You know you did it wrong when...

Stressful brewday yesterday.
Everything seemed to go wrong! !
Somehow my refractometer has moved calibration by 6 points .
Did a DIPA that software kept saying would mash at 5.08 even though the water calculator said 5.23 and my ph meter read 5.24 .( minor problem)
Somehow ended up well over volume in boil but I'm patient enough to just boil longer and just as I get hot break dropping I get an urgent phone call and need to duck out for an hour but don't want to leave kettle running unattended so dial heat back .
When I get back I crank up the heat again only to find the element is all gummed up and won't boil Ggggrrrrr!

Thinking that I'm finally past all dramas I boil away and add all my hops, chill to 70°C for WP addition and have a sneaky taster only to find I'm no where near my 100 ibu target
There were some grown up words used that I wouldn't use here.....

Quick mental maths used so quickly get some heat back into wort to increase bitterness, winging it all the way until my mouth agrees that's it's 100ibu , chill then pitch and walk away in disgust .

Wake up today, see yeast are already going mental and take another sneaky taster to find its tasting spot on, gravity 4 points high but meh.

Off to clean up the brewery and maybe even knock out another batch today
Sounds like my golf game arghhhh

Well atleast you got that out of the way...
Just hope my turn dont come next:rolleyes:!

There's an old saying about bikers. "There are those who have dropped their bike, and those that will"

There are those who have screwed up a brew and those that will.

I have done both.

I miss my bike, should never have sold it.
Other friends on sports bikes would laugh looking at my rear tyre and lack of wear on sidewall , I dropped enough bikes growing up and remember just how much it hurts

is this place for me to vent about some stuff??

I certainly didn't do anything wrong today. But I witnessed some one else do something TERRIBLY wrong and get in my way while trying to do my job.

I work as a cellar man, and this morning I go to clean one of the Brites so it won't have crap sitting in it over thanksgiving break. A newer-ish employee, and I really don't know his job title, but apparently he's nearly everyone's boss? He does maintenance and is supposed to fix things around the building. He's eyeing what I'm doing; my job, what I'm supposed to do. He keeps setting up an 8 foot ladder in my way and trying to look at the valves on top of the tank. Whatever.

I get the tank heated up and starting circulating caustic 283 and hot 160ºF water through the tank. He asks what I'm doing, I tell him I'm cleaning the tank, and then asks if the tank is under pressure at all. Well, yeah, probably. There's hot water and chemicals in there, there's probably a decent buildup of pressure in there. He says he needs to put a T on the top of the tank where the pressure relief valve is. I said, can you wait? I'm in the middle of using chemicals and cleaning the tank. He says OK sure just tell me when you're finished.

Next thing I know, he's back on top of the ladder. And then next next thing I see, is him not even on the ladder anymore, he's crouched on top of BT4, hanging onto the ceiling's I-beam. What are you doing guy? He pulls some sort of relief valve off somehow, and I hear a huge noise of the tank depressurizing. He starts yelling for some one to bring him some clamps or something. I tell some one with more authority than I, you gotta tell this guy to stop, he's going to chemically burn himself.

Well, the other cellar man, working near the sink, sees him about a minute later at the sink washing his arms off with water for a good 5 minutes. Why could he be doing that? Probably because he sprayed caustic all over himself.

Later, he starts telling us, the cellar men, to do an entirely different job. We say no, that transfer isn't on the schedule. And we have a minor argument about it. I'm fed up with this guy, I go tell my manager what's going on. My manager says ok, the main issue is the caustic thing and him climbing on top of the brite tank is totally unsafe. My manager goes and files a report with HR.

Near the end of the day, my manager comes back and says, so HR called the guy into the office and asked him what was going on with the situation earlier. The guy adamantly says, "no, that never happened." EXCUSE ME? IN ORDER FOR YOU TO NOT SOUND LIKE A TOTAL IDIOT AND COVER YOUR OWN BUTT, YOU LIE ABOUT IT???

