What are you doing with homebrew today?

I worked on this for 4 days in my spare time, I wrote the Arduino script 5 or 6 years ago and all apps updated so much it was unusable, good thing the internet has all the answers I needed lol, back in business

https://snapshots.raintank.io/dashboard/snapshot/6aQ6ZUPRhjjE6rU2lJ4JfTay8HB30az1

to give you an idea how this works, I have a esp32, I forked someone's code to send udp signals from temp probes connected to the esp32 to a influxdb databases then Grafana reads the data and gives a graphical interface, both are installed on a local ubuntu server
You know you're a nerd when you understand every word.

Forked. Udp. Grafana. Ubuntu.

I bought a 7/8 box end wrench and disassembled my Corny keg. Even though the keg is used, it has new o-rings and gaskets, and is shiny and clean inside.
In the meantime, I am monitoring the fermentation of Red Wheat for Winter, which has been chugging along, bubbling the airlock for the past few days. This brew will be the first of mine to go in the keg.
My recently bottled Smooth Stout is coming along, if the PET bottle that I filled is any indication. I might give this a try on the upcoming weekend.
Herm, when you use that thing for the first time, make sure all the connections are good. Connect everything one by one, listen for CO2, and use your Star San bottle to check for bubbles. That little plastic piece on the regulator is very important too. The easiest method to carb is set and forget. Lots of videos online to the contrary caused me some headaches. Kegging is much easier than bottling once you get the hang of it.
Set your seal by lifting up on the top before clamping it down. Once sealed, slowly get your PSI up to about 30 to get the seal totally set. Turn off the regulator, and when it falls to around 12 the next day, turn it back on again, set it to about 12 and leave it alone for about a week.
Things I have learned that took some time.
I'm picking my stuff up on Sunday for a Dubbel. Hopefully, the weather cooperates the following weekend.

I am brewing what I call a Turn and Burn beer today. My brother-in-law wanted to buy me ingredients for a brew for my birthday at the end of the month. As the timing is a bit off, I decided to try a recipe from Gordon Strong's Modern Homebrew Recipes, a book I got for Christmas from my loving wife. I am pretty stoked to try this recipe today and can't wait to see how this goes as it could be a go to in the future. Updates will come later today. Stay tuned as this is my first All Grain brew by myself without an "experienced" brewer in the brewhouse, aka my garage. And I might create a sign for my imaginary brewing company, Deadbraid Brewing while waiting for Mash and Boil. Who knows
1000001739.jpg
1000001741.jpg

Last edited:
As a christmas present, I got myself a brewzilla during the black friday sale. Over xmas and NYE weekends I broked down all my kegs, pressure tested them all, setup my keezer and cable managed all the tubing lines. Then brewed a simple english bitter in the brewzilla that is fermenting and being spunded, capturing the c02 into the 5 empty kegs I have now which I'll use to serving using a couple in line regulators that are set to 12 psi.

Wife still hates the smell of brewing lol, she wants me to get a steam condensor but I don't think that will help with the smell during mashing at all. In the spring we'll be doing a covered/plexi enclosed patio addition so I'll be moving to brew out there once completed anyways...
With the glass lid on, a fan in the window, and the brewery door closed the smell of the mash in the rest of the house is barely noticeable most of the time.
1704391056888.png

I got 1 empty 8 litre oxebar keg and a cider and low alcohol (maybe) ipa ready to keg.
So wondering what to do:
Keg one, bottle the other
Keg one, leave the other in the fermenter
Drink one of the ready kegs and keg both :)

@Craigerrr
I do the same with left over. I have 500 ml, 1 litre and a 2 litre pet bottle for this.
I fill, then squeeze the bottle till beer comes to the rim and then close
Then put on CO2 or just leave it if I added sugar for natural carbonation

@Craigerrr
I do the same with left over. I have 500 ml, 1 litre and a 2 litre pet bottle for this.
I fill, then squeeze the bottle till beer comes to the rim and then close
Then put on CO2 or just leave it if I added sugar for natural carbonation
In my case after spunding it was already carbonated, so I just xferred and hooked it up to a tap in my keg fridge ;)

Yesterday was brew day but decided against fighting the below frez temperatures and high winds. Looks like it will be about a month before I’ll be able to brew again. I’m stocked up well and purposely not drinking as much this month so I’ll deal with it. Skipping the Mild as my next brew as it will be time for Irish stout.

Yesterday was brew day but decided against fighting the below frez temperatures and high winds. Looks like it will be about a month before I’ll be able to brew again. I’m stocked up well and purposely not drinking as much this month so I’ll deal with it. Skipping the Mild as my next brew as it will be time for Irish stout.
So not Dry January, just “Drier” January. A smart approach. :D

Back