What's your next brew

I've been craving a semi-dry, lower alcohol cider. The grocery store had apple juice on sale (pasteurized with ascorbic acid). I bought 3 gallons and I'll dilute with some water to lower the original gravity. I've got some kveik yeast in a brew that I'll save and reuse for the cider. Throw in some yeast nutrient and calcium chloride and see what happens!

Should have the brewery upgrade ready Friday night, think I’m going to double up Saturday with my Irish Red and a Dry Irish Stout. The redesign should make multiple brews to be in progress simultaneously (ish).

First time out with the upgraded brewery and you're doing a double brew day? Wow, that is definitely jumping in the deep end Tim! I hope all goes well.

Whole Lotta Rosie

Wee Heavy

Partial Mash

BrewZilla 35L

62% efficiency
Batch Volume: 18 L
Boil Time: 120 min
Mash Water: 26.14 L
Total Water: 26.14 L
Boil Volume: 23.31 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.072

Vitals​

Original Gravity: 1.082
Final Gravity: 1.021
IBU (Tinseth): 27
BU/GU: 0.33
Color: 17.5 SRM

Mash​

Strike Temp — 69.6 °C
Mash Temp — 67 °C90 min

Malts (3.63 kg)

3.4 kg (57.6%) — Crisp Maris Otter — Grain — 3.5 °L — Mash — 90 min
80 g
(1.4%) — Weyermann Caraaroma — Grain — 132 °L
80 g (1.4%) — Crisp Crystal Extra Dark — Grain — 89.1 °L
70 g (1.2%) — Bairds Roasted Barley — Grain — 443.5 °L

Other (2.27 kg)

2.27 kg (38.5%) — Extra Light Dry Extract — Dry Extract — 2.8 °L

Hops (84 g)

28 g (16 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 70 min
28 g
(10 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Boil — 20 min
28 g
(1 IBU) — East Kent Goldings (EKG) 5% — Aroma — 10 min hopstand

Hopstand at 80 °C
Whirlpool/Hopstand Time: 20 min

Miscs​

1.013 g — Baking Soda (NaHCO3) — Mash
5.063 g
— Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash
1.013 g
— Canning Salt (NaCl) — Mash
1.013 g
— Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash
5.063 g
— Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash

Yeast​

2 pkg — Fermentis S-04 SafAle English Ale 75%

Fermentation​

Primary — 18 °C6 days
Ramp to 20 — 19 °C2 days
Ramp to 22 — 20 °C3 days
Cold Crash — 2 °C5 days
Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

Water Profile​

Ca2+
98Mg2+
4Na+
34Cl-
119SO42-
123HCO3-
draw off 2 gallons of wort, boil separately then add back into kettle

draw off 2 gallons of wort, boil separately then add back into kettle
Adding back during mash or at boil? Curious why you would boil some of it separately during boil. ???? Did I miss something? Isn't that a decoction mash when you boil part of the wort and add it back into the mash? And is that to help raise the OG? That sounds like a lotta salts you're putting in for water correction.

Whatever the procedure, that sounds like a WICKED good wee heavy. Got a lotta my favorites in it for ingredients. Good luck with it.

Adding back during mash or at boil? Curious why you would boil some of it separately during boil. ???? Did I miss something? Isn't that a decoction mash when you boil part of the wort and add it back into the mash? And is that to help raise the OG? That sounds like a lotta salts you're putting in for water correction.

Whatever the procedure, that sounds like a WICKED good wee heavy. Got a lotta my favorites in it for ingredients. Good luck with it.
No this is to boil 2 gallons separately, while boiling the main wort.

@RoadRoach, the goal is to mimic a very long boil by boiling a small amount of wort separately. As the volume reduces the sugars caramelize. I would describe the resulting flavor as caramel/butterscotch. I take a gallon of the first runnings and boil it until it's down to about 1/4-1/3 of that. Then add it back into the main boil at the end.

