What are you drinking right now?

A mosi for me
Well that was yesterday
Somehow it didnt post.
IMG_20231201_174316_602.jpg

Gotta agree, particularly with stouts or darker ales. I rarely put my stouts and heavier dark beers on the shelves under our stairs where the lights are seldom on more than a few minutes at a time, and in boxes where the light doesn't get to them. I don't like them super cold, but not real fond of room temperature either. I keep a couple mugs in the freezer door for that purpose. It seems to chill them to just the right temperature. Not so cold that it freezes the taste buds, but cool enough to prevent the bitterness from being harsh. Tends to put a nice looking head on a pour too.
To each their own, but I abhor frozen glassware for serving beer. According to my brother in law, who is a cicerone, frozen glassware is a sure way to destroy the aroma and flavor of beer. The best way to serve, whether the beer is refrigerator or cellar cold, or room temperature is in room temperature glass. That allows for best presentation of aroma and flavor.
Recently while out for dinner, I ordered a Mexican lager, which was available only in bottles. The bartender opened the bottle, then grabbed a glass from the cooler. I politely asked for a room temperature glass, and they looked at me as if I had asked for a glass full of moldy leaves. When I ordered a second bottle and declined a fresh glass, they were dumbfounded.

To each their own, but I abhor frozen glassware for serving beer. According to my brother in law, who is a cicerone, frozen glassware is a sure way to destroy the aroma and flavor of beer. The best way to serve, whether the beer is refrigerator or cellar cold, or room temperature is in room temperature glass. That allows for best presentation of aroma and flavor.
Recently while out for dinner, I ordered a Mexican lager, which was available only in bottles. The bartender opened the bottle, then grabbed a glass from the cooler. I politely asked for a room temperature glass, and they looked at me as if I had asked for a glass full of moldy leaves. When I ordered a second bottle and declined a fresh glass, they were dumbfounded.
Agree. There’s one bar I frequent where I ask for a plastic cup. I know it’s clean and not frozen over. Can’t say that’s true for any of their other glasses. :)
And I agree regarding serving temperature. I argued before that it’s one of the most overlooked parts of homebrewing.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/serving-temperature.15176/

Last edited:
View attachment 27495Smooth Stout, right out of the utility/fermentation closet, where ambient temp is currently ~60F. It amazes me the depth of flavor that gets lost in a refrigerated beer. This is so much fuller of flavor. With just 3 bottles left, more needs to be brewed.
Two very pretty brews there Herm!

No Mexican cicerones?

I agree with it all, but I wet the inside of my glass before pouring.

Some day I might take the first level cicerone class.

No Mexican cicerones?

I agree with it all, but I wet the inside of my glass before pouring.

Some day I might take the first level cicerone class.
It's super easy, Don. They have some practice tests to give you an idea of what you need to study. You need to know a lot of styles and very little serving/draft knowledge

Back