Yeast strains for feedback.

Keeping fresh stock takes juggling no matter what part of the retail world you live in .
Spare a thought for those of us on other side of the planet .
If I want a particular strain I order ahead of time or postpone that brew .
In my state I can only get Wyeast , next state I can get gigayeast and its still a lottery as to how fresh it is and how well it was handled through the supply chain

If I ran a store, I’d stock what I thought I could sell. 60 or 80 yeasts seems a bit extreme.
It is but if they try to keep everything that's what you'd end up with. Most places will cut that number down but even if they feel they need to keep 20 yeasts for variety, depending on how busy they are and what their customers are brewing that can be too many to get sold quickly.

My brew store does a fairly good job with having fresh yeast in stock. I bet they keep at least 20 yeasts. It can be done, depending on customer base. They probably special order as well. I think I only use Kolsch, Oktoberfest, and Czech Pils. It’s usually in stock. Everything else I use is dry.

I recently brewed a brown, with Wyeast 1272, American Ale 2. Pleasantly surprised with how nicely it flocced. Not sparkling, but pretty good for fat guys brewing in a basement, with no finings. Little to no flavor profile, hit the FG to within a point. 1.011 v 1.010 actual. Will be using again, probs in the next Blondie.

Using that same yeast for my Session IPA we are brewing this weekend. It is a great performing yeast.

I am in a funk; excuse my second cartoon reference. But this is what I thought of when I saw “performing yeast.”

Don't worry too much about your son Jeff. USMC boot camp is pretty tame compared to the '60s and '70s. When my youngest daughter went off to college in Salem, OR I worried myself sick until our first visit a few months later. She was way more settled in than I ever thought of being at her age and my worries all but ceased.

Now, some 9 years later, she has an MPH and makes more than I ever did and she does the worrying about mom & dad. You've done your best to raise a responsible person. Now he will show you the fruits of your labor, I'm sure.

I’ll file you under “haven’t been there.” ;)

It's going to be tough. He won't have much time at all and when he does, he'll be exhausted. But many others have done it, my boss included, and he'll be home soon enough.

Again, I am completely aware of that. It’s the powerless feeling that surprised me. I was wondering who’s been there as a parent, a parent of a kid at Marine boot camp. I’m not a helicopter parent, but I do like to know how my kids are doing. I don’t interfere, or protect them from the world. I don’t get that with him in boot camp. I won’t hear from him for a couple weeks. I’d like to know how he’s coping, that’s all. I asked my wife yesterday, if it were possible to see him, knowing that you can’t interact with him, would you want to? Or would you want to be left in the dark and wait like we must do now? Part of me would like to see the look on his face and his reaction as his drill instructor is nose to nose with him, yelling at the top of his lungs at my son for whatever reason. I know it has happened and will happen again and again. I’m ok with that. I don’t wish to tell the DI he’s a meanie. I’d just like to see how my son is coping with the intensity. If he can handle it, as hundreds of thousands have, he goes on to become a Marine. If he can’t, as some can’t, he comes home. My son is prepared for this. I don’t see him washing out. He wants it. Again, as a parent, I’d just like to get a peek at how he’s coping. That’s all I was wondering here, if anyone else here has experienced that as a parent of a child in Marine boot camp. I know my son will come through. I know he’ll be exhausted until it’s over. I know he’ll be fine. If I still can’t get my point across, I don’t know what more to say. Like the title of the thread where these posts should be says, who’s been there?

I have no experience with the marines, but obviously you are hurting... thoughts are with you Jeff as you are just a concerned parent. The world needs more parents that care for their children like you do. I have a 21 year old son that I worry about all the time since he went to college. I’ll raise a glass to you and your son this evening!

First time I pitched WYEAST 1010 into a wort, was yesterday. I started it on Friday, harvested some for the yeast bank, then pitched the remainder.Full on high krausen within 14 hrs. We'll see how it tastes.

First time I pitched WYEAST 1010 into a wort, was yesterday. I started it on Friday, harvested some for the yeast bank, then pitched the remainder.Full on high krausen within 14 hrs. We'll see how it tastes.
I just used the same yeast.... Blew off almost a gallon, still going strong, has already fermented two-thirds of the sugars since yesterday. That stuff is a BEAST.

