Who do you cheer for?

Australia's hockey team appears not to have qualified for the tournament. I guess the Australian hockey team is kind of like the Jamaican Bobsled team...

World Junior Hockey Tourney kicked off yesterday. Of note Canada beats Germany 16-2, and the Young Americans beat Austria 11-0
Worth noting that Germany only dressed 14 skaters cause of Covid. Although my boy Cozens looked good.
Anyways....
USA! USA!
See you in the final

Worth noting that Germany only dressed 14 skaters cause of Covid. Although my boy Cozens looked good.
Anyways....
USA! USA!
See you in the final
Sweden has not lost a round robin game since 2006, we both need to watch for those blond headed bastards!

Speaking of who do you cheer for... Steelers come back from 24-7 at the half to win 28-24
20201227_161133.jpg

Anyways....
USA! USA!
See you in the final

I found out about that with German after the game. I was feeling really bad for those kids by the end of it. All of my buddies and I were basically urging Canada to stop scoring cause we looked like asses.

I found out about that with German after the game. I was feeling really bad for those kids by the end of it. All of my buddies and I were basically urging Canada to stop scoring cause we looked like asses.
I wasn't aware of the number of players Germany had. It has always been tough having the weaker teams in the tournament. It is a bit embarrassing when the stronger teams seem to be able to score at will, but it is tough for them too. In this tournament, you need to go for the jugular. You can't turn it on, and off, and back on again.

Oh I know the reality of it but it's uncomfortable to watch after a while.

I don't blame those kids honestly. Right or wrong scouts and analyst still put a lot of importance on World Juniors point totals. A good tournament has been known to really bump someone's draft stock. Sabres prospect Casey Mittlestadt despite a very average freshman season at Minnesota was brought right into the Sabres after that season and got to burn a whole year off his entry level contract to play 6 games. He just signed his 2nd contract a year earlier than he probably would have. Probably all due to his WJC performance when he probably should have gone back to school another year. This is money on the line for these kids. I'm not letting up for anything if I'm them.

I wasn't aware of the number of players Germany had. It has always been tough having the weaker teams in the tournament. It is a bit embarrassing when the stronger teams seem to be able to score at will, but it is tough for them too. In this tournament, you need to go for the jugular. You can't turn it on, and off, and back on again.
This too. IIRC Germany just came back up from the lower tournament in the last couple years (maybe when Kazakhstan went back down). I do feel bad for them but luckily for them since the IIHF cancelled all the lower tournaments this year there's no risk of relegation for them, they'll be back to avenge this loss

Oh I know they have to put on a show, but I do have that stereotypical Canadian sportsmanship attitude. Problem is anything that would have made it competitive for Germany would have also been condescending.

Hockey,hockey, hockey today!
World Junior (Under 20) Championships
Russia beats Germany today in what sounds like it was a close game.
Finland / Sweden midway through the first and no score yet. Shame one of these two great hockey nations will be out today!
Canada / Czech Republic going at 7:00pm EST
USA / Slovakia going at 10:30 pm EST

Hockey,hockey, hockey today!
World Junior (Under 20) Championships
Russia beats Germany today in what sounds like it was a close game.
Finland / Sweden midway through the first and no score yet. Shame one of these two great hockey nations will be out today!
Canada / Czech Republic going at 7:00pm EST
USA / Slovakia going at 10:30 pm EST
Should hopefully make it home for the 2nd period of the US game. Starting to get sick of this working every Saturday night crap

A shame that Canada and USA (if they both win) will meet in the semi final and not play for gold:(

Finland pulls out a win with a late goal feel bad for the kids from Sweden, such a rich history in this tournament. My first cousins are Finnish on their Moms side, so they will be happy

I have been telling my friends for a few years now, watch out for the US, they are an emerging hockey superpower. As the game grows in the US the talent improves by osmosis. Then you take the skill and add the American will and pride! They will be the team to beat in a decade or two...

Back