You know you did it wrong when...

That reminds me, on my last brew I found a stainless bolt and washer in my spent grain. By luck I discovered it came from the bottom side of my grain mill. :confused:

Bolt would have left a mark if it would have gone through the mill rollers.:eek:

I can't even remember how many times I've fermented my stir bar. I set my plate magnet next to my stir plate every time and still forget till I hear that final plunk into the fermenter.

I've gotten lucky so far and haven't dumped the stir bar. My main area of problem is forgetting to save a bit for the next starter and having to buy another pack of yeast.

Always having a backup propane tank. Nothing like emptying one tank, and saying to the wife.... “no worries babe, I’ll just hookup the spare tank!” Then when you grab the spare you realize that it is very light compared to a full bottle o_O . And then I tell the wife: “Babe.... do you need anything else from Lowe’s?” :eek:

funny I have 8 tanks, I did use for grilling, brewing and for a fish fry, I always kept 4 filled but I've went to electric in brewing and fish fry so I don't know what to do with 6 ?

Not a bad problem to have. It would be funny if you ran out of gas in the middle of a bbq and all the tanks were empty. I have done that with 4 tanks.

Last edited:
Always having a backup propane tank. Nothing like emptying one tank, and saying to the wife.... “no worries babe, I’ll just hookup the spare tank!” Then when you grab the spare you realize that it is very light compared to a full bottle o_O . And then I tell the wife: “Babe.... do you need anything else from Lowe’s?” :eek:
Thats why ive not brewed in awhile im too lazy and keep forgetting to get me gas bottle refilled (i really need to go electric)...

When your strike water is ready, you take the lid off your grain bucket to realize that you forgot to have the LHBS mill you grains, aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!

I am pretty tight with a few of the local craft brewers, my buddy Keith at Jackass Brewing bailed me out!

A corona mill is like $60 dude. Put a bolt in the handle threads and use a drill, I mill 10kg of grain in about 5 minutes.

A corona mill is like $60 dude. Put a bolt in the handle threads and use a drill, I mill 10kg of grain in about 5 minutes.
I hear ya buddy, I will invest in a mill of some kind at some point. It is down the list a bit right now, current list of future investments are kegging, and brewing equipment upgrades.

You see Brewer's Friend is giving you a mash pH of 4.87 on a beer you've brewed before, and you try to correct it with quicklime (calcium hydroxide). The result is then milky water from the carbonate precipitation and a mash several tenths of a point too high in pH. You correct that with phosphoric acid.... Then see that the recipe has corrected itself back to pH of 5.37....

The wort came out clear in the end. It worked. Moral of the story, when you get a result you know is wrong, believe what you know!

Stressful brewday yesterday.
Everything seemed to go wrong! !
Somehow my refractometer has moved calibration by 6 points .
Did a DIPA that software kept saying would mash at 5.08 even though the water calculator said 5.23 and my ph meter read 5.24 .( minor problem)
Somehow ended up well over volume in boil but I'm patient enough to just boil longer and just as I get hot break dropping I get an urgent phone call and need to duck out for an hour but don't want to leave kettle running unattended so dial heat back .
When I get back I crank up the heat again only to find the element is all gummed up and won't boil Ggggrrrrr!

Thinking that I'm finally past all dramas I boil away and add all my hops, chill to 70°C for WP addition and have a sneaky taster only to find I'm no where near my 100 ibu target
There were some grown up words used that I wouldn't use here.....

Quick mental maths used so quickly get some heat back into wort to increase bitterness, winging it all the way until my mouth agrees that's it's 100ibu , chill then pitch and walk away in disgust .

Wake up today, see yeast are already going mental and take another sneaky taster to find its tasting spot on, gravity 4 points high but meh.

Off to clean up the brewery and maybe even knock out another batch today

I just bought 2 Corona mills for $13 each at farm store. Went to get one but they were 60%off on clearance so took two home. :)

Back