What's your next brew

Right as always @Sunfire96! :)

I actually did prefer bottling because I'm a cheap bastard. Bottling, which did take some time, was a few hours of me time that I wouldn't otherwise have. The only reason I'm switching to kegging now is physical limitations (sore wrists from carpal tunnel or similar). But to be honest, if money wasn't an issue I probably would have got into kegging years ago. ;)
We'll revisit this in a year...

So will that be you brew #100?
Naw that will be batch 104 I think. And then 105 is on friday. Haven't quite figured out what it will be just yet.

My number 1 seller is always the golden lager, but usually number 2 is the session ipa. This last weekend my amber lager and medium ipa moved to 2nd and 3rd.

I gotta brew the ipa first since it's probably gonna kick first and then I'm thinking a session amber lager. Same lightly smoked beer lager just reduced down from 6.1 abv down to 5 abv. I might crank it out with voss depending on timeframes...I'm also down to 5 bags of 2 row so gotta plan what I can get brewed before I place another order...busy week.

Last edited:
Right as always @Sunfire96! :)

I actually did prefer bottling because I'm a cheap bastard. Bottling, which did take some time, was a few hours of me time that I wouldn't otherwise have. The only reason I'm switching to kegging now is physical limitations (sore wrists from carpal tunnel or similar). But to be honest, if money wasn't an issue I probably would have got into kegging years ago. ;)
We might be related. LOL! I pinch Abe Lincoln till he squeals. Not really a “have to” thing anymore, just learned behavior from growing up so poor I couldn’t even pay attention.

We'll revisit this in a year...
I have been away, but here I am to say that I love the bottling process, and figure that I will always do it in some quantity. Some tedious processes can be quite rewarding. Like popping open a bottle of your own homebrew to hear the psst, then see the lift of bottle fog before the glug glug of pouring into a glass. It takes some work, but bottling can deliver very good beer. Somebody had to step up for bottling, so it might as well be me.

I'm actually playing around with a low ABV beer.
Targeting 2.5%
Maris Otter, Caramel 40 and Oats.
FWH and post boil hop additions only.
Clean, easy drinking chugger that isn't hop water!
Cheers
Brian
I brewed a 5 gallon test batch this morning and hit my target OG, so that's good.
I ended up using all Amarillo for this batch.
Cheers

I have been away, but here I am to say that I love the bottling process, and figure that I will always do it in some quantity. Some tedious processes can be quite rewarding. Like popping open a bottle of your own homebrew to hear the psst, then see the lift of bottle fog before the glug glug of pouring into a glass. It takes some work, but bottling can deliver very good beer. Somebody had to step up for bottling, so it might as well be me.
Can't argue with that!

Bottling is not a lost art just a time consuming one. I will on occasion, botlle beers, ciders etc. mostly when I want to compare bottle vs keg tasting. I now use 32oz PET bottles so the process is tolerable.;)
They are my preferred size atm. But I have a variety of bottles and kegs and like to compare also.

Got a first cheapskate attempt at a Chianti just gone in the fermenter. But my next beer is scheduled to be a British Golden Ale that I had a few self created problems with last time. So it is on my mind.

I have a decent 20 case collection (dozens) of John Sleeman clear glass bottles.
These are the thick "returnable" type. I can use them to pasteurize without too
much fear of explosion (only had 1 bottle ever burst in the water bath).
Just be sure to cover them so you don't get skunking from light beating on them.

Now that my friend has gotten her brewing equipment we are trying to decide on our next (and first using her BZ gen 4) brew. She really liked the vanilla porter I made recently so we may do that again but she also liked the Rye Kolsch I made as well. Really glad to have someone to brew with in person and to share knowledge with.

I've got a bit of a kooky recipe on the docket for tomorrow, an earl Grey cream porter. I have this beautiful earl grey creme tea with orange peel and cornflower that I've been wanting to use in a beer for years. Also it'll be my first time adding lactose. I'm hoping for a subtle sweetness to balance any tannins extracted from the black tea

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1462773/earl-grey-cream-porter-2024
Screenshot_20240324-133444_Gallery.jpg

Back