Yeast strains for feedback.

Nottingham cleares better than US-05 and given enough time, it will clear well. If you cold crash and use gelatine, then it will be crystal clear from the start.

I've used Munich Classic twice and will brew again with it tomorrow and again next month, for a Weizenbock with fruit additions, lactose and vanilla, just for kicks. The aroma and flavour profile - for a dry yeast - are very good. I usually ferment warm, as I like more banana, so the 2 hefes were banana heavy, but there is definitely enough clove to balance it out. The yeast also produces the common tartness found in hefes, has a nice, soft mouthfeel. There is also some other non-descript fruit, which I got in the flavour, but subdued. Overall, it is one of the best dry yeast out there, with a great and noticeable ester profile, which is important in an yeast driven beer.

WB-06 was never a Hefe yeast, although for far too long, it was presented as such. In fact, it is a diastaticus strain, which I've used once before I knew what it was. It made a crappy, overly sour, dry beer, and that was the last time I've touched it.
So the last beer I made with WB-06 was a true hefe but came up short in my opinion. It was not as you describe but itleft more lemony tartness than I would like. ....

So, Munich Classic will be given the next shot. Your description of it sounds awesome. Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to my next hefe!

OK, so I recently decided to try out a few Mangrove Jack's strains. Brewed 1.050 ESB Last Friday (7/27) using M-15 Empire Ale. 90% MO, 5% each Amber Malt and 5% C-40. BIAB, so dough in was at 158 and expected to drop to about 152, which it did. Did an iodine test after 30 minutes which indicated that conversion was complete. Left it alone for another 45 minutes before pulling the bag and boiling.

Volume and gravity into fermenter was as planned. Did a starter with the yeast to reach pitching rate according to BF calculator. Chilled to 66F and pitched the whole starter. Fermentation kicked off in about 9 hours and was very active soon afterwards. After about 36 hours the krausen began to fall, so cranked the temp up to 68. Within hours the beer started to stratify as the yeast began to drop out. I took a gravity reading and was at 1.024, so gave it a good swirl and upped the temp to 72. No sign of krausen reforming and it's beginning to stratify again, so if the yeast is still munching, it's just grazing. Will leave it for another week and recheck gravity.

Has anyone had any experience with this strain? If so, what kind of results?

all I can say is mangroves yeast in general tend to do that, drop too soon I mean, I'm not sure why

all I can say is mangroves yeast in general tend to do that, drop too soon I mean, I'm not sure why

I noticed that almost all of them are listed as highly flocculant, but would have thought upping the temp and swirling back into suspension would have helped. We'll see. Probably not a good candidate for a higher mash temperature.
On the bright side, the beer has great flavor and aroma and isn't really cloying. Maybe accidentally made a Scottish Ale :)

what I've been doing with all yeast is after 3 days rise a degree or 2 every day until day 7 then raise to 72 and swirl until day 10 and it always works

what I've been doing with all yeast is after 3 days rise a degree or 2 every day until day 7 then raise to 72 and swirl until day 10 and it always works

Thanks! Sounds like a plan for the other 2 MJ yeasts I have . I generally raise the temp to the high 60s when the churning starts to slow and keg around day 14. Looks like these yeasts need a little more encouragement.

Made a starter with WLP 090, San Diego Super. Going to pitch it into a Pale Ale. Currently looking for a yeast to substitute for the Chico strains.

I let the ESB sit a week after swirling and raising the temp. I didn't move but a couple of points so pitched an active US-05 starter. It kicked right off and showed some activity for about 5 days and then krausen fell. Let it sit for a couple more days before crashing. Just took a gravity reading and it was at 1.020. Guess it is what it is. Not going to dough in that high again. Doesn't taste bad and not cloying, so I'll keg it.

I used Omega Yeast Labs British Ale V in my last batch, did a starter two days before brew day, it was ripping within a few hours (pitched around 8pm). In the morning I had quite a mess in the morning, had to rig up a hose into a jug for an air lock, and had to tie the bung down as it kept blowing off.

Has anyone ever used this yeast?
It is calmly burping away now, curious to hear from anyone who has used this strain.

Obviously a bigger fermenter is called for. :)
Lower temperature will help in keeping the fermentation from getting out of control. You don't mention your pitch temp, but I'm betting it was at least mid-60's. By the time the yeast really gets going and starts to create heat energy, you could be 70 degrees plus in a hurry. If you started at 6, you could get to mid-70s. That'll create an environment that allows the yeast to go nuts and create a lot of CO2 in a hurry. And a lot of British strains are known for going fast.
When I know I've got a big pitch and/or a high-gravity ale, I'll pitch at 60 and let it get going for a couple of days before letting it rise to 68.

Made a starter with WLP 090, San Diego Super. Going to pitch it into a Pale Ale. Currently looking for a yeast to substitute for the Chico strains.
Youll like it itll come out the gates full gallop for 3 days then drop like a stone for you ive got attenuation up to 84%. Id be 8n full swing atm?

Obviously a bigger fermenter is called for. :)
Lower temperature will help in keeping the fermentation from getting out of control. You don't mention your pitch temp, but I'm betting it was at least mid-60's. By the time the yeast really gets going and starts to create heat energy, you could be 70 degrees plus in a hurry. If you started at 6, you could get to mid-70s. That'll create an environment that allows the yeast to go nuts and create a lot of CO2 in a hurry. And a lot of British strains are known for going fast.
When I know I've got a big pitch and/or a high-gravity ale, I'll pitch at 60 and let it get going for a couple of days before letting it rise to 68.
I don't have any control over my fermentation temperature yet, and chilled the wort as much as I could, pitched around 70. I have a fridge to turn into a fermentation chamber just need to invest in the inkbird controller... next month...

Yep...pitching at 70 is a pretty sure-fire formula for a blowout in many cases. :D
Inkbirds are pretty routinely available for around $30. You'll never look back. ;)
One thing you can do is to use a water bath and put your carboy or bucket on ice in it for a bit to cool it further before you pitcy. It's easier to keep the water a little cooler and it really mitigates the temp swings.

Airlock activity slowed, and 3 days after pitching, FG was reached.

My second go with San Diego Super. My question is, has any one noticed lag with the starter. It's been going 18 hrs or so, and the activity is slow. I pitched from my bank, and there were plenty of cells pitched. Gravity is around 1.040.
WLP 009.

The starter was slow for WLP 009, no lag once pitched. Ok, sweet Pete.

Started drinking a batch with Safale BE-134, one of their saison strains. Very little lag, dropped like a stone for a few days and just kept on fermenting. I underpitched a bit and you definitely can't call it bland. I won't be underpitching so much next time.

Stats from the tilt are here (calibration was off by 7 points) - https://www.brewstat.us/brew/4777/buath-garru (assuming people can see that link).

Wyeast 1335 is my newest venture. In the starter now, going to brew an English Stout with it Saturday.

The 1335 is a nice English strain. Clear with less test expression than others I have tried.

Back