Bottle conditioning carbonation question

Herm brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am getting prepared to bottle my first attempt at a Belgian style witbier, fermented with Safale US-05.
Here is my recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/913048/herms-luna-azul

When I created the recipe, I don’t remember entering any info concerning carbonation levels, yet the recipe indicates priming to 4.04 volumes CO2, which seems quite high. Does anybody have a recommendation? I usually prime my Pale Ales and IPA’s at 2.5 volumes CO2, using table sugar. I do use the Brewer’s Friend priming calculator.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Last edited:
It's the style. Belgians are highly carbed usually. It's up to you really on how much carbonation you'd like, but you'll have to make sure your bottles can handle that high of a level. I can't speak from experience, but I've read that most of our bottles here aren't designed to handle that much. You could probably search that out to verify.

I am getting prepared to bottle my first attempt at a Belgian style witbier, fermented with Safale US-05.
Here is my recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/913048/herms-luna-azul

When I created the recipe, I don’t remember entering any info concerning carbonation levels, yet the recipe indicates priming to 4.04 volumes CO2, which seems quite high. Does anybody have a recommendation? I usually prime my Pale Ales and IPA’s at 2.5 volumes CO2, using table sugar. I do use the Brewer’s Friend priming calculator.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
12 oz. long necks shouldn’t be carbonated over 3.0 volumes.

I know I've done hefeweizens before well over 3 with no problems, but I used old New Belgium bottles from the 90's that were much heavier than the bottles you get today.

Hey Herm... just a note.
I have some Belgium Trappist ale still in bottles from 3 years ago... they age nicely. I carbed them at 2.8 and found that to be higher than what I like.. even though they fit the style and people/friends (german) like them a lot... I still wish I had carbed them lower.
although 2.2 is probably to low for the style.. I like that level of carbonation more... the higher levels seem to bubble up on my tongue when drinking and it is kind of like a Coke (cola, pop, etc.... depending on the location of the reader). 2.6 sounds reasonable. just a little higher than what my likes are.

edit... ohhh.. just another note... I did use some Heineken bottles when I did these... and I did have some explosions.:eek:

Hey Herm... just a note.
I have some Belgium Trappist ale still in bottles from 3 years ago... they age nicely. I carbed them at 2.8 and found that to be higher than what I like.. even though they fit the style and people/friends (german) like them a lot... I still wish I had carbed them lower.
although 2.2 is probably to low for the style.. I like that level of carbonation more... the higher levels seem to bubble up on my tongue when drinking and it is kind of like a Coke (cola, pop, etc.... depending on the location of the reader). 2.6 sounds reasonable. just a little higher than what my likes are.

edit... ohhh.. just another note... I did use some Heineken bottles when I did these... and I did have some explosions.:eek:
As stated above, I carb my Pale Ales and IPA’s to 2.5 volumes, using brown short neck bottles from Sierra Nevada. To date, no explosions for me. So I will try carbing at 2.6, and keep my fingers crossed.

As stated above, I carb my Pale Ales and IPA’s to 2.5 volumes, using brown short neck bottles from Sierra Nevada. To date, no explosions for me. So I will try carbing at 2.6, and keep my fingers crossed.
If you don't wear shoes while bottling you'll be able to up that carb level a bit without concern:D

I like the pale Belgians fizzy and use the bottles that can cope.

It's been ages since I used them, so can't remember which I'd prefer, but maybe the WB-06 or T-58 to give you a bit more yeast flavours than the US-05? Though there's nothing wrong with the US-05 approach if yeast flavours aren't your thing.

I like the pale Belgians fizzy and use the bottles that can cope.

It's been ages since I used them, so can't remember which I'd prefer, but maybe the WB-06 or T-58 to give you a bit more yeast flavours than the US-05? Though there's nothing wrong with the US-05 approach if yeast flavours aren't your thing.
I’m a big fan of T-58 for Belgian Pale Ales. I also like the BE-256 for higher gravity Belgians.

I assume you used the throw away bottles as the returnables should easily be able to handle the pressure!
Now sort of correcting myself as I think the brown returnables will only be available in the Netherlands

I assume you used the throw away bottles as the returnables should easily be able to handle the pressure!
Now sort of correcting myself as I think the brown returnables will only be available in the Netherlands

The 1 liter Heineken bottles here are heavy glass, green, returnables. They should have handled it fine, but out of 30 bottles, only 3 blew... those may have had a little more priming sugar solution for whatever reason. (I batch prime then bottle, so should have been equal.. but it happens). (or possibly flawed bottles).
I also use some of the Corona bottles with each batch... because they are clear and I can watch the color easier.

your evaluation of the throw aways is definitely correct... they are a thinner bottle and wouldn't handle anything serious.

I know that some people have a morbid fear of plastic, but I have used the PET bottles. I find them easier to clean than glass and there is no danger in sending shards of glass across the room. I have even used re-purposed 16 & 20 ounce plastic Coke bottles that have been thoroughly cleaned. Carbonated soft drinks are typically carbonated at higher pressures than beer, so the bottle is strong enough.

One added benefit of the plastic bottle is that you can feel when they are carbonated. The sides of the bottle are VERY stiff when carbonation is complete.

I bottle every batch with "recycled" 650 ml bottles. The highest I've gone is 2.8 volumes and seemed to be more than fizzy enough. I have a bit of a fear about bottle bombs so I don't think I'd ever go higher than 2.8 without getting some thicker bottles. I can get them from my local HBS but they take corks and cages and I don't really want to add that kind of gear to my stack.

I know that some people have a morbid fear of plastic, but I have used the PET bottles. I find them easier to clean than glass and there is no danger in sending shards of glass across the room. I have even used re-purposed 16 & 20 ounce plastic Coke bottles that have been thoroughly cleaned. Carbonated soft drinks are typically carbonated at higher pressures than beer, so the bottle is strong enough.

One added benefit of the plastic bottle is that you can feel when they are carbonated. The sides of the bottle are VERY stiff when carbonation is complete.
Bubba, you’re breaking all the rules. Clear containers, plastic, and you probably wear shoes when you brew, right?

On the plastic bottles, are you reusing the caps that come with the bottles?

Back