Cold IPA?

Beerbelly

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone brewed one? I’m interested in recipes, yeast and hopping schedules you used. I’d like to try brewing one.

Has anyone brewed one? I’m interested in recipes, yeast and hopping schedules you used. I’d like to try brewing one.
Nope brewed something similar NZ pilsner.

Good luck interested in how you get on with it.

Are you looking for something as bitter as an IPA? Or a dry hopped lager?

Either way I've made both. I think it's important to use a lager yeast that floccuates well, like 34/70. Most recipes I've seen have either flaked rice or minute rice, around 5-10% of the grain bill. Everything else is pilsner, maybe a small percentage of carapils/carafoam.

New world and PNW hops work best: citrus, tropical, juicy, berry, melon, those types of hops.

Good luck with it, I'm a big fan of the style. Cheers!

Always heard it called IPL. :p

Guess I have not heard of this one then.
IPLs are dry hopped lagers: clean, crispy, fewer than 25 IBUs, tons of hop aroma and flavor

Cold IPAs are 6+% ABV, over 40 IBUs (ish), generally include rice or corn adjuncts, fermented with lager yeast on the higher temperature threshold for lager yeasts (60-65'F), and heavily dry hopped with New World/PNW hops. Imagine a clean, crispy version of an IPA, but just as bitter and alcoholic as a traditional IPA

IPLs are dry hopped lagers: clean, crispy, fewer than 25 IBUs, tons of hop aroma and flavor

Cold IPAs are 6+% ABV, over 40 IBUs (ish), generally include rice or corn adjuncts, fermented with lager yeast on the higher temperature threshold for lager yeasts (60-65'F), and heavily dry hopped with New World/PNW hops. Imagine a clean, crispy version of an IPA, but just as bitter and alcoholic as a traditional IPA
When I go to the breweries, that is pretty much it. An IPL is more like a lager version of a Pale Ale, and the Cold IPA has the gravity of an IPA. I actually wish I could find more of the lower gravity versions. I might have to make one eventually now that I figured out the lager process and discovered 34/70.
I had a hoppy Pilsner where the brewer screwed up and added too many hops, and that was damn good.

After a bunch of research, this recipe seems to touch most bases for ingredients and process:
https://hazyandhoppy.com/cold-ipa-recipe/
I have read that the original brewer of cold IPA (Kevin Davey at Wayfinder Brewing) recommends dry hopping during high krausen in the primary, which I think I’ll try.

After a bunch of research, this recipe seems to touch most bases for ingredients and process:
https://hazyandhoppy.com/cold-ipa-recipe/
I have read that the original brewer of cold IPA (Kevin Davey at Wayfinder Brewing) recommends dry hopping during high krausen in the primary, which I think I’ll try.
Looks good! Keep us posted on how it goes

I used the Hazy and Hoppy recipe, and dry hopped in the fermenter on day 2 at high krausen. This W-34/70 works fast at warmer temps! OG 1060 down to 1011 on day 5. Transferred to secondary on day 6 for 2 days, now in fridge @ 34˚:

20231213_144411.jpg

I have to finish a keg of either Vienna SMaSH or Munich SMaSH before I can keg it. It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it….

I have always called Dry hopped Lagers...Dry hopped Lagers.

I call an IPA produced with lager yeast an IPL, But technically thats not the right name. It would probably fall under Specialty IPA if it were being judged?

But according to BJCP an IPL(International Pale Lager) you are totally right. But if you look at the examples, not a lot of people would consider Corona extra an IPL. I think there is some confussion on these terms.

https://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/2/2A/international-pale-lager/

I have not heard the term Cold IPA used before to be honest.

I would still call a higher abv and hoppier lager an IPL though to be honest.

I have always called Dry hopped Lagers...Dry hopped Lagers.

I call an IPA produced with lager yeast an IPL, But technically thats not the right name. It would probably fall under Specialty IPA if it were being judged?

But according to BJCP an IPL(International Pale Lager) you are totally right. But if you look at the examples, not a lot of people would consider Corona extra an IPL. I think there is some confussion on these terms.

https://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/2/2A/international-pale-lager/

I have not heard the term Cold IPA used before to be honest.

I would still call a higher abv and hoppier lager an IPL though to be honest.
IPL = India Pale Lager. Neither it or Cold IPAs have official categories in any beer judging literature. Someday it'll be added, just like Hazy IPAs and Brut IPAs

IPL = India Pale Lager. Neither it or Cold IPAs have official categories in any beer judging literature. Someday it'll be added, just like Hazy IPAs and Brut IPAs
I was just responding to what you were saying about the total IBUs in an IPL vs a dry-hopped lager.

I would assume they will add a separate category for Juicy IPAs as well? They will likely just distinguish between India pale lager and International pale lager.

Back