So my manager says, you saw him up there right? I said of course I saw him up there, why would I lie about this?? Two other people saw all this happen also. I hope this gets juicier. I hope this unravels further. WOW was I angry today. This guy also made my department do a bunch of extra work today, that we REALLY REALLY didn't need to do. So I ended up working 8:45-5:30, when I easily could have been done by 2 or 3 today.

carry on, everyone.

People like that don't usually last too long, unless they're related to someone in a high position. Seen plenty of idiots come sand go. Just part of the real world. All you can do is stay out of their way so you don't get injured.

That's some powerful stupidity and arrogance. He's lucky he didn't get seriously hurt.

You think everything is going well until...
Until you know you did it wrong when

So I started out some time ago drilling a hole in the SIDE of my fridge to run the CO2 line in. First I drilled a small hole on the inside of the fridge, being very careful to not allow the drill to do any more than that. Success, poked around inside the hole, no refer lines. Drilled the hole ran the gas line, all good. Then i get my first tap same procedure, success again. Fast forward to Christmas day. I received another tap and a drip tray from my wife, so I got straight to work installing them in the SIDE of my fridge. Convinced now that there just aren't any reefer lines in the side walls of this fridge, no more careful test holes. Just went and drilled the hole for the tap and installed it, no problems. Now course you know that this just adds to my confidence that there are no refrig lines in the SIDE of this fridge... On to the drip tray, measure, mark and drill three holes, so far, so good . Install one screw, all goodg, then on to the second screw, two turns on the second screw, and then hisssssssssssssssssss. Well of course all one can do now is throw the screwdriver like it was somehow the screwdrivers fault, and say a pretty decent number of bad words...

The good ending to this story is that I found another fridge for $200 the next day and repeated the process. Only change of course is that I installed everything in the fridge door:rolleyes:

Still have to figure out how to get the CO2 in, I just have it inside the fridge right now.

You think everything is going well until...
Until you know you did it wrong when

So I started out some time ago drilling a hole in the SIDE of my fridge to run the CO2 line in. First I drilled a small hole on the inside of the fridge, being very careful to not allow the drill to do any more than that. Success, poked around inside the hole, no refer lines. Drilled the hole ran the gas line, all good. Then i get my first tap same procedure, success again. Fast forward to Christmas day. I received another tap and a drip tray from my wife, so I got straight to work installing them in the SIDE of my fridge. Convinced now that there just aren't any reefer lines in the side walls of this fridge, no more careful test holes. Just went and drilled the hole for the tap and installed it, no problems. Now course you know that this just adds to my confidence that there are no refrig lines in the SIDE of this fridge... On to the drip tray, measure, mark and drill three holes, so far, so good . Install one screw, all goodg, then on to the second screw, two turns on the second screw, and then hisssssssssssssssssss. Well of course all one can do now is throw the screwdriver like it was somehow the screwdrivers fault, and say a pretty decent number of bad words...

The good ending to this story is that I found another fridge for $200 the next day and repeated the process. Only change of course is that I installed everything in the fridge door:rolleyes:

Still have to figure out how to get the CO2 in, I just have it inside the fridge right now.

Oh man. Tough one to swallow! If you search around online (homebrewtalk) there are a lot of schematics available folks have done over the years. Sometimes you can find the model you're dealing with.

I found a schematic diagram for the new fridge and there appears to be one line diagonally on both sides, the Yoder condensate line . It runs roughly from the top of the fridge door diagonally to the bottom rear. Tomorrow I will make a small test hole from the inside of the fridge so I can feel around and see if the coast is clear.

Ah poor bugger Craig you were pretty lucky there for awhile good idea on schematics takes the guess work out of it I suppose.

Got er done today, got the gas line in through the side of the fridge without killing it. Almost thinking now that I need a third fridge for cold crashing, just don't have anywhere to put it. With the weather in the next week hovering just a little below freezing, I will use the great outdoors to cold crash the BIPA, and the NEIPA.

You know you did it wrong when.....
The mash takes FOREVER to convert,
When it finally does yer runnings are milky as hell especially for a blond ale.
Your OG sample tastes like a sweet and sour candy...
Then you realize you used almost 3 OUNCES of lactic acid instead of 3 mills

Back