What are you doing with homebrew today?

I have the opposite problem with mine. If I tighten it too much, can't get the bugger open again without twisting the screen body. I put some FS grease on the threads last time, which helped. Not fond of using that stuff where it can make contact with the beer, but sometimes I don't find an alternative.
"They" do sell beer lube for that.

Next time don't do it up so much lol it don't need to be water tight :p

"They" do sell beer lube for that.

Next time don't do it up so much lol it don't need to be water tight :p
I really didn't think I'd tightened it that much, but it doesn't take much to make stainless steel gall and seize. Haven't done it again since. Tighten with the fingertips, nothing more. I kinda think maybe some hop goo got in it and 'glued' the threads. I try not to let the top go down in the boil because what's the point in having a 400 micron screen if the lid has 1/8" holes in it? Not gonna stop much hops litter that way. One of the things that made me go "Huh?" when I took it outta the box.

I really didn't think I'd tightened it that much, but it doesn't take much to make stainless steel gall and seize. Haven't done it again since. Tighten with the fingertips, nothing more. I kinda think maybe some hop goo got in it and 'glued' the threads. I try not to let the top go down in the boil because what's the point in having a 400 micron screen if the lid has 1/8" holes in it? Not gonna stop much hops litter that way. One of the things that made me go "Huh?" when I took it outta the box.
Yeah I use it for dry hopping more than in the boil. In the boil I use one of them fabric hop sock things and clamp it to the kettle using bulldog clip.

I use it in the boil as it is all I have.
But even though mine doesn't have big holes in the lid, I use it without lid.
Small batches ;)
I can stand it upright in the pot and add hops to it at any time during the boil

Brewing a wheaty beer..
Milled grains, heated water.
Sudden inspiration:
I got a small trivet, lemme put it in the pot and add the bag of grains while heating to 65-67 oC.
Not a good plan. Temperature layers in the pot, so difficult to measure temp. Once I realised, I pulled out the bag. Temp of liquid in pot 75 oC :(
Added some fridge water to drop it and put the bag back. Main part of mash will be at 65 oC. Just hope I was quick enough in removing the grains.

Increasing mash duration to 1.5 or 2 hours.

Depending on the result, this may be moved to the "you know you did it wrong" thread

Bottled my sweet coffee stout.
IMG_20240317_093734.jpg

Got myself an impulse buy at the LHBS today. It was such an impulse that I forgot the other supplies I needed lol but this weekend I'll be milling my grain myself :)
View attachment 28846
Awesome you will Love It!

Best thing I ever bought was a grain mill

I was in such a haste to assemble mine I did get all that blue crap off it :p

Awesome you will Love It!

Best thing I ever bought was a grain mill

I was in such a haste to assemble mine I did get all that blue crap off it :p
I used to have a corona mill that was very basic, but suited my needs just fine. I gave it away when we moved, but I'm pretty excited to have a mill again. I've used this model before and it seems rock solid. It's a little finicky to assemble so I'll wait until I have some time to spend on it

Back