What's your next brew

Somehow, some way, I’ve got to throw down and get a porter done this week. I thought about it today but the motivation fizzled. Maybe tomorrow if i can repair the wilser bag and do a BIAB.
Thoughts on vanilla in a porter? How much ?

Last edited:
Somehow, some way, I’ve got to throw down a get a porter done this week. I thought about it today but the motivation fizzled. Maybe tomorrow if u can repair the wilser bag and do a BIAB.
Thoughts on vanilla in a porter? How much ?
Vanilla and Porter, yes. I like about 1 Tbsp of a good extract per gallon. YMMV.

Dunkel for me. I’ll make a double batch for me which is a normal batch for most you :) I’m not confident in getting 2 brews in over break. If I do not have keg space the temp is supposed to be super cold next weekend so my fermzilla will make a nice serving keg for what’s left. I’ll brew Monday and ferment in the cold garage. i should hit be over 50% attenuation by Saturday so I can bring it inside to let it finish then back in the garage. Will be racking onto all the yeast from my Helles so I’ll have plenty of yeast.

I'm brewing a lager, how about a Festbier, finally got this sheet correct I think lol

Ozarks Festbier_12.20.2022-1.png

Attachments

• Ozarks Festbier_12.20.2022.pdf
    128.4 KB · Views: 31
The golden ale is happily bubbling away and now I'm thinking about something dark. It could be a Czech dark lager using a pouch of Cablecar yeast in the fridge, or an American porter with some Chico slurry from the golden ale. Decisions, decisions! Also, I should be getting a Celebration IPA kit soon, which I'm pretty pumped about
I was going to do a batch of Shady Boh tomorrow, short on munich so instead I'm going to run a double batch of Shore Leave.

Work's been running me ragged last couple months, a little behind on my brewing.

Planning on bottling M47 / golden strongish tomorrow.
Depending on taste, I'll brew another one at either lower mash temperature or higher fermentation temp.
Or I'll brew the same recipe as my M47 Belgian pale ale at higher ferm temp
All depends on my taste buds and an unfinished beer :cool:

I'm doing a series of lagers. Dark now, red next, IPL last. Might seem backwards, but the IPL will be dry hopped and I don't want to reuse the yeast after that

Red lager will be Pilsner, Munich, Caramunich 3, first wort hopped with Spalt, and fermented with a repitch of Imperial Harvest

I'm doing a series of lagers. Dark now, red next, IPL last. Might seem backwards, but the IPL will be dry hopped and I don't want to reuse the yeast after that

Red lager will be Pilsner, Munich, Caramunich 3, first wort hopped with Spalt, and fermented with a repitch of Imperial Harvest
What do you think of Harvest? My favorite for German beers. Shame there isn’t a dry of it for warm weather when I can’t order liquid.

What do you think of Harvest? My favorite for German beers. Shame there isn’t a dry of it for warm weather when I can’t order liquid.
This is my first time using it. I tried to keep it under 60 for primary, but it crept up to 65. Luckily it's under pressure. Should be ready by next week

Brewday tomorrow! Trying out a red lager. I'll also be trying out recirculating the mash and whirpooling during cooling. I can't decide if I want to stick to the immersion chiller and recirculate the wort around it, or set up the plate chiller. I should probably change one variable at a time and stick to the immersion chiller
upload_2023-1-7_8-29-23.png

That looks like a beer I would really enjoy :D
Think that might be one of my next ones, with some adjustments (as usual) .

First wort hop means adding the hop as soon as you start heating afther the mash?

That looks like a beer I would really enjoy :D
Think that might be one of my next ones, with some adjustments (as usual) .

First wort hop means adding the hop as soon as you start heating afther the mash?
Yep. Add the hops once the grains are out and you're heating up to boil. Leave them in through the whole boil and cooling until you transfer to the fermenter

Yep. Add the hops once the grains are out and you're heating up to boil. Leave them in through the whole boil and cooling until you transfer to the fermenter
This works good for bittering hops where there's little flavor contribution other than bitterness. If you're using hops that have a target flavor rather than bitterness, you'll lose a lot of the flavoring if you boil them longer than recommended. Longer boiling leaves behind the Alpha Acids, but may evaporate the oils that give a particular flavoring hop it's character. This is one of the reasons that Warrior is really good for bittering. It has little other flavoring, unless used in large quantities, and may make a batch taste like grass clippings if too much is used with insufficient boil time. Warrior has something like 16 AA, so a little dab'll do ya. But, don't take my word for gospel. Some hops don't mind a long boil at all, and may actually get better. Kinda have to know the hops before using FWH. It is a VERY convenient method, though. No clock racing at all doing that. I think Ben (@Trialben) talked me into FWH on a batch. That takes a lot of the clock watching out of the picture, especially with a single hop recipe.

A few lager folks here...I'll throw a question at you. What are your thoughts on SafLager W-34/70? Later this winter I plan to brew a Schwarzbier and Festbier. Probably do a double-header the same day. If I'm going to tie up my ferm chamber a few months, might as well get two of them in there. :)

I'm not new to lager brewing, just never tried 34/70. It's the classic Weihenstephan strain. I like to go with dry, as I don't want to order liquid via mail. I suppose I could drive to Midwest, but that's across town and I don't get that way very often.

Anyway, if anyone has some general thoughts on the yeast, I'd appreciate hearing.

This works good for bittering hops where there's little flavor contribution other than bitterness. If you're using hops that have a target flavor rather than bitterness, you'll lose a lot of the flavoring if you boil them longer than recommended. Longer boiling leaves behind the Alpha Acids, but may evaporate the oils that give a particular flavoring hop its character. This is one of the reasons that Warrior is really good for bittering. It has little other flavoring, unless used in large quantities, and may make a batch taste like grass clippings if too much is used with insufficient boil time. Warrior has something like 16 AA, so a little dab'll do ya. But, don't take my word for gospel. Some hops don't mind a long boil at all, and may actually get better. Kinda have to know the hops before using FWH. It is a VERY convenient method, though. No clock racing at all doing that. I think Ben (@Trialben) talked me into FWH on a batch. That takes a lot of the clock watching out of the picture, especially with a single hop recipe.

I FWH and can tell more than it simply bittered…. It’s convenient but it does let the flavor come through imo.

Back