What are you drinking right now?

Porter
The never ending quest for the “house” Porter finally takes a turn towards the promising. This one, based loosely on a Fuller’s London Porter clone recipe that I found, gets me closer to what I’m after than I have ever been. Jacked the Crystal malt far out of my comfort zone and leaned heavy on Brown malt for flavor, this is a whisker away from that mythical English Porter that I’m after. The main fault was the choice of 500L chocolate malt for color, which, despite the small percentage, gives a bit too much Stout-like roastiness. I think I can fix that easy enough. Northern Brewer working out well as a finishing hops. WY1968 a solid, if unspectacular, choice as yeast. Probably my best Porter to date, but not quite all the way there.

View attachment 18989
Some maybe lite choc malt from different maltster.
I remember watching a you tube comparrison video on different roasted maltsters and there were some stark differences.

Here it is if you wanna check it out

Some maybe lite choc malt from different maltster.
I remember watching a you tube comparrison video on different roasted maltsters and there were some stark differences.

Here it is if you wanna check it out
Thanks for the video! Yes…Pale Chocolate (200L) in for the 500L Chocolate was my next move. I’ll need a bit more obviously, but I should be able to make it work. The one guy in the video wasn’t afraid to push the Pale Chocolate %, so I might take him up on that. In a few months, I’ll make this Porter again and see if I finally get it resolved.

Thanks for the video! Yes…Pale Chocolate (200L) in for the 500L Chocolate was my next move. I’ll need a bit more obviously, but I should be able to make it work. The one guy in the video wasn’t afraid to push the Pale Chocolate %, so I might take him up on that. In a few months, I’ll make this Porter again and see if I finally get it resolved.
Yeah they brew commercial as well the bloke on the left ain't on there no more which sux they can rabble on a bit sometimes but it seems they know there Stuff.

Having a much earned Pilsner tonight this is great after a hot day of yard work! Next run I'll dial this back to a.more crushable %.
20220115_192250.jpg

Spaten Optimator

Meh…maybe it’s a freshness thing, but this tastes like Coca Cola with a black licorice finish. Pass.

View attachment 18996

I've only had this one on draft at a local beer garden and each one has tasted great. Tasted nothing like what you describe. Maybe an old or poorly treated bottle?

I've only had this one on draft at a local beer garden and each one has tasted great. Tasted nothing like what you describe. Maybe an old or poorly treated bottle?
I’m thinking a mistreated bottle is surely to blame. This particular bottle came from my brother’s garage where it may have been residing comfortably for who knows how long. I mean, this beer was just not good. No head, no lacing, an incredible resemblance to Coke. I’m not one to dump a glass of beer, but down the drain this one went soon after the picture.

I’m thinking a mistreated bottle is surely to blame. This particular bottle came from my brother’s garage where it may have been residing comfortably for who knows how long. I mean, this beer was just not good. No head, no lacing, an incredible resemblance to Coke. I’m not one to dump a glass of beer, but down the drain this one went soon after the picture.
I bet that is the case. Optimator (say it with a Schwarzenegger accent :cool:) is one of my all-time favorites.

Back