What are you doing with homebrew today?

I kegged simple cider. Looks pretty clear esp for something fermented wit kveik Voss.
Started a ginger drink. Its chilling now.
Got till tomorrow morning to decide if I am going to put it on beer trub or ferment on it's own. In which case I will start another beer on the trub
Gonna be sweet dreams for me

This morning I dumped the gallon of fresh pressed and pectic enzyme treated apple juice in my sanitized 1-gallon FerMonster, sprinkled in a bit of yeast nutrient and some S-04. I am excited to see what difference the pectic enzyme brings to the party.
Is the pectic enzyme supposed to break down the pectin, or enhance it? I can remember my mother adding pectin to some fruit, but not to others, and perhaps a little gelatin as well, Her explanation was that some fruits have more than others, and jellies needed more pectin than jams to have the gelatinized consistency versus a stewed fruit consistency. I do miss her homemade jams and jellies.

Pectic enzyme break down pectinase
Pectinase enhances is responsible for setting of jam, in combination with sugar and naturally occurs in some fruit and pips.
I'm sure someone else hasnt had some glasses of wine and can explain it better ;)

Is the pectic enzyme supposed to break down the pectin, or enhance it? I can remember my mother adding pectin to some fruit, but not to others, and perhaps a little gelatin as well, Her explanation was that some fruits have more than others, and jellies needed more pectin than jams to have the gelatinized consistency versus a stewed fruit consistency. I do miss her homemade jams and jellies.
My understanding is that the pectic enzyme is supposed to break down the pectin in the juice. That in turn releases more juice, along with the aroma and flavor compounds held in the juice. In the end, after fermentation, I hope to get clearer cider enhanced with deeper aroma and flavor.
I too remember my mother adding pectin to jams (boysenberry, yum!) to thicken them.

Milling grains for tomorrow’s Red Winter Wheat.

IMG_1444.jpeg

Well i already had a leaking bulkhead and let my strike water get too hot lol perfect brewdays are boring right??
A while back, I had a run of batches where I overshot strike water temperature, but the past several have been spot on. It helps if I pay attention and don’t get distracted by silly outside stuff. Have a good brewday!

A while back, I had a run of batches where I overshot strike water temperature, but the past several have been spot on. It helps if I pay attention and don’t get distracted by silly outside stuff. Have a good brewday!
Well I wouldn't call trying to fix a leaky bulkhead getting distracted by silly stuff

Well I wouldn't call trying to fix a leaky bulkhead getting distracted by silly stuff
WTF, I am being misinterpreted all over the internet the past few days. Maybe I need to take a break from making any comments, anywhere.
For the record, I was distracted by silly stuff.
In no way was I insinuating you were distracted by silly stuff.
Have a nice day.

Back