US-05 is still a very good yeast for apropriate styles, but it's a bit slower than other dry yeast and it does not flocculate well. I still use it.

Nottingham is very good. Highly attenuative, good flocculator, agressive fermenter, clean and very quick. It works well in both English and American style beers, but it does not produce a whole lot of esters.

Windsor is another very good yeast, at least for me. With the right grain bill, mash temperature + use of sugar in the boil, fermentation temperature and schedule, it produces very tasty beers ( attenuation for me is between 70% and 73% with this yeast ). It's an estery yeast, although you should not expect " liquid yeast " levels of esters and complexity. But it works well in bitters, red ales, brown, porters and stouts. Benefits from ageing.

Danstar Munich Classic: it's the dry Weihenstephaner strain, and it produces very estery+phenolic beers, with lots of mouthfeel and flavour. I recommend higher fermentation temperatures ( over 70% ). Attenuation is 74-77%. It's fast, reliable and agressive as hell. With 2 gallons headspace in my Speidel fermenters, it litterally blew through the oversized airlock and kep at that for half a day. By day 3 it was done.

S-04 is good, if you like the flavour profile. This is one yeast in need to experiment more with.

T-58: It's realiable, ferments fast, agressive, attenuation is always between 75 and 82% for me, but it's quite powdery. Not bad, but lacks complexity in terms of esters and phenols. I have brewed delicious, complex beers with this yeast and you could tell they were belgian.

K-97: almost clean yeast, soft, pairs well with hops, ferments slow and it's powdery, but makes good beer, even IPAs.

Danstar Abbaye: used it twice and I did not care for the beers it made. It " feels " belgian, but not in a good way. I have a local brewery that uses it for some beers and I can easily detect in their beers, what i did in mine: weird esters and phenols, with some subtle astringency+almost medicinal flavour, it does not pair well with ( lots of ) hops, abrasive mouthfeel. It seems the kind of yeast you want to use and age for some months.

Been pitching Wyeast 1272 quite a bit. Really like this one. Yesterday pitched Wyeast 1010 again, and it is a monster. Just picked up WL 090 for future pales. I have never used 090, has anyone here?

Been pitching Wyeast 1272 quite a bit. Really like this one. Yesterday pitched Wyeast 1010 again, and it is a monster. Just picked up WL 090 for future pales. I have never used 090, has anyone here?
I've used it to dry out stalled fermentation. Works great for that. I've never used it as primary yeast but could imagine some really good dry styles with it.

I have been using 1272 on most of my brews lately when I’m not doing lagers, hazy or other specialty beers. For 5.5 gal batches, first I make a 3 liter starter, pitch half, then propagate the other half as I go with 2 liter starters. I run it on 4 batches over about 10 weeks.

@thehaze: I assume you made a hefe with the Munich Classic? How'd the beer taste in terms of traditional German Hefes? I've been searching for a dry yeast to give me similar results to WLP300 - WB-06 left me with a slight tart/citrus note that I don't care for... I was thinking to bite the bullet and just go back to the 300 but if I can use a dry yeast I would rather.

The best luck I have had with yeast thus far is Nottingham. Notty has never let me down. Clean, quick and reliable. Drops out better than any other strain I have tried - even 34/70! Granted, I haven't tried every yeast out there - or even half for that matter. Regardless though, I can't believe how clear Notty can make a beer.

IMG_20180731_195701795.jpg

Nottingham cleares better than US-05 and given enough time, it will clear well. If you cold crash and use gelatine, then it will be crystal clear from the start.

I've used Munich Classic twice and will brew again with it tomorrow and again next month, for a Weizenbock with fruit additions, lactose and vanilla, just for kicks. The aroma and flavour profile - for a dry yeast - are very good. I usually ferment warm, as I like more banana, so the 2 hefes were banana heavy, but there is definitely enough clove to balance it out. The yeast also produces the common tartness found in hefes, has a nice, soft mouthfeel. There is also some other non-descript fruit, which I got in the flavour, but subdued. Overall, it is one of the best dry yeast out there, with a great and noticeable ester profile, which is important in an yeast driven beer.

WB-06 was never a Hefe yeast, although for far too long, it was presented as such. In fact, it is a diastaticus strain, which I've used once before I knew what it was. It made a crappy, overly sour, dry beer, and that was the last time I've touched it.

Back