@RoadRoach, the goal is to mimic a very long boil by boiling a small amount of wort separately. As the volume reduces the sugars caramelize. I would describe the resulting flavor as caramel/butterscotch. I take a gallon of the first runnings and boil it until it's down to about 1/4-1/3 of that. Then add it back into the main boil at the end.
Ahhhhh, so a sneaky way to get the reduction and tweak the flavor then. But, if I have a 5 gallon batch, and take out 2 gallons to reduce, I'm only left with 3 gallons to boil, which is also going to reduce almost as quickly as 2 gallons. But you're probably going to boil two or three gallons a lot quicker than you will 5. I'm just not sure the evaporation rate would be much higher other than the fact you'd have possibly twice the surface area to allow water vapor to escape. Might have to try this idea on one of my next browns or stouts. Doesn't prolonged boiling also affect yeast efficiency by affecting sugar compounding? Thought I read that somewhere. It would certainly affect hops flavors leaving nothing but the bittering.

The grocery store had apple juice on sale (pasteurized with ascorbic acid).
Just started a "malted" cider yesterday as well...also using a kveik yeast (Lutra).
21 liters of "SunRype" apple juice + 4 liters of 2 row wort.
Mashed 2 lbs 2 row at 148 for around 40 min, then at 158 for 40 more (BIAB).
Brought the wort to a boil then added...
10 oz ginger root (peeled and shredded)
4 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise (lightly crushed)
1 clove
Unknown amount of dark demerara sugar

Ended with a SG of 1.056

Divided it into 2-23L carboys, and will rack it into 1 carboy after primary is done.
Kveik took off like a shot! Don't how well the malt, ginger, and spice will carry through,
(don't care either...I just wanted something to drink), but the whole place has a wonderful
apple scent now. Just a spur of the moment "wing it" type of thing, with ingredients
readily available at the time.

Last edited:
Just started a "malted" cider yesterday as well...also using a kveik yeast (Lutra).
21 liters of "SunRype" apple juice + 4 liters of 2 row wort.
Mashed at 148 for around 40 min, then at 158 for 40 more (BIAB).
Brought the wort to a boil then added...
10 oz Ginger Root (peeled and shredded)
4 cinnamon sticks
3 star anise (lightly crushed)
1 clove

Divided it into 2-23L carboys, and will rack it into 1 carboy after primary is done.
Kveik took off like a shot! Don't how well the malt, ginger, and spice will carry through,
(don't care either...I just wanted something to drink), but the whole place has a wonderful
apple scent now.
Sounds interesting! I believe a cider with beer wort is called graf. Lutra is the only kveik yeast I use, it's gives less "twang" in my experience. Keep us posted how it turns out

Sounds interesting! I believe a cider with beer wort is called graf. Lutra is the only kveik yeast I use, it's gives less "twang" in my experience. Keep us posted how it turns out
Thanks......will do!

Ahhhhh, so a sneaky way to get the reduction and tweak the flavor then. But, if I have a 5 gallon batch, and take out 2 gallons to reduce, I'm only left with 3 gallons to boil, which is also going to reduce almost as quickly as 2 gallons. But you're probably going to boil two or three gallons a lot quicker than you will 5. I'm just not sure the evaporation rate would be much higher other than the fact you'd have possibly twice the surface area to allow water vapor to escape. Might have to try this idea on one of my next browns or stouts. Doesn't prolonged boiling also affect yeast efficiency by affecting sugar compounding? Thought I read that somewhere. It would certainly affect hops flavors leaving nothing but the bittering.
The wort boiled separately won't have any hops added it to it.
The main boil is 120 minutes, first hop addition is at 70
I am not so concerned about reaching a particular volume on this.
Planning to put a couple liters into a PET Pepsi type bottle to get an early sample, but will be bottling the rest, and forgetting about it until fall/winter.

I only take 1 gallon out of a 7 gallon pre-boil volume. Plus it is taken from the first runnings so the gravity will be higher. I think the caramelizing is more pronounced after the wort is reduced to a light syrupy consistency. Boiling 2 gallons would take too long; at least for me. The main boil would be done long before the reduction was complete.

I only take 1 gallon out of a 7 gallon pre-boil volume. Plus it is taken from the first runnings so the gravity will be higher. I think the caramelizing is more pronounced after the wort is reduced to a light syrupy consistency. Boiling 2 gallons would take too long; at least for me. The main boil would be done long before the reduction was complete.
I will take that as good advice, one gallon of first runnings it shall be!
No sparging happening with this one, adding, IIRC 5lbs DME

Back