What's your next brew

Well looks like I’m going to double up again on the next brew day. Was planning on “Shore Leave” but it appears that the “Olde Plough” is disappearing at a rather alarming rate, probably need to make more.

With some company coming next weekend and one keg about to kick, I decided to brew a quick 4.5% Hazy.
Definitely moving onto the Wee Heavy after that, then will get to Zambi's Belgian, really looking forward to that one!

Hops are looking very plump and sounding papery on the squeeze test
20240218_103515.jpg
so some wet hop pale ale me thinks

Last edited:
Hops are looking very plump and sounding papery on the squeeze test View attachment 28504so some wet hop pale ale me thinks
How much difference is there in using fresh picked hops versus dried hops in your brewing?

I'd suspect:

1.) Pretty much zero wort absorption, so no correction needed for volume
2.) Higher/stronger Alpha Acids and oils before drying.
3.) Certainly can't get any fresher than hops picked the same day.
4.) Reduced boil time because of 1 and 2 above. No?

Do you chop 'em up before putting them in your brew, or just toss 'em in whole? Looking at how hop pellets are made, I can see where surface area exposure might cancel out some of the fresher qualities. I've never used fresh/dried hops, only pellets.

What kind of hops are these?
Cascade hops
How much difference is there in using fresh picked hops versus dried hops in your brewing?

I'd suspect:

1.) Pretty much zero wort absorption, so no correction needed for volume
2.) Higher/stronger Alpha Acids and oils before drying.
3.) Certainly can't get any fresher than hops picked the same day.
4.) Reduced boil time because of 1 and 2 above. No?

Do you chop 'em up before putting them in your brew, or just toss 'em in whole? Looking at how hop pellets are made, I can see where surface area exposure might cancel out some of the fresher qualities. I've never used fresh/dried hops, only pellets.
Yeah in years past I've thrown em in the Thermomix and blitzed them up.

I found throwing them in hole clogged my recirculation pump.
They act more like a pellet hop the all cut up tiny.

On the rub they sure express some citrus vibes.

Yup it's another cool dimension to homebrewing growing your own hops.

They will give me enough just for two brews but hey it's fun.

Cascade hops

Yeah in years past I've thrown em in the Thermomix and blitzed them up.

I found throwing them in hole clogged my recirculation pump.
They act more like a pellet hop the all cut up tiny.

On the rub they sure express some citrus vibes.

Yup it's another cool dimension to homebrewing growing your own hops.

They will give me enough just for two brews but hey it's fun.
I'm assuming the Thermomix is a blender.

Would putting a torpedo screen in place help with the pump issues? Or would that just move the clog to a less convenient place to correct it?

IIRC, there's a calculator for whole versus pellet hops on here, right? Is that what you use, or just the nose and taste buds?

I've got the room and might just put in some hops. Dunno if I can get a variety I like to grow here, though. No clue how many bines would be required to grow enough to support my brewing. Lately, that would be pretty much zero. Haven't brewed in a while now. Between the home renos and now the spring cleaning before the pollen falls (avoids stirring it up), I just haven't had time. How many bines to you have and how big are they?

I'm also trying to convince myself to get some new hardware for both ends of the process. A RIMS tube for mash temps control, and some 1/2 kegs to get outta some of the bottling. I may start priming by individual bottle like Herms to take that exposure out of the whole batch as well as let me do just what's needed after kegging. It'll be interesting to explore the differences in keg conditioning versus bottle conditioning. Not so much how long it takes, but see if I can taste a difference between keg and bottle conditioning.

I'm assuming the Thermomix is a blender.

Would putting a torpedo screen in place help with the pump issues? Or would that just move the clog to a less convenient place to correct it?

IIRC, there's a calculator for whole versus pellet hops on here, right? Is that what you use, or just the nose and taste buds?

I've got the room and might just put in some hops. Dunno if I can get a variety I like to grow here, though. No clue how many bines would be required to grow enough to support my brewing. Lately, that would be pretty much zero. Haven't brewed in a while now. Between the home renos and now the spring cleaning before the pollen falls (avoids stirring it up), I just haven't had time. How many bines to you have and how big are they?

I'm also trying to convince myself to get some new hardware for both ends of the process. A RIMS tube for mash temps control, and some 1/2 kegs to get outta some of the bottling. I may start priming by individual bottle like Herms to take that exposure out of the whole batch as well as let me do just what's needed after kegging. It'll be interesting to explore the differences in .
conditioning versus bottle conditioning. Not so much how long it takes, but see if I can taste a difference between keg and bottle conditioning.
Yeah I find just let it all flow through with no screen honestly though I've never used a screen.

Um I don't know the Alpha Acid % on these homegrown hops I use them late in the boil and keep some Magnum at start of the boil to add some bitterness.
I will look up Cascade AA% for Australian hops and just plug in a number maybe 3/4 of that number just spit balling it...

I find blending them up fine works just fine .

But these days I've been bagging my hops so that's something I've changed.

On the kegging front have you ever herd someone say they wish they never moved to kegging ? :)

Last edited:
Yeah I find just let it all flow through with no screen honestly though I've never used a screen.

Um I don't know the Alpha Acid % on these homegrown hops I use them late in the boil and keep some Magnum at start of the boil to add some bitterness.
I will look up Cascade AA% for Australian hops and just plug in a number maybe 3/4 of that number just spit balling it...

I find blending them up fine works just fine .

But these days I've been bagging my hops so that's something I've changed.

On the kegging front have you ever herd someone say they wish they never moved to kegging ? :)
"Oh, I prefer bottling"
Said no one ever.

Lol and now that you've said it, I bet here they come. It's one of the unwritten rules of the internet :D
Right as always @Sunfire96! :)

"Oh, I prefer bottling"
Said no one ever.
I actually did prefer bottling because I'm a cheap bastard. Bottling, which did take some time, was a few hours of me time that I wouldn't otherwise have. The only reason I'm switching to kegging now is physical limitations (sore wrists from carpal tunnel or similar). But to be honest, if money wasn't an issue I probably would have got into kegging years ago. ;)

Back