What are you doing with homebrew today?

Just put the finishing touches on some hard cider.

Attachments

• 20231121_152118.jpg
    20231121_152118.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20231121_152045.jpg
    20231121_152045.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 41
Just put the finishing touches on some hard cider.
That is a very nice presentation, your cider looks really good. Mine seems to be coming out cloudy, but that is probably a direct result of using fresh pressed, unfiltered juice without any clarifying agents, and that is OK.

That is a very nice presentation, your cider looks really good. Mine seems to be coming out cloudy, but that is probably a direct result of using fresh pressed, unfiltered juice without any clarifying agents, and that is OK.
That is fresh pressed apple juice. You need to put some pectin in before the yeast.

I will take that into consideration, and discuss the issue with the cider boss (my wife). If the orchard is open on Friday, we’ll make the short drive out to the country for more fresh juice.

Bottled cream ale tonight, Drew Beechum's Genny Cream clone. The White Lab yeast failed me so 2 heaping soup spoons of some month old Voss slurry and 12 hours later we had krausen....so now it's Genny Kveik!
View attachment 27388
Given lemons, make lemonade. Way to stick to it, and make the best of the situation.

It isn’t exactly homebrew, but I did use one of my homebrew tools to make dinner tonight. For our dinner, my wife chose a vegetarian stew that incorporates cracked wheat. For this, we bought unmalted hard red wheat, some of which just happened to find its way into the Best IPA+ that I brewed yesterday. Whole wheat berries don’t crush themselves. So for tonight’s dinner, I brought out the trusty 2-roller grain mill and cracked a cup of wheat berries for our stew. It turned out quite well, and will make excellent leftovers.

Butt up and yeast pitched. Now I clean up. Sitting at 58 degrees. Will come down a few before fermentation kicks off.
Good work. I thought you were not going to be brewing for a while, so something must have changed.

Sample of wanna be Wheat smell right clove and subtle bannan on the nose and some fruit from the hops I think the hops are overshadowing the yeasts esters though...
20231125_142033.jpg

Kilning some Rice Malt lower this time around 90c for lighter colour and see if it gives a better head on my next rice lager.
20231125_142148.jpg

And doing a congress style mash on my latest batch of rice malt in the TM5 thermomix it can hold temps and stir the mash for me doing similar grist to water ratio I use key thing is no Enzymes just seeing if I got any natural enzymes or not
20231125_135813.jpg

Starting on the Glucanase rest lol

If I get anything interesting I'll report back to you on it...20231125_135816.jpg

Sample of wanna be Wheat smell right clove and subtle bannan on the nose and some fruit from the hops I think the hops are overshadowing the yeasts esters though...View attachment 27415
Kilning some Rice Malt lower this time around 90c for lighter colour and see if it gives a better head on my next rice lager.
View attachment 27416

And doing a congress style mash on my latest batch of rice malt in the TM5 thermomix it can hold temps and stir the mash for me doing similar grist to water ratio I use key thing is no Enzymes just seeing if I got any natural enzymes or not View attachment 27417
Starting on the Glucanase rest lol

If I get anything interesting I'll report back to you on it...View attachment 27418
Ben, that's the most adorable little mash tun I've seen so far! Perfect for those one pint batches I guess.

Today I went to lhbs and picked up grains, hops and yeast to brew my Vienna Garage Lager. I also picked up some pectic enzyme for the next batch of cider. Thursday we will drive to the country to pick up some fresh pressed juice. The orchard will be pressing juice tomorrow, so we’ll be getting some good fresh product.

Today I went to lhbs and picked up grains, hops and yeast to brew my Vienna Garage Lager. I also picked up some pectic enzyme for the next batch of cider. Thursday we will drive to the country to pick up some fresh pressed juice. The orchard will be pressing juice tomorrow, so we’ll be getting some good fresh product.
Will be cool to see if this enzyme does break down that pectin from the fruit!

Will be cool to see if this enzyme does break down that pectin from the fruit!
In addition to improving the clarity, it is supposed to unlock a little more juice, as well as liberate some of the aroma and flavor compounds. If it works, my cider will be better than it already is. I too look forward to seeing how it works. You know I will share results.

Last edited:
After missing the past 4 meetings, tonight I am going to the monthly meeting of Cascade Brewers Society. There will be a presentation called “Shaken, not Stirred” that I assume will be about yeast starters. I will be taking a bottle each of Amber Ale and Smooth Stout to share. I am eager to get some feedback from relative strangers.

Back