What are you drinking right now?

Susquehanna Brewing - So Wheat
And a ballgame!! :)

Megary: “Is this heaven?”
My wife: “It’s Scranton.”
Megary: “I could have sworn this was heaven.”

85ECFA2F-B7EB-4BFD-80CF-90BDFEFE4DFF.jpeg

I opened the first bottle of my latest batch of Herm’s Amber Ale, this time fermented with Voss instead of US-05. This is a little different, but I still like it. It seems the Voss gives a citrus twang, and the hops are a little less prominent. Next batch, I will ferment with US-05 again, but I might try Kveik later in the summer, which is not that far away.
I was close to dumping this batch, but now I’m glad that I hung in there. Thanks to those of you who talked me into seeing this beer through. It doesn’t seem like my best beer, but I’ve had worse.

I opened the first bottle of my latest batch of Herm’s Amber Ale, this time fermented with Voss instead of US-05. This is a little different, but I still like it. It seems the Voss gives a citrus twang, and the hops are a little less prominent. Next batch, I will ferment with US-05 again, but I might try Kveik later in the summer, which is not that far away.
I was close to dumping this batch, but now I’m glad that I hung in there. Thanks to those of you who talked me into seeing this beer through. It doesn’t seem like my best beer, but I’ve had worse.
It definitely gives a "citrus twang", great descriptor! It definitely needs to be in the right beer!
Glad this worked out for you bud!

It definitely gives a "citrus twang", great descriptor! It definitely needs to be in the right beer!
Glad this worked out for you bud!
Hmmm, maybe a Voss in the Rapier Wit. It's SUPPOSED to be citrus, but often the orange peel doesn't quite put that little bitey citrus feel in the mouth. Too mild. I tweaked it with a touch of lemon one time, and that was FANTASTIC.

Hmmm, maybe a Voss in the Rapier Wit. It's SUPPOSED to be citrus, but often the orange peel doesn't quite put that little bitey citrus feel in the mouth. Too mild. I tweaked it with a touch of lemon one time, and that was FANTASTIC.
I can neither confirm, nor deny. I don't actually know what a Rapier Wit is

My "First Whack" IPA carbed up and it's pretty good! Bitterness is probably more like a pale ale, but there's a big tropical and piney nose and pretty balanced taste. I do not miss the crystal malt lol it would greatly benefit from a dry hop addition, but I don't like adding hops to my small fermenter. I wish it was drier, maybe more gypsum next time. Cheers!
20210515_132604.jpg

I can neither confirm, nor deny. I don't actually know what a Rapier Wit is
Belgian Wheat with a bit of orange peel and coriander. I think I put the recipe on here. If not, I will soon. The boil is little more than getting the bitters from the hops. I dump the LME straight into the fermenter bucket, dissolve the candi sugar in the hops boil, then pour that into the LME right after flame-out. Top up with clean water, chill it down to 67 or so, pitch, and put a hat on it. Stoopid easy to do, and my go-to porch sipper. Extract version has no grains at all. I've done an all-grain version just for comparison. It's a LOT more trouble for no noticeable difference. Pretty excited to taste this one, though, because it'll be the first one that I pitched at something between .75 and 1.0. The extract version can be brewed up and in the fermenter with everything cleaned up and put away inside 4 hours. This includes the time to go out to the storage shed and get the burner. If you've ever had Blue Moon, RW is a knock-off. I want to try it with tangerine peel instead of orange. Got one with the orange peel bubblin' away downstairs right now. Need to get my next one brewed tomorrow and give the 2nd fermenter something to do. May bottle the RW Monday or Tuesday, and make another batch with the slurry from this one without chilling the yeastie beasties. I did a starter for this batch, though, and it's still pushing krausen up into the air-lock a week later. Musta got that yeast REALLY excited. I'll decant the slurry as best possible, and then pour in some fresh wort to give it a wake-up call before I put it in the fermenter.

One of my last Shady Bohs :(

Either my swing top bottles are slowly leaking pressure or I'm bad at closing swing tops properly. Sucks either way, will be avoiding these bottles in the future
20210515_184008.jpg

Last edited:
One of my last Shady Bohs :(

Either my swing top bottles are slowly leaking pressure or I'm bad at closing swing tips properly. Sucks either way, will be avoiding these bottles in the future
View attachment 15775
Last weekend, my wife and I bottled our second batch of cider, using swing top bottles. Today we discovered one of those bottles was bubbling, then noticed that bottle was broken at the swing. This is only the second time the bottle has been filled. Unfortunately, this bottle will be thrown away.
image.jpg

Back