What are you drinking right now?

Top is Columbus ale, bottom is citra ale. Both are with 2 row and crystal 40. 4oz each hop whirlpool at 110F.
I can never make my mind up on what to brew so I end up with a pale ale every time
IMG_8583.jpeg

IMG_7830.jpeg

went to bengals-Steelers game today. The buddy I went with and A few of I players kicked he keg of Helles. I got a few pours and I was quite happy with it. Thankfully I have a small keg from the same batch left so I’ll enjoy some of that soon.

I drank the last bottle of my Wheat Ale. Though I was looking for something more from this beer at the start, by the end of the batch it had rounded out nicely, so maybe all it really needed was more time. For the final pour, I did give it a small swirl of Boysenberry syrup.
Now I am working on a bottle of Smooth Stout, whose mellow roastiness I enjoy. This beer will see another batch soon, when there is fermenter space available.

You give me more credit than due about knowing what I'm doing, LOL. I'm firmly convinced there's a certain amount of magic, luck, and a heaping helping of guesswork involved in this hobby.
Beer, we humans have been making it for thousands of years.

I count myself lucky to be continuing on the tradition.

I just might have had a few:p
20231127_162050.jpg

Q4 Amber
20231127_163606.jpg

Last edited:
MyDSC21-121.jpg

My attempt at Bonfire Toffee Stout from Ritchies' Festival kit range. ABV: 6.5%. Four months old. This pour has a fast dissipating head with cola type carbonation that goes up your nostrils. The taste has light-moderate liquorice notes in with the more prominent burnt oakiness. Nice enough but the pour yesterday which I preferred had a creamier, darker lasting head with toffee and maltiness coming through effectively reducing all the above elements. I was still priming bottles individually at that point so must have added slightly differing amounts of dextrose but never had such a contrast before. I have since started to prime the whole batch when transferring into a second vessel before bottling and reckon I'll stick with that method.

The last of my altbier
View attachment 27445
Magnificent!

Wheat bier here quite interesting nose on it trying to figure out what's comming from the hops and what's an expression from the yeast.
The lime description is Smack on for Taiheke which is why I ordered it for this beer going for that citrus vibe lime even better!

It's got a nice floral perfume nose coupled with that bannan ester it sure is enticing!
Nice body too not quite what a wheat beer should be but the yeast has nicely calmed any high Sulphate level down which I was going for in the parent copy Double Troube.

Gunna have to try this yeast with something more noble to see what the yeast is fully presenting.
20231128_171403.jpg

Magnificent!

Wheat bier here quite interesting nose on it trying to figure out what's comming from the hops and what's an expression from the yeast.
The lime description is Smack on for Taiheke which is why I ordered it for this beer going for that citrus vibe lime even better!

It's got a nice floral perfume nose coupled with that bannan ester it sure is enticing!
Nice body too not quite what a wheat beer should be but the yeast has nicely calmed any high Sulphate level down which I was going for in the parent copy Double Troube.

Gunna have to try this yeast with something more noble to see what the yeast is fully presenting.View attachment 27446
What yeast did you use?

Used that Munich Classic yeast from Llamand.
Oh right! I‘m glad you got along with it. Convinces me that my experience with it was all my fault! :p

Oh right! I‘m glad you got along with it. Convinces me that my experience with it was all my fault! :p
Yeah it had a warm fermentation started 21c and ended 24c so maybe this drove more flavours from the yeast I have hopped it a little on the back end but nothing crazy.

'Tis the Season for Celebration.​
It is a tradition with my dad that I pick up a 6 pack of this for December. I was going to have my Blood Orange Wheat Beer, but I found the bottle frozen in my fridge (I am still trying to figure out why it is doing that), so this is my substitute. This was a bad poor as well.

IMG_20231128_204847_410.jpg

Rakau you or more like not gunna make it to Christmas beer.

Beautiful hop flavour more so than aroma Wife said that smells like Galaxy lol.
Anything that smells remotely hoppy she says Galaxy but she's not far off!
Passionfruit pineapple and I smell a melon thing like rockmellon not sure the word over there.

hop heads TRY SOME Rakau!
Think of a Mosaic or Galaxy but with a chewy fruit vibe...
( not a big name NZ hop UNDERRATED)
View attachment 27375

That head dissipates in a heartbeat but man I wish I could paired this with a pale ale / Munich Wheat malt grist it would shine nicely.

The body on the rice base don't quite cut it but sure is moreish!
I might just change gears and buy a pound of Rakau, and swap out the Citra in my next Hazy

'Tis the Season for Celebration.​
It is a tradition with my dad that I pick up a 6 pack of this for December. I was going to have my Blood Orange Wheat Beer, but I found the bottle frozen in my fridge (I am still trying to figure out why it is doing that), so this is my substitute. This was a bad poor as well.

I have had that before, haven't seen it here for ages

What is wrong with it?
What would you change?

Looks nice and clear
It has settled out, and is much better now.
I think it was a poor rinsing after cleaning issue.
It is still not the greatest beer, but it is very good now, and has cleared up some more as well.

Back