What are you doing with homebrew today?

Brewing a pale ale today. I'm trying out a new malt bill that uses 90% Vienna and 10% Honey malt. Hops are Superdelic and Anchovy lol I think the hop breeders are running out of names. I also have a CO2 line open and a clean keg so I put together 5 gallons of lemon ginger sparkling water. It's at 25 psi and I am shaking the keg every 10 minutes or so as I walk past to speed up force carbing

After reading from a variety of sources, I made my move today. I started by sanitizing my clean keg, then checking the connected regulator for leaks. Using some gas, I pushed out the sanitizer through a clean tube on the liquid (out) post. The purged keg was given a little pressure. The beer to be transferred was in my 3 gallon, ported and spigoted FerMonster. Using a 3 piece airlock, I rigged a connection to my gas line to be able to push from the fermenter into the empty keg. It took about 5 minutes to deliver the beer to the keg from the spigot through the out post, managing an oxygen free transfer. The gas line was reconnected to the tank, and the whole setup is in the cold garage, with the regulator set at 12 psi for a set it, forget it week (or so).

Wow!
Pictures @Herm brews please.
I gotta see if I can get to an O2 free transfer

I have probably this before but this is my simple way to O2 free transfer. The zip lock bag is on a tee ,it just gives a little surge capacity. I just back fill it with a bit of Co2 from the purged keg or a Co2 bottle

20210810_115645.jpg

Let me see if I got this correct @Minbari ?
You fill your keg with CO2 and you use that CO2 to push the beer out of the fermenter into that keg?

Edit: sorry, not minbari, but westy

Last edited:
Not sure if you were asking me ?
No perssure used all gravity. Once you plug in the posts it all equalizes . Too much pressure left ove will go out the bag.

Let me see if I got this correct @Minbari ?
You fill your keg with CO2 and you use that CO2 to push the beer out of the fermenter into that keg?
as @west1m said, that would initially get it going, but the recovery of the gas from the keg back to the fermentor would cause it to be a zero sum. honestly, unless the keg was fully purged, the return gas will have some O2 in it. I would purge the keg and pressurize the fermentor to transfer. then just open the PRV on the keg. the CO@ is heavier than o2 and will blanket the beer until it is full.

I have probably this before but this is my simple way to O2 free transfer. The zip lock bag is on a tee ,it just gives a little surge capacity. I just back fill it with a bit of Co2 from the purged keg or a Co2 bottle

View attachment 28108
Thanks for the picture @west1m! With my plan to start kegging, I have started thinking about how to do transfers from a Speidel to a keg.

That is just a simple way, my kegs are purged fully. lately I havent even been opening them between brews . Just pressure starsan in and shake like crazy and out till it runs clear and use again.

Last edited:
Use silicone hose on the bottom so if it gets a little plug while transfering just squeeze it a few times and it will clear. Maybe not the fastest transfer but the simplest and I know it is O2 free.

After reading from a variety of sources, I made my move today. I started by sanitizing my clean keg, then checking the connected regulator for leaks. Using some gas, I pushed out the sanitizer through a clean tube on the liquid (out) post. The purged keg was given a little pressure. The beer to be transferred was in my 3 gallon, ported and spigoted FerMonster. Using a 3 piece airlock, I rigged a connection to my gas line to be able to push from the fermenter into the empty keg. It took about 5 minutes to deliver the beer to the keg from the spigot through the out post, managing an oxygen free transfer. The gas line was reconnected to the tank, and the whole setup is in the cold garage, with the regulator set at 12 psi for a set it, forget it week (or so).
Yay!
Next time use the liquid line to fill the keg, not the gas line. No harm done, but the liquid line keeps the gas side dry and not-sticky and avoids splashing/turbulence in the keg.

Wow!
Pictures @Herm brews please.
I gotta see if I can get to an O2 free transfer
Sorry, I did not take any pictures. I went into the process with a fair bit of anxiety, but I got it done without making a mess. The limited equipment on hand made for a Frankenstein contraption. For next time I need to buy some extra connectors and tubing. The FerMonster is probably not ideal for this process, maybe the Speidel would be better for closed transfers.

it's all ice on the roads here in clever mo @Minbari, it could just be rain when it gets to you but coming your way
That sucks! I hope you thaw sooner than we did. Here in Eugene, we were housebound from last Saturday through Tuesday because of the ice. When we finally ventured out on Wednesday afternoon, it was still sketchy. There are still piles of ice all around town as of yesterday evening.

That sucks! I hope you thaw sooner than we did. Here in Eugene, we were housebound from last Saturday through Tuesday because of the ice. When we finally ventured out on Wednesday afternoon, it was still sketchy. There are still piles of ice all around town as of yesterday evening.
we had a 13 day ice storm here years a go that knocked out all power and cell towers, damaged half the cities power lines, this should be fine

Sorry, I did not take any pictures. I went into the process with a fair bit of anxiety, but I got it done without making a mess. The limited equipment on hand made for a Frankenstein contraption. For next time I need to buy some extra connectors and tubing. The FerMonster is probably not ideal for this process, maybe the Speidel would be better for closed transfers.
I've seen people add keg posts to a Fermonster lid and use it for pressure transfers just fine. The PET can handle a few PSI before rupturing. I think there's a whole thread on homebrewtalk

Back