What's your next brew

I'm always thinking of "what to brew next" My next brew will be Ben's Aussie Ale using my new SS brewtech 5.5gal kettle.
Chuffed mate Chuffed is all I can say:).
Double up on the hops if you want more hop presence ;) it's more of a malt forward brew as is.
Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Next up for me is New Glarus Spotted Cow, but this one's using K-97. I'm assuming that's a Kviek variant? Certainly new to me. LHBS guy told me to try some different yeasts in the Spotted Cow for some adventures. I'd asked him his input about Kveik yeast on some previous visits, but all he could tell me is that he hadn't used it yet. Pretty sure I've always used Saf-05 on this recipe, or perhaps a liquid American ale yeast. But, I've slept a couple times since I brewed it last, so might as well call it a new batch for me. Extract with steeping grains, so pretty easy to do. Should be bottling my Rapier Wit this coming weekend, as well as a batch of Pear Wine, and will probably drop the Spotted Cow immediately following what looks to be a rather long bottling day. Also have a batch of Mango wine to transfer to secondary. Seems I can't get the work spread out enough to keep this a hobby rather than a full time job.

Looks like I got activity in my primitive starter, so added some apple juice.
Just 2 litres (total) in a 5 litre fermenter as last time kveik fermentation went wild.
Curious to see how this one will work out as temperatures have dropped

Next up for me is New Glarus Spotted Cow, but this one's using K-97. I'm assuming that's a Kviek variant?
Excellent choice of yeast, clean with a mild fruitiness to it above 60F. It's a German Ale yeast, not any version of Kviek. Watch out for very active fermentation. It's a top cropping yeast, meaning it likes to come to the top of the fermenter, this leads to blow outs and volcano fermentations. Give it plenty of room, you may need a blow off tube. It likes to plug airlocks. It stays in suspension longer than most yeasts, so it may take a while to clear.

At 60F and lower, this yeast resembles a lager. Even at higher temps it's very clean. Good luck and happy brewing!

Next up for me is New Glarus Spotted Cow, but this one's using K-97. I'm assuming that's a Kviek variant? Certainly new to me. LHBS guy told me to try some different yeasts in the Spotted Cow for some adventures.

I brewed a Spotted Cow using this recipe. It uses Wyeast - Kölsch 2565. The beer was great and very close to Spotted Cow. Let us know how it turns out with the K-97. Even though this recipe turned out great, I just can't resist tweaking a recipe. Plus I have some K-97.

Will do on the K-97. Probably going to be a few weeks, though. Thanks as well for the warnings. Dunno if it can get much more violent than the Saf-05 repitch did. I hope not, LOL. Since my temps will DEFINITELY be above 60, probably closer to 70, I'll keep the blow-off in mind. All I need to do is make one..... I wanna make one with clear plastic/glass vessel just so I can video the bubbles at peak ferment. Good also to know that K-97cleans itself up. Don't have any whirlfloc or moss, so pretty much up to nature and time to clear the beer.

Might bottle the Rapier Wit this evening if I get to feeling spunky. It has been inactive for the last couple days and looks to be settling out very nicely now.

Will do on the K-97. Probably going to be a few weeks, though. Thanks as well for the warnings. Dunno if it can get much more violent than the Saf-05 repitch did. I hope not, LOL. Since my temps will DEFINITELY be above 60, probably closer to 70, I'll keep the blow-off in mind. All I need to do is make one..... I wanna make one with clear plastic/glass vessel just so I can video the bubbles at peak ferment. Good also to know that K-97cleans itself up. Don't have any whirlfloc or moss, so pretty much up to nature and time to clear the beer.

Might bottle the Rapier Wit this evening if I get to feeling spunky. It has been inactive for the last couple days and looks to be settling out very nicely now.
K-97 won't clear anything soon. Easily over a month of conditioning has been my experience and it delivers a slightly tart finish in the beer which can be pleasant in some not in others.

Yup it's a true Top Cropper it'll foam right up on the krausen be carefull giving that one a full repitch warm :D.

I brewed a Spotted Cow using this recipe. It uses Wyeast - Kölsch 2565. The beer was great and very close to Spotted Cow. Let us know how it turns out with the K-97. Even though this recipe turned out great, I just can't resist tweaking a recipe. Plus I have some K-97.
Once thru maybe...twice thru recipe get tweaked for sure.

Once thru maybe...twice thru recipe get tweaked for sure.

After thinking about it I think I'll rebrew the same recipe. Just to make sure the first brew wasn't simply a stroke of luck. Then I can be reasonably confident that any changes to the final product are due to any tweaks I made.

Back