What are you drinking right now?

My Cherrywood Smoked Stout. The smoke was a bit harsh at first, but it's mellowing nicely.

Stout.jpg

Looks nice Ben.
For the benefit of the americans, boxing day is, loosely, an old british tradition where people would pack up their kids old toys and other things in boxes and put them outside for the less fortunate to help themselves to. It is a stat holiday here in Canada too, but what boxing day has become here is retailers selling their wares they have left over from Chistmas at super discounted prices. It use to be boxing day sales , then boxing week sales, now they have pre boxing day sales in the days leading up to Christmas.
Yep we spend big on boxing day here in Aus too I remember hearing of people getting stampeded here in Aus when they opened the doors down Sydney on a pre Christmas sale. ITS Madness!

Last edited:
Switched to my Cream of 3 Crops. A bit higher ABV than planned. Got better BHE than planned and it also attenuated better than expected. Ended up at 5.9%. Still light and refreshing. A real Winter Cream Ale :)

Cream Ale.jpg

My Cherrywood Smoked Stout. The smoke was a bit harsh at first, but it's mellowing nicely.

View attachment 8305
That looks and sounds delicious and interesting. Love stouts and porters, especially this time of year, but I’ve brewed them in summer months as well. Is it a shareable recipe and would you make any tweaks?

That looks and sounds delicious and interesting. Love stouts and porters, especially this time of year, but I’ve brewed them in summer months as well. Is it a shareable recipe and would you make any tweaks?

Liked my first iteration better. Recipe for this one below. Just add 1# of Flaked Barley and subtract 1# of Cherrywood Smoked Malt for the first iteration.

Attachments

• Stout.pdf
    236.4 KB · Views: 81
Liked my first iteration better. Recipe for this one below. Just add 1# of Flaked Barley and subtract 1# of Cherrywood Smoked Malt for the first iteration.
Thanks for that Bob. Last time I ordered from MoreBeer I picked up some of that Cherrywood Smoked Malt. Not sure why exactly. Must have been an impulse buy at the checkout counter. :oops:
Anyway, I was thinking of using some in a Brown Ale, and now I have a better idea on the percentage to use.

For my first brew of 2020 I plan on taking a break from making my Porters and Stouts. They are definitely my favorites, but it’s time to cleanse the pallet with an American Wheat. So for research purposes, I picked up a 6 of Bells Oberon Ale. (Note the limited “Sunset” edition label).

Hmm. It’s a fine beer but a wee bit too spicy/hoppy aggressive for my idea of an American Wheat. A beer that I could certainly enjoy, but not a beer that I could session. If that makes sense.
D427268B-D6F0-412F-9836-EE2DC5C7938C.jpeg

Slightly Sober with this ridiculous head my middle tap ain't pouring right but this ones got some good retention as well but it's over exaggerated.
20191228_132747.jpg

The nose is lemon zesty then fruity flavour not quite as fruity as aroma then finishes dank piney. It's not to bad but want more tropical fruit than dank recon some mosaic simcoe pairings with this grist and yeast will be brewing next. Cheers all happy holidays.

Back