What are you drinking right now?

went to bengals-Steelers game today. The buddy I went with and A few of I players kicked he keg of Helles. I got a few pours and I was quite happy with it. Thankfully I have a small keg from the same batch left so I’ll enjoy some of that soon.
1701270767955.png

That turned around quick Don?
It was over a week. There was still 'krausen' on top - my yeast slurry had a lot of hops in it - but i just filtered it and it came out fine. A little sweet, as I like it, but probably not much ABV. Never tested OG or FG. For $1.29, can't beat it.

1701406212939.png

My first batch of beer. A blood orange wheat beer that I am naming Sunset. I am proud of this for a first attempt. The only issue was that I miscalculated my efficiency and ended up 1 Plato over my expected OG. So, it is roughly 6% instead of the 5% that I wanted.

Last edited:
View attachment 27476
My first batch of beer. A blood orange wheat beer that I am naming Sunset. I am proud of this for a first attempt. The only issue was that I miscalculated my efficiency and ended up 1 Plato over my expected OG. So, it is roughly 6% instead of the 5% that I wanted.
Bloody beautiful especially for first batch out the gates many more I hope to come your way.

I'm drinking several of these rakau pale ales tonight.
20231201_194159.jpg

I really should put that jumper beer line away lol.

View attachment 27476
Congrats on Batch #1!
Did it turn out the way expected, or hoped?

It did in some aspects. I think it may need some more hops to balance it out, but I may wait and see how it tastes in a few more weeks.
I rarely bottle anymore, but once it has bottle conditioned (carbed up) it will benefit from a good couple of weeks in the fridge.
Any off flavors that you weren't expecting?

I rarely bottle anymore, but once it has bottle conditioned (carbed up) it will benefit from a good couple of weeks in the fridge.
Any off flavors that you weren't expecting?
Surprisingly no. It turned out to be really clean. Good blood orange aroma and flavor. It has been almost 3 weeks since I bottled it. I let that bottle sit in the fridge for 48 hours to chill and settle.

Surprisingly no. It turned out to be really clean. Good blood orange aroma and flavor. It has been almost 3 weeks since I bottled it. I let that bottle sit in the fridge for 48 hours to chill and settle.
That's awesome, my first batch was an extract kit from amazon.
I'll just say that it was drinkable...

View attachment 27476
Good for you, that looks great! As long as you like it, that is what matters. Welcome to the obsession.

image.jpg
Smooth Stout, right out of the utility/fermentation closet, where ambient temp is currently ~60F. It amazes me the depth of flavor that gets lost in a refrigerated beer. This is so much fuller of flavor. With just 3 bottles left, more needs to be brewed.

Last edited:
View attachment 27495Smooth Stout, right out of the utility/fermentation closet, where ambient temp is currently ~60F. It amazes me the depth of flavor that gets lost in a refrigerated beer. This is so much fuller of flavor. With just 3 bottles left, more needs to be brewed.
Gotta agree, particularly with stouts or darker ales. I rarely put my stouts and heavier dark beers on the shelves under our stairs where the lights are seldom on more than a few minutes at a time, and in boxes where the light doesn't get to them. I don't like them super cold, but not real fond of room temperature either. I keep a couple mugs in the freezer door for that purpose. It seems to chill them to just the right temperature. Not so cold that it freezes the taste buds, but cool enough to prevent the bitterness from being harsh. Tends to put a nice looking head on a pour too.

Back