What are you drinking right now?

image.jpg
After the longest 2 days of my life, my wife and I arrived at our new home in Eugene, Oregon late this afternoon. While eating a local delivery pizza, I’m drinking BJ’s Piranha Pale Ale.
Cheers all!

View attachment 21940 After the longest 2 days of my life, my wife and I arrived at our new home in Eugene, Oregon late this afternoon. While eating a local delivery pizza, I’m drinking BJ’s Piranha Pale Ale.
Cheers all!
Congrats on the new home! YOu had been hunting for some time if I remember right?

I'm drinking (at 8:30 in the morning - forgive me!) another pour of my Munich Dunkel! I had to take some tasting notes - a near first for in such depth anyway... Hard not to have another though! Luckily it was in an 8 oz glass. I'm honestly in love with this beer - maybe it's because I spent so much time brewing it! lol - or maybe its because I'm giving so much of it away (my dad's oktoberfest party).
IMG_20220819_165623.jpg
Here's the tasting notes:
Nice off-white/tan head that laces but dissipates within 5 minutes but leaves little rafts of head. Melanoidin dominates with a nice bready/toffee flavor and slight sweetness. Hops are present but not overpowering. Certainly malt forward with a spiciness (similar to tettnanger) that plays with the malt flavors and remains in the aftertaste along with the toffee. Beautifully clear with copper color dominating and hints of red on the outside. I'm not sure how it holds up as a Munich Dunkel vs a Marzen... Or if I'd even put it in the realm of either. I adore this beer though and think it came out fantastic!

The dissipated head (and rafts) - anyone else ever seen this? I know I have before but not exactly where. What causes it? Proteins?
IMG_20220815_173328.jpg

View attachment 21940 After the longest 2 days of my life, my wife and I arrived at our new home in Eugene, Oregon late this afternoon. While eating a local delivery pizza, I’m drinking BJ’s Piranha Pale Ale.
Cheers all!
Congrats Herm! Moving just sucks but you're home now.

Double post.....

Yessir, spending the night in Huntsville.

Brewed on Clinton Ave if you're familiar with the town.

Growin' up, I always thought people from Huntsville were Yankees. I had never been any farther north than Tuscaloosa until I turned 18, and went to my roommate's home for a weekend. I grew up in LA (Lower Alabama), so far out in the sticks we pumped in sunshine and pumped out moonshine. The directions to my home included the words "Turn off the paved road" (a mile of dirt road). The "paved" road was actually a culmination of about 50 years of patching some old tar and slag that was probably laid down by some county jail residents, and that was 50 years ago (meaning the road is now nearly 100 years of patching). Rough isn't the word. The World is flat, and I can prove it. I could see over the edge from our house. I grew up so poor I couldn't even pay attention. No exaggeration on this, though, it was 26 miles one way to get to school by car, nearly 45 by bus. I rode the bus. Needless to say, I realized education was my way outta there, and was slapping my knees out of my face when I left. Now, I'd give my eye teeth for a place just like it. Go figger.

I know a little about Huntsvegas, but not much, other than I've done a lot of work in industry in and around it. Never was much of a bar-fly or partier, so don't know much about the night life or restaurant scene there. With craft beer brewing expanding the way it is, though, that might change. I still keep in touch with my old college roomie (he's 3 days older than me) and occasionally ride up there to a gun show or something that he has going on. If you're ever down Birmingham way, there are several micro breweries to try out in our area (north Shelby County). Oak Mountain Brewing, Oversoul, Siluria Brewing Co. Beer Hog, just to name a few, and seems more springing up pretty rapidly. Lemme know if/when you'll be here, and I'll make a point to meet up with you somewhere and we'll lift a glass to something.

Drinking my Pineapple SMaTH. Really good but pineapple aroma fading rapidly. Probably due to oxidation during bottling. Little overcarbonated because I cut short the transfer to bottling bucket when I started transferring too much hops. I dry hopped with 6 ounces of El Dorado and BRU-1.

Pineapple SMaTH.jpg

Back