What are you drinking right now?

A double shot of Russel's Reserve and my Lost & Found Pale Ale. This keg blew foam about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I didn't get around to cleaning kegs and lines until Thursday. Went to lift the keg out of my keezer and discovered it was still half full, thus the name. The floating dip tube had rolled over for some reason. Rather than mess with it, I struck in a solid dip tube and put it back on gas.

Nightcap .jpg

Bourbon Chocolate Porter
The base beer is really nice and the bourbon adds a great winter touch. But...I continue to struggle getting chocolate out of cacao nibs. This is my third try with them: once in primary, once as a late boil addition and more in primary, and finally as a bourbon/nibs tincture at kegging. All 3 attempts have added some chocolate - if you squint - but not what I was hoping for. Maybe I’m not using enough, maybe nibs are not the right vehicle for my process, maybe, maybe....

Anyway, still very enjoyable. I’ll call it a Bourbon (chocolate) Porter.

View attachment 14253
Weyermann carrafa 1 has given me some chocolate notes in a beer.
I'm the same nibs are a bit to subtle in vast batches I've had.

Bourbon Chocolate Porter
The base beer is really nice and the bourbon adds a great winter touch. But...I continue to struggle getting chocolate out of cacao nibs. This is my third try with them: once in primary, once as a late boil addition and more in primary, and finally as a bourbon/nibs tincture at kegging. All 3 attempts have added some chocolate - if you squint - but not what I was hoping for. Maybe I’m not using enough, maybe nibs are not the right vehicle for my process, maybe, maybe....

Anyway, still very enjoyable. I’ll call it a Bourbon (chocolate) Porter.

View attachment 14253
I have heard that some vanilla will help the chocolate flavor come out. How look did you soak your Nibs (sorry if that is getting too personal)

A double shot of Russel's Reserve and my Lost & Found Pale Ale. This keg blew foam about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I didn't get around to cleaning kegs and lines until Thursday. Went to lift the keg out of my keezer and discovered it was still half full, thus the name. The floating dip tube had rolled over for some reason. Rather than mess with it, I struck in a solid dip tube and put it back on gas.

View attachment 14255
Tasty meds!

How did you soak your Nibs (sorry if that is getting too personal)

You are starting to concern me. :p

what are you doing with home brew today

I considered vanilla and even spent a fun evening testing different amounts of the Bourbon/Cacao nibs tincture with different amounts of vanilla on some store bought Porter. In the end I found the vanilla, while nice, was doing more to take away the Bourbon flavor then it was enhancing the chocolate. But I really don’t think the vanilla was the problem. I just don’t think the nibs ever gave much chocolate to begin with...nothing for the vanilla to help stand up. Next time I want chocolate, I’ll try another method, or a combination of methods.

Back home and enjoying some Wayner-s Pale boy it's good to be greeted with this beer on tap at home!
I've fronted alot of bars over the last few days had my fill of quality swill and some pathetic offerings of mass produced drain-cleaner.
But this is a bloody ripper mate!
20210215_181011.jpg

I was paying $9.50/ Schooner the other day for beer not half as good as this.:)

Back