What are you drinking right now?

Kviek Smash.jpg

My Kviek SMaSH with Maris Otter and El Dorado. Last time I used Omega OYL-091 Hornindahl. This time I used Imperial A44 Kvieking. I like them both but, prefer the aromatics from the Hornindahl. The Kvieking is supposed to throw lots of pineapple aroma but I really don't detect much. Tastes really good though! I fermented about 95° F (35° C) and dry hopped 5 days before cold crashing for 2 days.

Edit: I actually used White Labs WLP521 because LHBS was out of Omega OYL-091

Last edited:
View attachment 16961

My Kviek SMaSH with Maris Otter and El Dorado. Last time I used Omega OYL-091 Hornindahl. This time I used Imperial A44 Kvieking. I like them both but, prefer the aromatics from the Hornindahl. The Kvieking is supposed to throw lots of pineapple aroma but I really don't detect much. Tastes really good though! I fermented about 95° F (35° C) and dry hopped 5 days before cold crashing for 2 days.
Looks quite tasty.

View attachment 16961

Sounds like it tastes great, nice combo on the grist, hops, and yeast!

It has been a long time since I posted something that I made. This is just a QC sample as it was brewed for this Wednesday's AA (Alcohol Abundance) 15th Anniversary Extravavganza!.
With 30% flaked, pretty much a pound of hops, approximately 5.8%, and roughly 40 IBU's, this is passing inspection. Iam expecting some significant lacing from this one!
View attachment 16954
Wow I love how brite and vibrant that beer looks. Looks fantastic to me and hoppy as hell!

View attachment 16961

Nice looking brew Larry!
Mind sharing the hop rates, times, and amounts?

Wow I love how brite and vibrant that beer looks. Looks fantastic to me and hoppy as hell!
Thanks buddy!
The bitterness is subtle, hop flavor and aroma are off the charts!
That is what a pound (450g) of hops gets ya!
No boil hops
6oz (174g) whirlpool for 20 min @ 82C
First dry addition at high krausen 3oz (84g)
Second dry addition 24 hours later 4.5oz (126g)
BU/GU = 0.66

Nice looking brew Larry!
Mind sharing the hop rates, times, and amounts?

In checking my notes I see that the prior brew actually used White Labs WLP521 because LHBS was out of Omega OYL-091 Hornindal. Next time I brew this one I'll try the Omega yeast and see which of the three I prefer.

7.75 oz hops totaling 40 IBU and a BU/GU of 0.75
0.5 oz @ 60
0.75 oz @ 15
1.0 oz @ 5
1.5 oz @ Flameout
4.0 oz Dry Hop (Day 9. Cold crashed to 34° F (1° C) on day 14)

In checking my notes I see that the prior brew actually used White Labs WLP521 because LHBS was out of Omega OYL-091 Hornindal. Next time I brew this one I'll try the Omega yeast and see which of the three I prefer.

7.75 oz hops totaling 40 IBU and a BU/GU of 0.75
0.5 oz @ 60
0.75 oz @ 15
1.0 oz @ 5
1.5 oz @ Flameout
4.0 oz Dry Hop (Day 9. Cold crashed to 34° F (1° C) on day 14)
Hornindal I can vouch for a juicy yeast.

Well got my judging sheets back from the comp I entered Problem Child in, got absolutely hammnered on style points. Halfway through one right now...I will be making no changes(except possibly classify it differently).
Shady turned out awesome for me. I cannot imagine how good the beer brewed by the guy who developed the recipe tastes like. I imagine this brew was the same. Keep on keeping on!

Last edited:

Back