheaper to do anything yourself? Should we even bother with our own home or auto repairs if we're not saving money?
That's the whole point. It's cheaper if we do it ourselves and subsidize the transaction with our free labor. We just shouldn't try and fool ourselves into believing that there's a point where it turns a corner and the transaction runs in our favor. :D

That's the whole point. It's cheaper if we do it ourselves and subsidize the transaction with our free labor. We just shouldn't try and fool ourselves into believing that there's a point where it turns a corner and the transaction runs in our favor. :D
But is it even work if you enjoy it?

But is it even work if you enjoy it?
Like I said, we don't brew for cheaper beer, we brew because we want to brew. The pursuit of it is important far beyond the economics. :)

Like I said, we don't brew for cheaper beer, we brew because we want to brew. The pursuit of it is important far beyond the economics. :)
Yes but how will that argument go over with the wife when you try to justify your spending?

This whole “wife” thing...I’m not following.

I mean, my wife likes to spend money on things she enjoys. I would never deny her happiness.

Of course, no one has an infinite leash, but we all get to enjoy the time we are given. No?

Back